/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yes. I never updated the firmware because of it. Just updated the refresh rate.

Josh

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bill

I asked the guy at Abusemark and he said that all of the boards are shipping with the latest firmware and he was aware of the issue of people trying to update and geting the failure message. His guidance was quit trying to update and just make the setting changes which does work.

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I didn't update mine either after seeing the ones shipping now were updated as far as they needed to be.

4. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Cool Thanks Gary that's one less hurtle to worry about.
    Now on with the installation.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you and your families.

Bill

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh is your 18 mins with 5s or 6s? Seem to remember your were experimenting with both. And which brand of battery? Don't seem to remember you posting anything on battery brand.

Merry Christmas.

6. Josh Lambeth

That is running 2, 8000mah 5s turning nano tech's. I also have a couple 5000mah 5s nano tech's which give me around 12min of flying time. I only use the 6s on heavy payloads. I haven't had a chance to fly the epic yet so km not sure what my runtime would be with that.

Josh

7. Brad McGiveron

I did a few more tests this last week... I pretty much have the converter, MK FC, 6s etc combo dialed in for the 5DIII. I did do a test with our Epic and it wasn't so good. Mostly I think because I was running the wrong props which made my hover point at 70% and some more vibes due to overworked props and the gimbal configuration changed to maybe slightly unbalanced. I will do one last test with Graupner 14X8's and the Epic properly balanced.
    I am going make another thread going forward because I am going to take this same setup and replace it with WKM and compare the exact same components and the results.
    Anyways here is the best results I got with the converter and the 5DIII and an IS lens with 6s. Getting about 5-6 mins on a single 6s and all was completely cool to the touch.
    Out of ground affect it was rock solid, but with APC SF's it tends to be a little wishy washy at times. Probably more stability at 10 or so would change that.

Jeremy Muir likes this.
  8. Jeremy Muir

Jeremy Muir New Member

Very nice smooth as butter! I would be more than happy if my rig was that smooth.

9. Jeremy Muir

Jeremy Muir New Member

Hey Brad did your MK settings change much from the first test?

10. Brad McGiveron

Jeremy... Not a lot but some things. I went to Gyro D=10, Stability= 9, I=100, P=100, acc/comp= 95.
    I did a shoot with it today and used Graupner 14X8's and an FS-700. It was even smoother and particularly with the radians off it has no vibes or anything. I still get some funny jitter business with the radian roll. Nothing major but something thats not there with them off.

11. Jeremy Muir

Jeremy Muir New Member

How does it go in the wind/breeze? With these settings.
    I’ve been playing around with the MK settings a fair bit, I can get it nice and stable for slow stuff but I can’t get rid of a small bouncing/pitching in forward flight.
    I agree with you about the Radians being a tad too pro active, it would be good if they had a dampening option like tail gyros on the acceleration and deceleration, I would rather a horizon that was slightly out of level then jittering.
    I was going to try out some Zeal or even do what they do on allot of Gyro’s and FBL units gyro tape, metal plate, gyro tape and then the Radian to isolate any small vibes on the roll Radian to see if I can dampen it out mechanically.

12. Brad McGiveron

For a flat 8 it works pretty well in the wind with those settings. Just the Radians performance seem to fall off at that point as the roll jitter starts to get worse. I agree that a software dampening setting around level would probably help a lot as I don't think its totally a mechanical issue after seeing this setup with the Radians off.

13. Tim Trieschmann

Tim Trieschmann New Member

Brad, I get 6 1/2 minutes with my 5DMarkIII and I run a stock Cinestar 8 360. I use the 28mm IS Prime Lens and run 1-8000mah zippy battery. All electronics are MK. and it doesn't overheat, however, its pretty much maxed out. I could get away with 2-5000 mah in parallel as the additional weight would be minimal, but adding another 8,000mah to it makes the copter a bit heavy and it will get near max temps on the BL's.

14. Brad McGiveron

Ya that's the problem with the stock MK Cinestar... it is working pretty hard with a 5D2/3. Plus it gets real hot for folks in warmer climates and it takes 8000 mah like you say, to run for 6 mins. With 6s its 6 mins for 5000 mah plus nothing is warm at all because its barely working with 8kg payload. The biggest advantage is it will fly in this config with near 11kg AUW and maybe slightly more. With Josh's longer booms and 15" props, even more payload all at the same workload level of the stock setup which maxed out at maybe 7kg AUW.

I never tried lifting our Epic with the stock MK config and used WKM to get us 6s and larger motors but this is an option to do it with the MK FC fairly cheaply. The same I2C pitfalls exist so it's not fool proof.

15. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Very smooth even close to the ground, nice work Brad.
    One question, did you ever try using MK ¨Motor smooth¨ setting, other than def 0?

Regards.

/Janne

16. Brad McGiveron

No I didn't... Have you tried it?
    I remember seeing people trying it but I couldn't see if it did much for them.

17. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Did test it a bit, but no real conclusion about what it does that the PID dont?!
    A value of ¨2¨ does seem to smooth things out a bit,
    and a value of ¨5¨ is too smooth, makes it look like the pilot is slowly getting drunk ;-)

18. Jozsef Fekete

Jozsef Fekete New Member

Dear Josh!

I was reading your Cinestar`s update plan,and it is helped a lot for me too.
    It was success?How it work's for you?
    I am not clear about the Precision I2C-->PWM Converter's assembly,wireing,connecting.I wondering if you can help me out,with some link,or attachment,anything..
    I have all MK electrics as well on the Cinestar.
    Thank You

Jozsef

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jozesf take a look at the iI2C converter at www.abusemark.com. The manual is also on the site.

20. Josh Lambeth

Hey Guys,
    Thought I would give a little update.

I am still fighting some odd stability issues. I will be going out and re-tuning the FC again today... Not real happy about having to do this again but im just not 100% sure how to smooth it out more. I did some flights in a 5-10mph wind and the footage was virtually un-usable... This is disappointing to me since it seems to work great in no-wind conditions... but there is still some odd movements.

I am going to be swapping my FC for a different MK FC and see if there is maybe something odd with the FC I am currently using? I can't get Alt. Hold to work either (shoots straight up in the air as soon as I activate it) so I am wondering if there is something up with the board.

Ill report back with my findings.

Josh

Jeremy Muir likes this.