/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK tec question!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustav Raberg, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Someone will like to share MK settings for CS6 without radians and CS gimbal?

Next couple weeks Ill be installing the roll radian and 14 inch props, but want to have this setting working properly.

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it.

Mark

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

When you update the fimware, Mark:

1. Make a note of any custom settings you've made with MK Tool. They'll most likely get reset.
    2. Be sure to recalibrate the ACC after the update.
    3. If you have a MicroSD card in the Navigation Control board, delete the SETTINGS.INI file -- it'll get recreated.
    4. Recalibrate the compass before the bird's next takeoff.

Andy.

3. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

I updated firmware last night on FC and Navi-Ctrl. Today I updated settings, recalibrated ACC (see pics) and recalibrated compass. I will test the bird tomorrow :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this does not fix it, most likely I think its the Gyros, what you guys think?

Mark

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hard to say, Mark. There's something internally contradictory in the idea that the gimbal stabilization only works below 5m and not above. Can't quite get my head around that, I'm afraid.

Andy.

5. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

So I tested this morning with three different batteries with SW for FC 0.88n. Initially it did not let me take off because of compass error, I had calibrated properly the compass yesterday, so I clicked on the ignore magnet error on startup in the MISC tab.
    1. The PH and AH work great, no scares this time.
    2. The gimbal did not had the extreme roll it did before :) , pictures I took where way more leveled than before, acceptable in my book. I think the MK is not that fast adjusting the roll, I'm sure it will improve once I install the Radian on the Roll.
    3. I also noticed that the breeze outside my house is very high pass certain height, I was checking motors consumption and temp close to the ground where all even, once it was over 15m, front engines were compensating.

I noticed that magnetic field needs to be checked... Dont know how to fix this.[​IMG]

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Mark

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mark:
    The magnet field error is just a reflection of the need to recalibrate the compass.
    I'm not quite sure what to say to the roll axis issue.
    The wind at higher altitudes would certainly cause some turbulence and "curl over" around obstacles on the ground, but even so, that should not cause the effect you were seeing on the roll axis.

Andy.

7. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Mark,
    Are you getting I2C errors in all you flights?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good catch, Arthur. I'm rushing to get ready for today's shooting and overlooked those I2C errors. That's the internal electronic bus between the various MK Boards, Mark. Not sure those would account for gimbal problems, but something's definitely wrong if you're seeing those.

Andy

9. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Yes, out of the three flights I got three errors on "compass is disturbed by magnetic fields"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I calibrate compass again? Or what you guys suggest? Many thanks!

Mark

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Check all the connections between the various MK Boards. I would worry more about removing the I2C bus errors than the compass errors -- although you should certainly re-calibrate the compass -- those errors should not be happening either.

If, after checking all the connections between the various MK Boards, it might be worth re-upgrading all the software on the Flight Control and Navigation Control boards, just as a possible preventative action.

Andy.

11. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

I verified all connections and are all OK, I re-upgraded software, and get the same I2C errors, all BL's look fine. Dont know how to troubleshoot this I2C issue :( Before the upgrade I did not had I2C errors.

I appreciate the help.

Mark

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mark:

Can you try a diagnostic strategy of "take stuff out until it works?" That's to say, if you have the GPS and Navi-Control, can you unplug them and do a short flight and see if you still get the I2C errors?

If you do, that suggests that the issue is between the Flight Control and the Power Distribution -- in which case, go the route of soldering the wires directly between the FC and PDB (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...wiring-from-distro-to-fc.642/page-2#post-7659).

If you don't, then connect the GPS and Navi-Control back up and see if the I2C error return and we'll figure out what to do then.

Andy

13. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Andy, good morning.

If I disconnect the Navi-Ctrl, how will I detect the I2C errors? Wouldn't it stop recording the log if I disconnect it?

Mark

14. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

So I flew tested it with the MK GPS disconnected from the Navi-Ctrl and the flight log did not record. Same I2C errors, 26 and 41 while everything connected properly.

Mark

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My mistake -- in my rush to get back on set (I'm shooting video for another DVD), I skipped over part of my thinking:

1. Remove props.
    2. Connect up MK Tool to copter and power up copter.
    3. Select values for Scope to show I2C bus errors.
    4. Start Scope.
    5. Start motors and apply small amount of throttle to simulate flight (and create a certain amount of electrical noise).
    6. Observe I2C bus error values.

See, I really didn't leave out too much, did I?
    Sorry about that Mark. o_O
    I owe you a beer or two.

Andy.

16. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Andy, no worries at all.

In step 3, what values do you recommend to spot the I2C errors?

In step 6 you are referring to window where it shows BL errors right? I think its [13].

[​IMG]

Dont know exactly what I'm looking for here, or if I do, nothing is showing up.

Lets leave it as I owe you couple beers, not the other way around ;).

Thanks again.

Mark.

17. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Bump...

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry, Mark. Since the move to the new server I don't seem to be getting email from some threads when a new message is posted -- couple that with the fact that I'm heads down on a video shoot/edit -- so I'm slower to respond.

In MK Tool, just below the central green display, there is the Scope button.
    Click on that and scroll down until you see I2C Error. Click on it's check box.
    Then to the right of the central green display, click on Scope START. You'll see the I2C error count being traced out.
    Down the lower left hand corner, I think you will also see the I2C cumulative count of errors.

You can check on both I2C errors and the number of samples where the I2C bus is Okay.

See the image below. I've added red rectangles to the various parts of the screen to which I'm referring.

Andy

MK Tool I2C Error with scope.PNG.png

19. Mark Lawson

Mark Lawson Member

Awesome, so these are the results of simulated flight without props, while running I2C error scope on the MK Tool:

1- As soon as I calibrate the Gyros, I get 5 I2C error on the graph and I2C error count.
    2- I give it a wide range of throttle, no additional I2C errors.
    3- I give it PH, no additional I2C errors.
    4- I give it AH, no additional I2C errors.
    5- I give it PH and AH, no additional I2C errors.
    6- I give it Carefree by itself, with a mix of PH and AH, no additional I2C errors.
    7- I give it a photo trigger, with a mix of PH and AH, no additional I2C errors.
    8- I turnoff engines, re-calibrate and get 5 more I2C errors.
    9- I do steps from 2 to 8 again, with no additional I2C errors.

So my conclusion is, the connections to the BL's and motors are OK. Could be the gyro? altitude sensor? GPS? At least I think we've counted off the rest. What you think Andy? We getting close mate :D

Mark.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm.
    So it's recalibration of the gyros that appears to trigger the I2C bus errors.

That would seem to point the finger (the middle one) at the Flight Control board and the solid-state gyros.

Any chance you might have (or could beg, borrow, or steal) a second Flight Control board just to swap out your current one?

Can you confirm that the tests above were done with the navigation control boards' ribbon cables disconnected (so that the GPS and NC board would not be powered up)?

If so, can you connect'em back up and try the tests again. Just want to see if that changes anything....

Plan B is to crack open some Seco and contemplate the Universe.... :)

Andy.