/dist/images/branding/favicon

VORTEX // Freefly MoVI iPhone Piece with 360 Roll

Discussion in 'Movi - Cinema Robot Showcase (Photo / Video)' started by Tim Sessler, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Hi guys -

Its been a ton of fun to experiment with interesting roll moves on the MoVI for the past years.
    Needless to say, I had to take the new MoVI for a spin and try out some wild 360 moves.

Shot on iPhone 8 with Moment 'New Wide Lens'.

Enjoy! :)

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  2. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

Nice work Tim!! Definitely sucks you into the Vortex.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Some days this is what life in today's world feels like for me.
    (Seriously, as always, nice work, Tim!)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Alessandro Garabaghi

5. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi Tim,

absolutely amazing work

I‘d like to know your experiences with the OIS. DJI and its OSMO Mobile for example has big issues with wobbly video on devices like iPhone X cause of OIS. How about MOVI?

What makes the difference between this gimble and the others out there? Not regarding to design but functions?

Cheers, Frank

6. Alessandro Garabaghi

Are you just repeating what you read on the dji forum? I have a dji osmo and iphone x and have used serveral apps and have no experienced that jitter. Unless my eye are just not seeing it. I can upload some footage from my iphone x using the moment lens and osmo with counter weight.

One benefit i see from the freefly is that the form factor of the gimbal itself might help block wind a bit better as you can position it closer to your body unlike the handle style gimbals (osmo / smoothq).

7. Frank Algermissen

Hi Alessandro,

"just repeating" would be a bit too easy ;-) No, I did lots of research thought the web and checked several example footage. Even DJI themself agree about the problem. Also Freefly knows about the problem of OIS and iPhone X:

"...OIS technology and implementation is much better in terms of working with our stabilizing system, in the latest generation of iPhones (X and 8/8 Plus), than it was in previous generations (6 Plus & 7/7 Plus).

We have found in our testing, that turning the OIS completely off is actually worse for stability of footage, due to the sensor bouncing around on springs with nothing to keep it still. We are still exploring other options to optimize this experience, including an option to allow the app to control the status of the OIS system on the phone...
    "

So it seems I am not totally wrong when asking ;-) If okay for you I'd like to have a look on your footage taken with a DJI OSMO Mobile and iPhone X.

8. Alessandro Garabaghi

No problem. I had found that DJI addressed the issue with the latest firmware.
    What would you like tested:

iPhone Camera App on Osmo 4k60
    FilmicPro on Osmo 4k60 w/ out filmicpro stabilization
    FilmicPro on Osmo 4k60 w/ filmicpro stablization
    DJI Go App on Osmo 4k30 (i believe that is all i can provide in the DJI Go App)

9. Frank Algermissen

This is not only a software but also hardware issue by the way. Nevertheless I am not focused on what others do (or don't) but how Freefly handle this. As we all know you cannot deactivate the OIS of an iPhone, so also Apps like Filmic Pro doesn't help. Therefor its also a question of hardware - as far as I know.

10. Alessandro Garabaghi

I was under the impression filmic pro stabalization mode disabled OIS.

Check this I dont have the osmo at work, but this was just free hand. To me, the iphone ios camera app and filimic pro with stab on are very similar, while Filmic Pro with stab off seems to turn off the hardware OIS?

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  12. Frank Algermissen

Hi Gary, sorry for that! User name is changed ✓

13. Alessandro Garabaghi

1 clip is osmo DJI go app with moment wide and 50g weight
    2 clip is filmic pro stab off with moment wide and 50g weight
    3 clip is filmic pro stab in with moment wide and 50g weight

Gonna stick with stab on and filmic pro