/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pro Ring Problems- Alternative Solutions?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Noah Stout, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Noah Stout

Noah Stout New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got my Movi Pro today and set everything up. I'm a previous M15 owner. Everything is going well except for the Ring with my rig on it. The rig is an Alexa Mini powered by the Movi, with a Zeiss ZF lens, Redrock Torque motor plugged directly into the Movi, and a Teradek transmitter. It's a pretty basic setup, maybe bigger than average, but certainly a common one I'd expect for a Movi Pro and not near the 15lb limit.
    My big gripe right now is that with my rig on the Movi (which is not excessively heavy) when the camera pans to the left the corner of the right movi arm bumps the ring. It's due to the pan balance having to be pushed back, but again it's not excessively far. In majestic mode it's not really getting that far often but in dual op it does. On the left side I have about an inch to spare. There's no way that I can see to adjust the system left/right (like you could on the M15) and you can't move the toad-n-the-hole on the top of the ring to off set it. Why is there an issue like this on normal and common Movi setup, or am I doing something wrong? I'm surprised the ring wasn't designed about an inch more diameter or with the ability to shift the rig to the left on the ring.
    My other problem with the Ring, which has been discussed a lot, is that it is hard to travel with. I have a case that's working without the Ring in it and I don't want to purchase an enormous case that fits the ring inside. So I'm considering other solutions.
    I saw on the forum someone has used the Ronin 2 Ring, which does separate in half (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-ring-with-feet-added.9027/ comment #5). And there is also the Cinemilled Pro Ring. Has anyone had any success with these? Can someone please explain to me how to get a toad mounted to one of these 25mm rings so the Movi Pro would fit right on? Does anyone have the weight of the Cinemilled Kit with feet and toad compared to the Movi Ring? Their solution looks good for customizing the ring diameter and breaking down for my case. Ronin 2 Ring also seems to break down nicely, would be lighter than Cinemilled, but I'm not sure of the diameter.
    Thanks!
    (and sorry for the long post, I figured I'd be thorough :)

2. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

3. Noah Stout

Noah Stout New Member

Has anyone had any luck with other solutions? Can someone help me figure out the best way to get a Toad/NinjaStar onto another 25mm tube? The classic handlebar could just be taken apart and slid onto another tube but there's gotta be a less expensive and more modular way. I don't think I'd trust something like this holding 15lb and moving around, haha-https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Clamp-Ronin-M-Ronin-Freefly/dp/B01LWMPJOL
    I guess just using classic handlebars solves the issue of the ring bumping the side and the travel issues, but the ring is amazing for putting down between takes and for gripping all over the thing.
    Cinemilled still seems like an option, but an update from research is it is about 4lb or so.

4. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I put a counterweight on the opposite side. Mine was hitting on the left side when balancing so I added a little weight on the right side of the rig and rebalanced yaw. Problem solved. The weight is tie wrapped to the right forward facing arm. It's about 3 ounces.

The pan balance is never perfect but at least now I can get it to have equal spacing left and right.

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hey Noah,

Easiest way to get a toad onto a 25mm boom is to make a clamp. If you can't find anything already made out there I can build one for you.

Cheers

Chris