/dist/images/branding/favicon

(ask) Raven n M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mandra Widya, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Mandra Widya

Mandra Widya New Member

hi..can i used M5 with Red Raven ? (red raven is more lite not like the other red)
    sorry for newbe question. thanks

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

there is a thread on here somewhere with one-set-up

3. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

M5 has the same motors as M10/15.
    With some minor modification, M5 can easily take all Dsmc2 bodies such as Weapon, Scarlet-W, Raven. Canon C100/300 will also work, and Epic too.
    However, you have to keep your setup minimal. If you want to mount a full rig with follow focus, heavy PL lens etc. you must get M15.

4. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

Are you sure about this?
    It would be a waste to damage the motors.
    Officially a C300 is too heavy for a M5, and probably too long as well.

And what modifications are you referring to?

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

6. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

What does your Epic setup weigh?

7. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

I am 100% sure. Weight is actually not the problem. M5 can easily take payload up to 3.5kg or more.

However, balancing especially in the tilt axis is much much harder with heavier setups because limitation in the cage size of the M5. The trick is to replace standard rods with longer ones to accommodate bigger cameras.

I still dont understand why Freefly charges x-times the amount of M5 for M15 only for bigger cage and more rigid connectors (metals instead of plastic).

Tomas Nadler likes this.
  8. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

The reason I ask specificly for the weight is, because you apparently have experience with it up till a certain weight.
    That number might give anyone willing to experiment an idea on till what weight you have good experiences.
    Numbers do matter. :)

I think they use the metal connector because enertia of greater mass asks for it.
    Plus: any decent engineer uses a safety margin in the maximum payloads, stress and applied forces.

9. Thai Christen

Thai Christen Member

Up to 3.3kg easy. I didnt have the opportunity to push it farther because there was no need.
    But I am sure M5 can withstand even higher payload since motors are the same.
    The metal connectors might have an impact on stability and enertia. But still dont believe it is worth 4x the M5 to go to M15.
    My take is, with the modification the M5 will come close to M10 in terms of balancing in tilt axis and payload. So I would skip M10 and go straight to M15 if you need heavier setup.

Or look somwhere else. Dji just released Ronin Mx, and Gremsy the H7 which both are supposed to take Red Epic stripped down.

Walter Brokx likes this.
  10. Klaus Friedrich

Sounds great, but I encounter some balancing issues when using a Zeiss Milvus lens.
    As you see from the photo I hardly have space in the back. If I mount the battery it's even less (0.5cm)
    So what is your trick to have enough room for the tilt axis? At your photos in the other threat it's not obvious how you power the Dragon.
    With the current setup I even can't use the LEMO plug at the DSMC2 V-Lock I/O Expander as the connector would block the tilt axis.
    Do I have to change the length of the tilt tubes? I would like to avoid this.

2016-06-30 18.17.02.jpg

Tomas Nadler likes this.
  11. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I checked the weight of Milvus and they are around 700-800 grams.

I see that you are using the base expander module for Raven. I think that's causing the limits. I would use jetpack expander module for Raven, whose HDMI and power inputs are vertical, not horizontal.

Another option would be to use extended arms but it's so hard to remove one of the arms since its bearing part is glued inside to the carbon boom.

12. Klaus Friedrich

I use the DSMC2 V-Lock I/O Expander as it has audio-in whereas the jetpack expander doesn't have audio.
    For drone footage audio is useless but for gimbal operations I always used it.
    Just found a right angle power extension cable from wooden camera which shouldn't block the tilt axis.
    But with this sort of setup the M5 is really at it's limits ;-)

13. Tomas Nadler

Tomas Nadler New Member

Hi Klaus,

would really be interested what cable you are refering to from wooden camera as I am at the same stage as you are with
    the RAVEN in the M5 ? However further question re the monitor of the RED, did you mount it on the top bar of the MOVI while using
    DSMC2 Lemo Adaptor ?

Regards & thank you for feedback, Tomas

14. Klaus Friedrich

Hi Tomas,
    sorry for the late reply, missed your question.

It's this cable:
    https://www.woodencamera.com/d-tap-to-epic-scarlet-dragon-weapon-braided-flex-p/208800.htm

And I keep the monitor mounted on the camera. But I also use the "foolcontrol" for the wireless control of the Raven.

15. Tomas Nadler

Tomas Nadler New Member

Hi Klaus,

thanks for coming back on this!

However, when you leave the monitor on the body - how do you frame your shots as the top part of the cage does not make it easy to open the monitor so you see nothing or do you preview with foocontrol either ?

If you have - a final picture of the setup would be absolutely great :) ?

Kind regards from Berlin,
    Tomas