/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help Needed with Movi Pro Settings

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Neil Willis, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

Thanks guys, I'll try it at 20 and see what happens.

Anyone from freefly able to chime in and confirm this would be the way to go?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And if it is due to a light camera setup add weight to the gimbal. Number of threads on issues with relatively light cameras and how to add weight on the forums.

Sorry you are not getting a lot of responses but the M600 may be the issue with the damping system. FreeFly in the Cinestar series had three level of damping O rings, soft/med/hard, to help address different gimbal/camera weights. Maybe that is something to also look at on the M600.

3. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I have an M600 as a back up set up and get good results with the Pro. That's using an Alexa mini though. You do see a few more bumps getting through than you do with the Alta but not a lot.

4. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

So i went out again today to try and see the new hold strengths would give. I dropped the motor strength a bit from what they were last time but upped them from the autotune settings. So P80 R70 T50 and Hold strength was 35 on all.

A little windy today but nothing too bad. Whats your thoughts (forget the focus and framing!!)

In all honesty would you give this to a client?

Jump to 30s.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Neil: You might need to run the footage through the the stabilization filter (presuming you're using Adobe Premiere).

The other thought is that if you suspect you have stabilization issues with the MoVI Pro ("MP"), then, with the M600 powered off, just "hand fly" the M600 + MP around and see what kind of footage you get. If you still have concerns about the resulting footage, then it is likely that the MP needs more tuning. If the footage you get meets your requirements, then it is perhaps the M600 causing the issue (as Gary suggested).

One thing to check is that there is nothing of any significant mass on the MP that can move around -- it can cause a "pendulum" oscillation that the MP would have a hard time dealing with. So everything with any heft to it has to be absolutely tightly mounted on the MP. The other question (as I don't have an M600), is whether the rotor-wash from from the props is impinging on the MP and causing issues -- again the "hand flying" might let you determine whether that's the case.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

Hi Andy,

The problem is not vibration, but how stable the footage is. If footage needs to go through a filter then its not good enough to hand over to the client (That take me back years ago when i was using servo driven gimbals!)

Everything is secure and fixed to the cage so i don't think thats an issue, however your prop wash suggestion is an interesting point although i thought the Movi Pro would be able to handle that?

I dont know if i'm being super critical having come from a Zenmuse background or if it should be better than this????

I also tried out a 90mm lens on my Inspire X5R this morning and this seemed more stable :-0

7. Robin Opgård

Robin Opgård New Member

Hi Neil.

I dont think you can really compare Zenmuse and Movi. The video was a bit low quality, but I thought your pictures looked pretty decent. But on a long lens it sure would be more noticable. The Zenmuse feels very "mechanical" and rigid. Its too perfect. Its too stable. Thats why I actually like the Movi - its not completely darn fixed. You can still feel the movements, and its fluid.

What I like to do is balance it perfect, and then a tad bottom heavy. I put it in the ring, place the ring on my shoe, and then autotune at 70%. Should give you some nice values, then play around with it and adjust around 10 ish down on the highest values.

Again, cant really compare it to the Zenmuse.

Good luck!

8. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

Hi Ben,

Are you flying your Alexa Mini with the Movi Pro under your M600?

9. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah thats right. Its not my main rig, I usually use the Alta 8 but i've done a fair amount of testing and flown with both the the Alexa mini and Red Weapon on the Movi Pro under the Matrice 600. I always got good results. A few more little bumps than on the Alta but nothing major

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben if the heavier cameras don't exhibit the issue then it suggests that you need to add weight to the setup to increase overall mass on the gimbal.

11. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I have not flown my Movi Pro yet but I have mounted it on dollies, cars, jib arms, rails and even a tricycle. I find that each mount requires a different tuning. Auto tune seems to work for the most part first time out as long as the mount is being held still in the same way it is going to be held when in use. I put my hand on the ring when I'm hand holding, I make sure that the Jib arm is not locked with it is mounted on a jib. When I hang it from a car the car is running and the operators hand is on the rig.

I'm going to hand the rig from a zip line next week so that is going to present some interesting tuning problems. I'll probably have somebody hold me so I don't head down the line while I hold the rig which is hanging from a second pulley on the zip line. I wold think that some kind of slightly dampened rig or even something hanging from a bungee X would simulate the movie hanging from a drone fairly well.

12. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Haven't read the whole forum posts, but for aerial config I'd recommend
    • Higher hold strengths than default 8 (try 25s)
    • Compass Heading Assist for best roll compensation. (Heading Assist:GPS option has a known issue where position lock is difficult to achieve.)
    • Autotune by raising the whole setup up from end of the booms

13. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

The problem is the dampers on the M600. I added water hose rubber gromets (yep the kind you buy at home depot to put in the end of your yard hose) inside the damper housings and BOOM - fixed. That footage is 100% the gimbal flopping around not the gimbal itself.

14. Neil Willis

Neil Willis New Member

Hi Chris

Can you post more info on this please. What exactly you used (pics or a link) and how you fitted to the DJI dampener?

I’d like to give this a try.

Thanks

Neil

Gerfried Guggi likes this.
  15. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Neil I PMed you - and added you on FB. much easier to explain over chat or phone. Cheers - CJ@flyskycandy.com

16. Peter Cayless

Peter Cayless New Member

Hey All,

I've just added the movi pro to the m600pro but haven't flown it yet. How's best to transmit the image back to the controllers? I'm using the DJI controller with crystal sky to fly the drone, then the futaba with small hd. I'd like to use the dji LB2 to send the image back but as the movi spins under the drone obviously can't hard wire it. I'd like the camera feed on both controllers rather than none on the pilots or fpv. Thought about using a teradek but seems a little big and heavy. If I can get the image to the pilots controller then I can HDMI to the other smallhd. Would love your thoughts and feed back.