/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED D-TAP to Lemo Cables

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Brandon Obey, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

I am about to purchase the WC RED D-Tap to Lemo Cable, but I wanted to know the difference between the Wooden Camera RED D-TAP cable and the RED D-TAP cable that Freefly sells. Does one distribute power better than the other? Is there really a difference other than the FreeFly cable is more lightweight and shorter?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Depending on your needs, you might also check Amazon for that cable. There are a few companies that make them pretty cheap, but their cables tend to be chunkier. Freefly has some really nice cable that they use.

I have backup cables from Amazon suppliers like Eonvic and Workhorse. I particularly like Freefly's Arri Mini DTap cable, though.

3. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

I noticed some off brand cables for DTAP cables for the Alexa Mini gave us different readings for battery consumption when I was teching a feature last month thats why I asked.

I am looking for a good go to cable until I can purchase more. I didn't know if there was a polarity issue with WC cable vs the FreeFly cable. If there was then I will definitely pay $300.

4. Graham Futerfas

The Freefly cable is kind of short at under 10 inches. They probably assume you're using the Jet Pack Module, but you should make sure it will reach the module you're using. It will be a high quality, super-flexible cable, I'm sure. They put a lot of thought and care into their cables.

The Wooden one looks more useful at 16 inches, in my opinion. I like a little slack in case I need to slide the camera back for counterbalance, or whatever. It may be less flexible.

I haven't seen issues with power draw on these other brands, but I use them mostly for backup. All these cables should have correct Polarity, and the DTap outputs on the Movi are standard.

Which DSMC2 RED module do you use? Or is it an original DSMC Scarlet\Epic Dragon?

Brandon Obey likes this.
  5. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

I am using the JetPack SDI Expander on a Scarlet-W.

6. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

So I just tried using the WC D-TAP Power cable with the Movi Pro and my whole setup (Movi Pro, Scarlet-W w/ JetPack SDI, 4.7 Monitor using WC Male Pogo to Female Pogo connector) keeps shutting down out of nowhere.

I tried mounting the WC Male Pogo to Female Pogo in the front and on the side of the camera and I still keep getting shutdowns.

Using this cable to power the camera: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...n_camera_wc_170500_d_tap_power_cable_for.html

I am going to return it and get the Freefly DTAP Cable

I used a Right angle D-Tap power cable from my Ronin accessories to power an Epic- MX w/ my Movi Pro before and never had these sporadic shutdown issues. So, I believe it may be the Wooden Camera cable.

The only other thing it could be would be the Jetpack SDI Expander which I doubt, but if the Freefly cable doest work then it could be the Jetpack.

7. Graham Futerfas

I have a theory that it may have to do with the Pogo cable connection, based on three different conversations this week, here and on Facebook. In this Facebook Freefly group discussion, one guy found that updating the firmware helped him:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1136956729654796/

Look for a thread posted on September 5th.

Brandon Obey likes this.
  8. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

Hey Graham, I will try that update. I havent updated the Movi Pro to the latest firmware since I got it.

Today , I went back to the WC Dtap cable and tinkered with it. As of now no shutdowns even with the Pogo cable connected to the side port.