/dist/images/branding/favicon

Auto Tune over tuning pan motor, slight buzz, Why?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Azzie Scott, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

I have a RED Weapon balanced really good and when I perform auto tune, my pan motor stiffness always sets between 150-176, so as a result I hear a low buzz on the pan motor. Nothing load or crazy but definitely audible. I found it a little abnormal. I was told by a Freefly tech that I shouldn't be hearing anything from the motor it should be quiet. He stated the sound I'm hearing is from over tuning. But why is my Movi over tuning? Ive tried everything, Ive checked every screw, made sure nothing is loose and made sure the toad in the hole was secure and tight. I can here the low buzz even sitting a few feet away from my Movi. If i lower the stiffness down to 50 then the noise goes away, but I feel that setting is too low for my camera set up. Can someone offer input.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's a common problem I've seen with AutoTune, especially in the Pan Motor. You can reduce stiffness, increase Filter, reduce Hold Strength... these things should help. I use AutoTune but I often adjust tuning manually after.

What AutoTune Percentage do you use? I typically run 50%. Do you tune with the Movi in the Ring sitting on the floor (carpet\wood?), or a dock, or keeping a hand on it, etc.?

3. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

I usually to auto tune at 70% but I've tried 50% as well. I have also auto tuned on the floor and while holding it,becasue thats the way I would shoot.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Azzie: Just a shot in the dark here, but when you Autotune are you holding the MoVI Pro as you intend to use it, or are you Autotuning it in the stand?

You should tune as you want to use it....hand holding the ring has a dampening effect that is taken into account by the autotune mechanism.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

Hi Andy, yes I auto tune while holding it and while on the floor or table and I still get a high pan stiffness.

6. Graham Futerfas

In my experience, 70% is going to give you too much buzzing.

The Ring doesn't like tuning on hard floors, like wood or tile. Carpet is better -- it can stop from sliding and vibrating around. I usually tune with it sitting in a dock on a stand, and while I keep one hand on it.

By adjusting some settings manually after an AutoTune, you should be able to at least get rid of the buzz from occurring full-time, especially when the gimbal is just sitting there. It might still buzz a tiny bit as you pan the gimbal, but try increasing the filters and decreasing the stiffness. With a RED and a prime lens, I'd expect to see between 80 and 130 stiffness, and I like to increase my Hold Strengths to 20 or so. Output Filter to 3-ish. Use the red 'noise indicators' in the app to help.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The other thing to note (and apologies if you're already doing this) is that the "sweet spot) can often be plus/minus one or two units so you really need to "sneak up" on the sweet spot by incrementing/decrementing in units of one, not ten. In the early days I'd overshoot/undershoot the sweet spot because I was using +/-10 units and I'd never find the sweet spot....

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Graham Futerfas

I'll have to be more patient with my manual tuning, then. I'm usually in such a rush on set.

I think we got the idea of +/-10 units from one of the original videos Tabb made on tuning the Movi M5\10. Remember this video?

He would dial the stiffness up until it started buzzing and then back it off 40 or 50 units.

9. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Haven't read the whole thread but its important that you tune on the mount you will use it. If its mounted to ALTA, you'd want to raise ALTA from its booms and have MōVI autotune while its hanging. If you'll use handheld, then you'll get better results autotuning while holding it rather than on table.

Also after tuning, checking tilt at different angles is a good idea, as it might be mechanically less stable lets say looking down vs forward. If you tune while tilt is looking forward, then see that it oscillates when its looking down, then its a clue that you should instead autotune when tilt is looking down to cover the worst case.

70% is pretty good. However if you are going to put MōVI into different mounts in a short amount of time, you might want to go down to 50% so it tolerates different mechanical structures.

Also video would be nice too see your pan autotune issue..

10. Danie kelly Brown

Danie kelly Brown New Member

I have been going 35-45% on auto tune to avoid the buzzing.