/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is it possible to balance M15 with 3 motors on a long Fujinon 18-55mm lens?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Siddharth Sharma SS, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Siddharth Sharma SS

Siddharth Sharma SS New Member

Hi,
    Has anyone has tried or have any suggestions on balancing the new Fujinon MK 18-55mm lens with Red Epic-W on M15 with three motors for focus, iris and zoom. Since it is a long lens it will create balancing issues with the motor weight that far forward as the camera package will move all the way back. Would be great to have suggestions for this setup.

Thanks.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Benjamin Granet

From the specs of the lens I've seen, I would say that you definitely can.

I've already rigged multiple time zooms with 3 motors and I had no issues balancing them. After it all depend what FIZ you are using, what other accessories you want to ad and so on.

4. Siddharth Sharma SS

Becca Ulmo likes this.
  5. Siddharth Sharma SS

I am using Wedge for FIZ and I attach it on top of the Red and upper boom in the M15 frame. That seems like the best way to balance it for me, for now. what do you suggest for a zoom lens like this?

6. Benjamin Granet

It shouldn't be an issue with the wedge if you have light motors like the redrocks or Heden M21VE-L

I usually attach the teradek on the side of the Red to had a bit of weight to counter front heavy lenses. If you still can't balance it, you could just had some counterweight in the back as you're probably gonna be far from the weight limit. The Cinemilled system is really nice but there is manny different options.

7. Siddharth Sharma SS

Thanks. sorry for the late response. We use redrock motors. I will try and see how it goes.

8. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

OK, two motors, but plenty space in the back... and no Fujinon but Optimo.... 2015-10-22 13.41.42.jpg

Siddharth Sharma SS likes this.
  9. Siddharth Sharma SS

Thanks a lot for the Image. Very neat setup.

10. Benjamin Granet

What I usually do is keeping the MAP-2 with rods and MSB-1 side brackets on the Alexa mini. It allows to put motors closer to the body so you could put one on the Iris, it also makes the body heavier to counter balance the front heavy load.

The side brackets are also nice if you want to mount other accessories.

It's also faster if you are on a set where you have to rig the camera during the day. Less shit to take appart.

11. Mark Reedy

Mark Reedy New Member

Siddharth if you haven't seen the great baseplate from Cinemilled then I recommend having a look. It's great for long and heavy lenses as you can add weights to the back of the camera to counter it. Also helps with the top heavy RED by having the weights sit low.

https://cinemilled.com/shop/pro-dovetail-for-freefly-movi-m10-movi-m15/

Not sure how you're powering your RED but if you are mounting the battery on the camera then it will work best with a side mount instead of a rear mount. You can buy a Wooden Camera one cheap and then just use your battery plate of choice (V-Lock or AB). I also got a custom right-angle red power cable to DTAP made up so there is even more clearance.

Siddharth Sharma SS likes this.
  12. Hamad Almuftah

Hamad Almuftah New Member

The Fujinon MK 18-55mm Lens is an E-mount lens only, so It will only work with Sony camera. Unless there is an adapter from E-mount to EF or PL mount.

I do own the lens and rigged it on the M15 with the Sony A7sII plus a redrock micro for focus only.

Attached Files:

13. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Hi Hamad,

What rail system are you using there? :)

14. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Hi Wolf, Can you briefly describe the rail / lens support system you're using there? :)

15. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

? I don't understand the question? It's the standard M-15 rail and toprail....

16. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Apologies - I know I'm most likely asking a question that has a forehead smacking answer. I just want to be sure I'm looking at parts that people like yourself actually use in the field. Specifically, I'm wondering what adapter you're using there to support the lens, that's attached to the Standard Freefly rod mount system?

I've attached a photo here with an arrow pointing to it. Again, I know this is probably obvious, but I can't find the part and know that the professional users on here know their stuff. :)

Thanks Wolf.

Attached Files: