/dist/images/branding/favicon

Metal dovetails for pop'n'locks

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mike Sutton, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Scratch that. . . decided to flip 13 mm monitor mount to make the QR for mimic bars 51855121319__B5AF87C1-4255-4198-A6B9-6FE83C3A1D5E.JPG

And then used the popnlock for a isreali arm to mount the monitor so i could swivel screen around. 51855127229__CAF925D0-56AC-4496-8FA2-1215F885E831.JPG

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Boom!

Pop-N-Lock Refresh Kit

The original intent for the Pop-N-Lock was small accessories (like video transmitters, etc), but after seeing that people wanted to use them for monitors and heavier things, we came up with a beefier plate for the body of the unit, so that it can accommodate more weight.

I still would not recommend using them to hold up your entire MIMIC setup on a C-stand.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

yea. . . . pretty quickly seemed like a dumb idea.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  4. Josh Taber

Josh Taber New Member

I received an updated repair kit from Freefly and the dovetail system is much much better.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

For sure its better. I also ordered another 25mm pop and lock, and it seems the new ones come with the updated parts.

That being said, i have a 702smallhd, connex RX, and two small isreali arms on one. It still wobbles. I think the kessler plates will help, and i am definitely worried about that weight being on the plastic tabs provided by freefly. They have cracked while tightning, so im betting they could eventually give out under the weight of anything more then a monitor.

Also, the small popnlok latch moves slightly when i move whatever is latched in there, providing a little bit of play. I think i could tighten the latch, but would make it harder to open/close (also having trouble sourcing the right size bit, seems to be an in-between size in all my sets, annoying.or one of my team stripped out a smaller size, Ill just find my freefly tools and reorder screws if no luck). I may try if the kessler dovetails dont pretty much eliminate play. The play is not enough that im worried if the kessler dovetails do not eliminate it.

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Update: not a fan of updated part for heavier uses.

New pop-n-lok's do not work with the metal kessler plate, the plate is too small.

The metal plate does not help with wiggle with the older pop-n-locks ( IMO), they simply make me feel like it wont break under the shifting weight though.

The update pop-n-lock is marginally better with the included plates, but not enough to make me think the plastic tabs are not an issue..

That being said, I will not be using pop-n-lok for anything more then a HD downlink TX mount, as the system is definitely not equipped to handle significant weight. It technically works ok with the original POP-N-LOK and the kessler plate, but still with wiggle. I would return the $60 pop-n-lok update and the new 25mm pop-n-lok if shipping were free. The updated parts do not help unless your ok with all that weight (and money) on a plastic tab.

I will be using this as my monitor mount (just the mount, not the arm). its not a quick to release, but way more stability then pop-n-lok.[​IMG]

#26 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017