/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Controller vs Mimic 2

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Steven Heller, May 16, 2017.

1. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

We recently purchased the Movi Pro with the Mimic 2. The Mimic is just SO easy to use and we really love it! We have the Movi Controller from an older Movi that we owned but are now getting rid of. Is there any reason to keep the Movi Controller now that we have the Mimic with the new Movi Pro? Is there a reason to have both of them? I haven't really found anything that I can't do with the Mimic that I would need the Movi Controller for. Is there anything I'm missing? Any functions that the Movi Controller has that the Mimic does not? Or situations where I may need to use both simultaneously?

#1 Steven Heller, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Jake Wilganowski

Well technically the mimic is still in beta correct? Mine works great, really great, but not perfectly every time. A reset usually fixes any weirdness.

3. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

Is it? I'm not 100% familiar with the product line. I get a little confused between all the different versions. I have the newest version with the screen. The beta looks like it's the older version without the screen. Or are they both still beta?

4. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

In fact, looking at the Movi Pro manual again, there is definitely a difference between the Mimic and the Mimic beta. The one with the screen and button is the Mimic. The one without the screen with the knob to select the channel is the Mimic beta.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's up to you if you want to keep it. Personally, I've never liked operating with Joysticks so I've never needed the Movi Controller, but I do have Geared Wheels that see a lot of use. The Movi Controller has its place and can be useful.

The Mimic drifts a bit (constant panning), while the Movi Controller can zero itself and won't. This drifting can be very annoying on set.

The Movi Controller can do things the Mimic can't (Focus\Iris\Zoom control, camera LANC control, deeper menu control, etc). Of course, future firmware may update the Mimic to have more of these features.

Also, if you're in a moving vehicle and trying to control Pan\Tilt remotely, the Mimic's accelerometers will respond to the motion of the vehicle, so it becomes useless. A Movi Controller or geared wheels would be more appropriate in this situation.

6. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

Ahhhh, interesting. You make some great points. I'll really have to consider this. Thanks!

7. Graham Futerfas

I should mention it's possible to connect a Sony PS4 Gamepad controller to the Mimic for Joystick operation. That's a really inexpensive option. Freefly also now offers Bush Pilot for focus control.

IMG_1059.jpg

8. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

Yeah, I have the Bush Pilot (LOVE it!). It might be worth messing around with a PS4 controller to see how that works before I get rid of the Movi Controller.

9. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

What is that mount that's connected to the Mimic from the PS4 controller?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think that mount might be a Futerfas Custom Engineering Job! (FCEJ). :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas and Noel Mathew like this.
  11. Graham Futerfas

LOL ANDY!

It's a Sony Game Controller Mount (Model GCM10). If you search the forum, you'll see a few samples of how people added a 1/4-20 bolt to it. I'm crappy with hand tools, but here are some pics of the bolt and washers I used. I just drilled a hole through it. Someone else on here did a fancier job with the bolt and a Dremel or something.

IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1063.jpg

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice anyway, Graham!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

13. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

This is really up to you and your creativity! You could have multiple controllers at the same time (4 with the 1.3 release is coming soon, 3 right now). As an example you could have a MōVI Controller having pan and tilt, another one for roll, MIMIC for focus and zoom, and another MIMIC for iris.

More common cases are splitting the framing and FIZ if you have 2 controllers. If you have 3 controllers, splitting iris to DIT or DP.

Both controllers have MIMIC, FIZ and other similar features. You can use alpha wheels with both. If you like big joystick for framing, then MōVI Controller is preferred. It also has all the knobs and buttons for quick adjustments. If you like force joysticks, then new PILOT modules that connect to MIMIC will be your go to. PILOT is also great for being able to handle both framing and focus. MōVI Controller is not as ergonomic to do this. MIMIC is also more flexible and modular with all the other accessories such as gamepad and Bush Pilot.

14. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Hi Deniz,

With regards to the Movi Controller (I have never owned one) would you be able to give your opinion / advice? We run a Movi M5 with Futuba remote, and a Movi M15 as is. We were looking at getting a Movi Controller, and I know you can pair a Movi Controller with more than one Movi (so you can switch depending on which Movi you are working with) however I am confused on how to go about that. Are you able to purchase two receivers from Freefly so that you can pair the controller to different Movi's? Or how does that work?

Also, do you know if the new Mimic that was released with Movi Pro is compatible with the M15 or M5? i.e. I know I could purchase it on it's own but is it only compadible with MoviPro, and Movi XL?

Thanks for any advice and/or assistance Deniz.

15. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Sorry about the confusion. My comment relates mostly to MōVI Pro. Unfortunately for your case, all these multi controller features and MIMIC (not talking about the MIMIC Beta) integration are for new generation of MōVIs (Pro, XL, Carbon)..

16. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

That's understandable. The Movi Controller itself though is still able to Pair with two different Movi's though (not at the same time,) at least that is how I interpret the user manual - if so, how do you do that if it only comes with one receiver that you attach to your movi?

17. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member