/dist/images/branding/favicon

Akira firmware 5.0.2 bugs thread

Discussion in 'MōVI FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I for one have tried to use Akira with all my MoVIs - M5, M10 and M15. I consider myself an expert in tuning and balancing the MoVIs.

Akira has at least two issues in my opinion: In handheld mode there is clear roll drift that occurs every now and then.

Another issue is that the autotune that worked great on 4.02 at 70% on airborne mode and the drone suspended does not work at all with Akira. Nothing physical is altered on the Movi / drone / dampening but with 70% and even 60% autotune I get very bad jitter when flying with Akira.

I am not alone. At least in Finland where I live all the rental houses still use the 4.02 fw on their MoVIs because it works better and is more reliable. To the point that one 1st camera assistant made sure when I sub rented my M15 to a rental house that my MoVI had the "older" firmware.

Why complain when 4.02 is good? Because I would like to use the new features and "better stabilisation" Akira offers.

As Freefly has moved on with MoVI Pro I´m afraid Akira will be the final firmware for the old triplet of MoVIs. I hope not as the price of the three MoVIs combined with all the upragdes to M10 is well over 20.000 USD. Closer to 30.

With this kind of price in my opinion the end user has a right to expect that the firmware is perfected and early adopters supported. That way they will remain customers.

Is everyone else completely happy with Akira?!

#1 Tuukka Ylonen, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Gorka Rotaeche

In my M10 did work for a moth.
    And then I have this problem: When the Movi gets connecton with the tablet (bluetooth) the Movi doesn´t react for 20 seconds. After that works fine.
    More than 3 moths in contact with support and they can´t fix it :(
    So I use 4.2.
    Also I want to use the better stabilisation and also I´m afraid of the lack of future firmware.

Tuukka Ylonen likes this.
  3. Mark McGuire

Mark McGuire Distributor

Uploaded a file of 4.2 incase anyone is looking for it, as its not on the Freefly site anymore as far as i can see, You will have to change the file back to .bin.

Attached Files:

#3 Mark McGuire, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Does this work with iPhone? I purchased the wifi adapter to two of my MoVIs, but as the only app at app store is the one with Akira, I cannot use my wifi adapters :(

5. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

MōVI M-series doesn't have the faster processor that the Pro has, thus autotune doesn't work the same way. Most importantly, Pro can autotune the filters, which make a big difference in maximum stiffness you can achieve. You can read more at tuning section here http://freeflysystems.com/support/movi-support [Edited to fix broken link. Andy Johnson-Laird 2017-05-21]

Sounds like you are in the aerial space. I suggest putting more filter to your pan as everything you attach such as landing gear couples to that motion the most.

Attached is an example data. Note that filter values are not exactly same as the pre v5.0 firmware. Here is also more data that might be useful https://goo.gl/VDMUCZ

Attached Files:

#5 Deniz Ozgoren, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  6. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

The first link is broken.

[Tuukka: I fixed the link. Andy.]

#6 Tuukka Ylonen, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  7. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

8. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

A question about tuning: The Akira tuning video suggests you should tune each axis manually and also adjust filter values manually.
    On the other hand the Akira PDF manual suggests you should tune with autotune at 70% with full cage Movis and one lens configuration.

Which option is the recommended one?

In addition under "advanced" tab there are two more filters: Gyro filter (filters signal from IMU) and Output filter (filters the control signal sent to three motors).

Are the filters found in the "basic" tuning screen Gyro filters or Output filters or a third filter kind? And what´s the workflow? Try with the "basic" filters first and if that does not help, tamper with the "advanced" filters?

#8 Tuukka Ylonen, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

A new problem with Akira and Wifi-adapter: When I save settings to the iPhone app, it goes OK.

Whenever I try to write settings to the MoVI, the writing process tilts at exactly 46% and does not proceed even after a long wait.

In order to regain connection I have to reboot the app. Tried installing app numerous times and the MoVI (M5 in this case) is at firmware 5.0.2.

Anyone else has this problem?

Attached Files:

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Tuukka, just out of curiosity are you doing this problem near other WiFi access points, or other devices that might be causing interference?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

11. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Well there are other wifi networks visible, but other than trying to write settings, everything works as it should. I also have faced the same problem in two different locations over a kilometre apart.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Another theory of mine craters "bigly...." :(

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

13. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Sorry for that. Also if it was interference, it would be rather odd that the write always fails at exactly 46%.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That is odd. However, I have seen that kind of thing in the past -- the problem being that the percentage calculation is sometimes approximate (ask the guy who wrote the Windows "time to copy remaining files" code.) :)

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Well regardless of the percentage, as told before, the app also tilts and it has to be re-booted in order to use it. Quite a fiasco.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Could you clarify what you mean by "tilt?" The image on the screen rotates?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Application tilts = application crashes.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha -- one might say the app "falls over!" :)

Andy

19. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Always does this. No matter the location or other wifi networks.

#19 Tuukka Ylonen, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you open up a support ticket, Tuukka? Might be time to if you've not already done so.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™