/dist/images/branding/favicon

Easyrig/Readyrig? What should I get for MoviPro?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by anthonysneed, Apr 24, 2017.

1. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I'm at a complete loss looking for some king of rig that helps with the load of the movi pro.

the readyrig looks better than the easy rig but I've only ever seen easyrigs in the wild.

Any recommendations? Anyone tried both or another brand?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Ready Rig, hands down, in my opinion. It's more compact and way less expensive than Easy Rig, it's well-built by an awesome guy in Los Angeles who has excellent customer service, and it doesn't make you 8 feet tall like the Easy Rig does. The Ready Rig can go through narrow or short doorways, and it does an excellent job of taking the weight of the gimbal and making it so you can operate for a long time.

I recently got asked to operate on a 2-person interview, and with a Sony FS7 and Canon Zoom (not a heavy setup, to be fair), I was able to hold the gimbal up for 78 minutes straight without a rest. Then I put the gimbal down for 5 minutes, picked it back up, and shot for another 20 minutes. No problem, and impossible without the Ready Rig.

Not every shot is ideal for working with a vest -- it can become a crutch until you learn that sometimes your operating can be more dynamic without it. I use the vest on 50-60% of the shots I do, while some I do without the vest and some I do on mounts like jibs, cars, or short c-stands for lock-offs. But the Ready Rig is an essential part of my kit, and I couldn't imagine showing up for a shoot without it.

It takes a little getting used to, and a little practice, but Alessandro has been really good at answering questions and making videos to help you get started.

You'll have to decide if you want the Pro Arms, but you can start without them and upgrade later. I'll admit that it took a while before I started to see a lot of advantage to them, but I do extend them for really low or high shots. They were awkward at first. Most of the time I keep them retracted all the way, which is the same as the regular arms.

Check out the Ready Rig GS user's group on Facebook for more info, too. I thought I saw a discount going on somewhere but can't remember where at the moment.

3. Graham Futerfas

FYI, I saw there's a 15% NAB discount code if you know anyone in Las Vegas this week that can ask Alessandro from Ready Rig for it. I think he's in the DJI Booth. I'm not there since I'm working on a commercial this week -- with my Ready Rig! :)

4. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

I'm not at NAB but I want that discount! :(

5. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

My personal favorite gimbal support system is the Tilta Armor Man. For me, it has the greatest range of movement. I've only briefly used the Ready Rig but it is similar to the Klassen Slingshot, which I've used quite a bit. In these supports, you're using your back to pan instead of your arms. The Armor Man has 2 steadicam-like arms that work underneath your own arms so it feels more "natural" to operate. It's caveat is it's limited in terms of how high you can lift the camera. Most of the time you will be able to get eye level but you might have to get creative if talent or your subject is significantly taller than you.

6. Lane Wooder

Lane Wooder New Member

Did anyone happen to get that 15% discount code, please please please?

7. anthonysneed

anthonysneed Member

8. Graham Futerfas

You should ask on the Ready Rig Facebook page.