/dist/images/branding/favicon

I CANNOT get the Movi balanced/tuned

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Josh Hall, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Josh Hall

Josh Hall New Member

Hey all! So I've been using the Movi M10 on a few shoots and I have had three problems I was hoping someone could maybe help me with. I did buy the Movi used so it could be messed up. Please note: I have adapted a Movi Ring with some feet I made myself. I still have issues 1 and 2 even balancing it on the normal Movi M10 setup and stand.

1)
    The first, if you check out this vimeo piece (password: movi), you will see that I'm having an impossible time trying to get the tilt vertical balance correct. When I get the normal tilt balanced and get it balanced facing straight up and down, then it won't hold hardly any positions. When I balance it to hold various positions it won't hold the up/down. See the video. Note that I have watched Tabb's training videos many times. Also, spinning the camera up/down doesn't feel smooth, there feels like theres parts with more dampening/firmness possibly.

2) Second off, I'm noticing that all my footage has some tilt movement inside the window. I can literally set the window to 40 and within that window it has some light tilting. It's not a lot, but is this normal? It seems to show up in my footage quite often, even when I'm not walking.

3) Lastly, I'm using the Movi Ring and when I use the Movi Ring, I feel like there is too much weight somehow and when I am walking or moving, my hands wobble backwards and forwards-is this normal? With the ring being so much longer/taller than the normal Movi setup, I feel like when I'm walking or just simply shooting it wobbles back and forth a bit in my hands. However it also happens with the normal Movi setup sometimes.

See an example of my uneven footage at 1:21 and various other points on this video below. Please note that many shots only look fine because I used a ton of warp stabilizer, without warp they all look like the1:21 clip. Please note I wasn't walking in this clip so it's not that I'm not using heal-toe right. I had window pretty high, AND I was using the Movi without the ring, on the normal setup.

#1 Josh Hall, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Josh, if you'e having to hold on to the gimbal with your hand to demonstrate balance, something's off. Maybe on one of your other axes, like Roll and Pan? The plastic SDI cover is also loose and flopping around, which I know doesn't sound like much, but can affect balance a bit.

Your Ring is leaning back a bit on the feet you built, I assume, because otherwise it would fall over. I find this 'lean' is not a good way to balance, especially the Pan balance, because the axis is not straight up and down. It's best if you can dock the Movi\Ring so the ring is straight up and down to balance.

Usually, I have to balance all the axes, and then fine-balance them again because they certainly affect one another.

As for your Majestic Window and the bumpiness, you could try increasing Smoothing more, and it might help. It's still a handheld shot, and any 4th axis 'Spatial' movement (up, down, side to side created by your hands) is going to show up, especially on a static subject that's not moving. I find increasing Smoothing helps with this.

Are there any Movi operators in your area who you could meet up with? I'd be willing to video\Skype with you if you think it would help. I think building yourself a way to dock the Movi straight up and down would be helpful, too.

3. Noel Mathew

Noel Mathew Guest

Hi Josh, I have had that very setup (C100 and Sigma 18-35mm) on the Movi M10 and M15.
    You shouldn't have to remove the top bar to balance it. When I balanced it, I fit the C100+Sigma in the full cage and then made the top bar flush with the top, I then adjusted the entire cage using the latches in the middle of the cage.

And use the Movi Stand if you have it.

4. Josh Hall

Josh Hall New Member

Graham,
    Thanks for your help! I shouldn't had been lazy, but I was holding the gimbal roll axis because I was just trying to show the problem I was having with the tilt. I held it level just so I could show the tilt problem I was having. Even when the roll is perfect and can be held at any position, the tilt still has this same problem. I also have tried balancing the camera with the SDI flap closed, and on the original stand on a solid surface. I supposed I should had taken the system and put it back on the original stand. I have tried balancing it for over 5 hours on the original stand and I have the same exact problem with the tilt.

I will try increasing smoothing! I was already at 20 or so, but I'll see what happens if I get higher. It still seems that the camera moves within the tilt window when it isn't supposed to be moving at all, which seems to somehow be my problem.

I doubt there are any operators in little Lynchburg Virginia, haha. Thanks for your offer to help video/Skype! I may have to take you up on that.

5. Josh Hall

Josh Hall New Member

Noel,
    Thanks man! I do have the top bar and should have had it on there. I have the same problem when it is on though for whatever reason. I do normally balance it on the Movi stand, I'm not sure why I decided not to in this video.

Thanks!

6. Josh Hall

Josh Hall New Member

Here is the rebalance, on the stock setup, with the roll balance fixed, still having the tilt problem though.

7. Noel Mathew

Noel Mathew Guest

Hi Josh, now that I think about it I had the same issue with the same setup on the M10. But you said that you had some issues with the footage, which I didn't. Set up the C100 with the full cage and then auto-tune (you might have to change the parameters a bit after). It should help if not fix the issue with the footage.