/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic channel interference in a city.

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Simon Hawkins, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Simon Hawkins

Simon Hawkins New Member

We have been using our Movi M15 and Mimic combo successfully around suburbs and parks until the other day. In a built up part of the city the Mimic was getting interference on several channels we chose, this has never happened before.

Are there certain channels that work well in a city environment or is it a matter of trial and error..??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am not overly familiar with rc's and channels etc.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Simon: Good question. I did some informal experiments using a spectrum analyzer in various places in Portland, OR. I was just curious to see how "noisy" the electronic spectrum was in the 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz range.

The results were not pretty. The noise levels varied wildly from place to place. Some places (city parks) were pretty quiet. Others, like the downtown core, seemed to be the electronic equivalent of an excited crowd in a sporting stadium! It just roared with noise. WiFi is so prevalent now that in the downtown area it just sizzles with signals on the 2.4 and 5.8 Gig frequencies.

So, to answer your question -- it's a crapshoot. You just have to try different channels. It's like a radio frequency version of The Tragedy of the Commons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Simon Hawkins likes this.
  3. Simon Hawkins

Simon Hawkins New Member

Thanks for the info Andy. Now at least I know I've just got to cycle through the channels to find the clearest one for that space.

4. Paul Christopher Greene

Is release Mimic both 2.5 and 5.8Ghz? What frequencies was Mimic Beta? Has range been increased in release version?

Thank you...