/dist/images/branding/favicon

Need help!! List of issues including spinning handles

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Justin Daniels, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Justin Daniels

Justin Daniels New Member

So, I will start by saying my technical experience is low, and while I used the Movi M10 previously with a Canon 5D, I had a bit of assistance from the rental house in setting it up.

Fast forward to now, and I purchased a Movi M15, and am running a Canon C300 into it. I set everything up, and leveled it out so that it was pretty well balanced on the stand prior to turning it on. That's when the sh** hit the fan!

At first it started spinning in all directions. I was able to stop it, and realized that I had set the camera into the cage the opposite direction. Once I reset that, I rebalanced it then turned it back on. When on the stand, it spun (pan) 90 degrees, so I tried taking the handle off and resetting it to assume for the pan. Turned it back on, this time holding it (not on the stand), and it spun out of control, 360 left, then right, then left. Based on some things I read, it looked like it was trying to figure out where the front was. I even took the handles off and the pan motor spins and circles quickly.

To add to my issues, I haven't been able to figure out how to configure my M15, in part because my android app doesn't seem to recognize it, even though my bluetooth sees it there, and likewise with my MacBook Pro (though I don't know where to configure it, is there a site?).

I know I sound like an extreme idiot, and a complete rookie, but I really do want to get this to work to add to my C300 capabilities. I am set-up to have my first movi shoot in 5 days, and could really use some help!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Usually panning back and forth indicates a very low motor stiffness. You need to connect to the app and run an autotune, or manually raise your motor stiffness. The Movi will orient with the lens facing the latch on the toad in the hole on the M15.

You also need the legacy version of the app, not Movi Pro... so make sure you're on the correct firmware version and app version. I'm not sure if you have Akira (5.0.x) firmware or 4.x on the Movi, but that might determine which version of the Android app you need.

There are other things going on that we might be able to help with, but I think connecting via the app would be the priority.

3. Justin Daniels

Ok, so, making some progress here. Was able to finally connect the M15 to the app on my MacBook Pro laptop. I ran "autotune" and that seemed to help some of the spinning problem. Again, I am still learning on this, but my Pitch and Roll were looking good, about 0-1.5%. My Yaw on the other hand was a bit all over the place.

On a more practical level, I picked up the M15 off the stand, and was able to hold it without it freaking out. That said, the stiffness was low, and thus the reaction time way too slow. I went into the Pan Stiffness, and started increasing that as high as it could go, but around 150 (between 0-500) the motor started to vibrate. Even when I pushed it up anyway, the pan reaction still wasn't fast enough. I am reading through the manual to see if there is something I am missing, but again, any additional help is greatly appreciated!

4. Graham Futerfas

Excellent. Now go to your Majestic settings in the app, and put your Pan and Tilt Windows to between 4 and 8, and your Smoothing to around 10. The Window is how far you have to turn the handles before the Movi starts to follow, and the smoothing is how 'soft' it makes it. The lower the window, the more reactive the Movi will be.

5. Justin Daniels

I tried that, and it still seems awfully slow, almost non responsive.

Back on a previous question. I am not sure what firmware I have, and I am trying to figure out how to tell.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Justin welcome to the forums.

Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

For tuning you want to tune it (either auto or manual) like you are going to use it. If you are going to shoot with it one handed, tune it one handed, if you will shoot with both hands, tune with both hands. Tune it like you use it. That will get you the best settings and best stabalization.

7. Noel Mathew

Noel Mathew Guest

You have to go to the "About" tab while connected to your Movi.

Justin Daniels likes this.
  8. Justin Daniels

Ok, so, here's the update... and yeah, I still need help!

So, I got it to stop freaking out and spinning. I was able to set up the auto tune, and have even played around with adjusting the stiffness myself by increasing it until it vibrates than backing off a little. I am on 4.2 system, and I have changed my username on here as requested.

Here is the problem I am still having now. It's turned on, I have 3 solid green lights, it's level, it's tuned. There remains 2 major problems. One is that when I pick it up off the stand it still wobbles a bit (specifically tilt). It doesn't feel like the motor is even working. The second is that when I turn the handles as if to pan, the camera is turning way to slow and/or almost not at all.

So, basically, it feels like it is on and balanced but not working. I need to be up and running by noon tomorrow and am in real big need of help!!

#8 Justin Daniels, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Justin the tuning will be different (lower) on the stand than when you have it in your hands. Two handed will tune differently than holding single handed. Final tuning, if you aren't happy with the autotune, should be done in the shooting mode.

10. Graham Futerfas

In the app, what are your Majestic Settings for Pan and Tilt Window and Smoothness? With the M15 on Handles, I remember liking somewhere around 5 to 7 Windows and 8-10 Smoothness. You can set these to taste. Lower #'s means more responsive to your movements of the handles. If the Windows and Smoothness are high, you won't get as much response.

Regarding your Tilt not seeming to function -- if you push on it, does the motor push back, or is it dead? There's a solution for a dead tilt motor, but that may not be your problem. If it pushes back or brings the camera back to neutral, then it's working.