/dist/images/branding/favicon

New GoPro Hero 3

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Howard Dapp, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I swore up and down that mine was sick, as it would randomly stop recording and freeze up quite often. Eventually I realized that one of my two microSD cards (both identical and purchased together) was bad. I've replaced it, and the camera has been rock solid. Not saying that you didn't have a lemon (or two), but at the data rates the H3BE cranks out, the microSD card has got to be rock solid. One of mine wasn't.

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

That may be part of it. Tried to reinstall the firmware but my 64g card isn't registering on any computer anymore... Now with a separate card I'm getting similar unpredictable issues and the Mac Pro is locking up. Sweet. I think Ill quit before it corrupts another card.

Good news is my other Black is going strong

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

They are sensitive to cards. I had early issues by not using the suggested Sandisk 64gb card. That eliminated a number of problems with the first GP3 I had but it still had problems. Didn't spend that much time trouble shooting the second one. After getting it, finding it wasn't right, 2 hours on the phone to GP I threw in the towel. Sent the entire package back. Will revisit in a few months, watch their support page and some of the forum posts to see if there are improvements. Really want one that works.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Do you think the write speed of the card is important? Maybe the card you have is borderline on the requirements for the write speed?

5. Steve Maller

I'm using these cards. Like I said, one is great, the other went back and is being replaced.
    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-for-android/?capacity=32GB
    I just noticed that Sandisk have a new line of "Ultra Pro" cards.
    Maybe those would be even better?
    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/extremepro-uhs-i/?capacity=16GB

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave, the GoPro tech support guys are pretty insistent. They will tell you that they have only tested with 3 specific cards, the SanDisk, Kingston and one other one that I hadn't heard of. If you aren't using one of those their attitude seems to be you are on your own. I had a couple of other cards laying around. One was a class 6. Tons of problems. Bought a house brand class 10 card from MicroCenter. Tons of problems. Bought the SanDisk ultra, 50% of the problems went away. Here's a couple of key points:

The HERO3 camera is compatible with 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB
    capacity microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. While all speed class
    ratings are compatible, GoPro requires using an SD card with Speed Class Rating
    10 or higher speed when recording in Protune mode, or when using the 0.5 Time
    Lapse setting. GoPro recommends using brand name memory cards for maximum
    reliability in high-vibration activities.

The HERO3 cameras support MircoSDHC cards up to 32GB and MicroSDXC cards up to 64GB. We recommend name brand cards such as SanDisk or Kingston

• HERO3 White Edition requires cards with a class 10 rating or higher for 0.5 sec time-lapse. It requires class 4 cards for all other modes.
    • HERO3 Silver Edition requires cards with a class 10 rating or higher for 0.5 sec time-lapse, 10/1 burst, and Protune. It requires a class 4 rating for all other modes.
    • HERO3 Black Edition requires cards with a class 10 rating or higher for all modes.

The HD HERO2, HD HERO Original, and HD HERO 960 cameras support SDHC cards up to 32GB.
    We recommend name brand SDHC cards such as SanDisk or Kingston with a class 4 rating for the HD HERO Original, and a class 10 rating for the HD HERO2.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve I think faster is probably better for any video recording. The Ultra is a 30mb/s and the Ultra Pro says it is 90mb/s. But looks like the largest size at this time is only 16Gb.

8. Dave King

Yes that is correct
    http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/extremepro-uhs-i/?capacity=16GB

My question I have for you guys is that how much memory per minute will the GoPro's use at the highest settings?
    I have a HPX170 that can get 70 minutes of footage at 1080I-60P mode.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

10 days later and I still haven't heard anything from GoPro about my issues with the black edition. Ill give it 2 more days then ill try just returning and getting another.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad check out the reviews on Amazon. I sent mine back ( went through 2 of them). Think I will wait 6 months and see if things have gotten better. When it works it was great but to sporadic of me.

11. Dave King

What settings have you guys tested that produces the best picture so far? What mode works best? Has anyone tested the 4K or 2K yet?

12. Steve Maller

1080P 60fps ProTune. Convert to Prores 422LT. Then conform to 30P or 24P.