/dist/images/branding/favicon

107 operations/ Waver. II.

Discussion in 'Flight Regulations' started by Cody Hanthorn, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

While I think the website for FAA is not hard to follow the issue I will have or question I have is some of you that fly did you put 3nm circles out in the areas where you are going to be doing operations? Or did you just say a city. If you did put circles out I would be interested to see what you used to do this. Google maps I see does give the lat and long so you can put it in. However doing this you really do not have a sense of what area you have covered especially if you have a large city you are covering.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    -Cody

2. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I know this is a bit late answering. It depends on your ATC region's interpretation of the policy. Some will do blanket authorizations of the entire airspace with the exception of putting a boundary around the airfield as a "No Fly." Others will do 1 to 3 mile rings like you mentioned. Then there are some who will only approve an authorization on a very small specific operating area like 300 feet radius. Its very inconsistent and it is not standardized at all. There are reports that some people will get approved while others get denied for the same damn thing, creating chaos and a unequal playing field in the competitive market.

For this reason I mostly operate under the legacy 333 system in my local area, as I have a much more robust airspace permission under that provision.

3. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

333 system to my knowledge is all converting to 107. Even my 333 was cancelled/ vanished. Some of the commentary from others on this authorization is fairly frustrating.

-C

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Looks like you caught up in the later petitions where they decided to force you to the 107. I guess I got a little lucky that mine went though a year prior.

#4 Shaun Stanton, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017