/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal suspension too soft

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Marc BRACELET, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hello to all, well, to explain quickly the problem, we had lately in France a very warm temperatures and I have to say that the suspension of the gimbal became really too soft. I ask this question to know if you have already met this problem and if you possibly found a solution to stiffen the suspensions of your 3 Axis gimbal

Maybe by putting harder O'Ring ring or blocking a little the stroke of the shock absorber.

I think of not being the only one in that case and look for a good solution to have the fixation of my Gimbal less soft...:cool:

Thanks in advance for your answers...

Marc.

2. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Im having the same problem, im looking for harder O'rings...

let you know if can make it less soft....

good luck

E-One Productions likes this.
  3. Marc BRACELET

Hi Daniel,
    Do you have, please, some references or Website to obtain these harder O'Ring. it' s very difficult to find these parts on the net.:cool:

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys, I will work on making some firmer o-rings asap. We have not had this problem but then again it does not get that hot in Seattle.

I will post here when I have a timeline.

Best,

Tabb

5. Marc BRACELET

Thanks Tabb, i suppose we'll find them at QC.us shop...I'll order these firmer o-rings asap.:cool:

Best.
    Marc.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Salut Marc:

Out of curiosity what were the symptoms that you saw that led you to conclude that the O-rings were too soft? Did the gimbal start to vibrate or was it the fact that that frameset with booms and motors took off to an altitude of 50 cm, leaving the gimbal on the ground? ;)

Thanks
    Andy

7. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Guys!
    I was having an issue here in Phoenix with mine. Had really bad bounce/odd behavior. I ended up ordering a new set of O-Rings from QC and it is amazing the difference. Tabb also sent me a set of hard O-Rings to try which I will hopefully throw on there this week. Ill let you all know how it goes.

josh

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I happened to search for silicon o-rings using Google and found "Amazon Supply" -- sounds like a commercial branch of Amazon.com.
    Anyway, here's the result page for silicon o-rings:

http://www.amazonsupply.com/silicon...p/B003SLE5LS/ref=sr_1_1?sr=1-1&qid=1346125862

Prices are for multiple o-rings -- the ones I checked were for quantity 100. Of course, I have no idea whether the elasticity is what we need and the temperature coefficients, but I never realized that Amazon sold these kinds of products.
    Andy.

9. Marc BRACELET

Hi Andy,

No worries (Hahaha...;) ), the nacelle s is not stalled, but cons, I have now noticed that a screw of the frame touches now the pulley of the 3rd Axis, before I 'd 3mm empty.
    And finally we can see that the Gimbal moove in all directions and no longer sticks to the frame as before ... As i can clearly see on video, it moves a little more ... I have redone the test yesterday the outside temperature is lowered to 15 ° Celsius and it is much better, the problem is therefore heat. I think that with more rigid O'Ring the problem will be completely resolved...

10. Marc BRACELET

Waiting for your results Josh...:rolleyes:

11. Tucker Lamberton

Tucker Lamberton New Member

McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ sells a bunch of different silicone o-rings and all sorts of other hardware that is used on a cinestar, but why bother when you can call Karsten or Sarah @ http://www.quadrocopter.us/ and get the best service on earth, and the exact part you need, shipped like an hour later :)

Cheers, Tucker

12. Josh Lambeth

Just did some flying with the new original O-Rings and was able to fly with an 85mm on my 5DMKII and it looks amazing! Other than some quick forward flight it looks awesome and so smooth! I think it may be a little bumpy just because I didn't fully balance the gimbal when I put the 85 on. It was balanced for our 20mm.

Josh

13. Marc BRACELET

Thanks for your answers Guys...:cool:

14. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Had really bad bounce/odd behavior in mine, i found a cheap non sillicone o ring in a hardware store around my house, and i tryed them, looks good, no more bouncing in my camera mount.....

But i would like to try those new hard o rings from tabb...

15. Josh Lambeth

So we had our first hot day again the other day and the new O-Rings I purchased from QC... well my bounce is back... so I swapped out 4 of the stiffer rings from Tabb and it seemed to help a lot but I still have a bit of a bounce. Tabb and I are now working on figuring out what is going on...

Daniel, Do you have any pictures of what your using? Thanks!

Josh

16. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

WOW, I was in a job for the last week and had this softness problem also, luckily I found some rubber o-rings on a hardware store and changed them. The vibration has gone but as I didn't find any silicone o-ring I know that these rubbers won't last.
    The biggest indication of the softness of the o-rings was during a fast flight (forward or lateral). My theory is that, with a heavy camera (MKII in my case), when you tilt the CS to make it "run" the gimbal slides to the side and touches the frame and that's how the vibration passes to the camera.
    And also, in my case It didn't happened because of a hot day but because I normally fly in hot days and I think my o-rings got old. I compared them with a spare I have and they got softer.

17. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

when you tilt the CS to make it "run" the gimbal slides to the side and touches the frame and that's how the vibration passes to the camera.

this is so true Arthur, thats what is hapening to mine, with a 5D, and my AV200.
    But when i use a AV130 and a nex 5N, i dont see that bouncing, because of less weight and size...

i got a non sillicone o rings from HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS, but im sure they can break anytime....

18. Josh Lambeth

Is this the type of "Bounce" you guys are getting?

Josh

19. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Josh, I assume that you have your mount very well dialed in? One thing I notice in your video is the camera gimbal panning start/stop is not smooth and kind of abrupt. Can this be adjusted so that it is much smoother? On fullscale pro equipment it is called ramping. This is not something that can be fixed by dialing down the expo in your transmitter...it's a totally different thing. This will be a deal breaker for us if this cannot be adjusted via software. Not sure if you've tried the mk hack by Walter? There is control over tilt and pan start stop ramping. This feature is a necessity and should not be left up to the camera operator to be extra extra light on the controls when starting and stopping a pan movement,this is why fullscale pro equipment have the ability to adjust ramping. It just makes the shot all the more clean and fluid.

I'm sorry but this is a huge deal for us.

Tabb please calm my fears and tell me this controllability is possible or will be in the future? Are these units able to accept FW updates?

AirRaid likes this.
  20. Josh Lambeth

As of right now it is not able to be adjusted in the software. There is a pre-set amount already written in the hard code but depending on how you have your controller setup it's not very noticable. This flight was done without any downlink/liveview. We have expo all setup on our controller and if you make smaller/slower movements you can get a nice ramping in and out effect on the controls. Just takes some getting used to. I am also hoping the Tabb adds this feature in though. (I am running the Radian System and not the MK FC anymore).

Josh