/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting inside Helicopter - Solutions?

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Harry Mustermann, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Harry Mustermann

Harry Mustermann New Member

Dear Colleagues,

I intend to do a test flight with a Movi M15 with Controller and Sony A7s2 in the Movi carbon ring.

My idea is to attach some ropes inside the helicopter and connect it with the carbon ring (the freefly one) . I would take the door out of the Bell Jet Ranger and have no direct wind on the Movi which would hang on those ropes a bit inside helicopter in the rear section. I am looking for someone who has experience in this and can recommend:

- fixing / attaching / latching points in a Jet Ranger
    - help me to chose the right ropes (flexible or stiff)
    - recommend settings for the Movi (GPS/Heading/Airborne/etc.

anything that might help to shorten the quite expensive testing time in a helicopter to get good results.

Thanks a lot and looking forward for help. Will post pictures and experiences after I have tested it.

best

Harry

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Rather than ropes for safety probably less transmitted vibration with bungee cords.

Jason Herring likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Harry Mustermann

Hi Folks,

some feedback on the Copter issue. I flew today with mixed results. In a Jet Ranger I wasn´t able to find settings to significantly reduce the vibrations caused by the Helicopter. A more heavy constant issue is the roll drift and pan drift. You have to constantly adjust the roll as the Movi doesn´t seem to know where it is in the world. (or may be I just don´t figured out how to adress this). The best setting for me to avoid the pan drift was to chose "Fixed mount" setting. Nevertheless I haven´t generated a good result. Would be keen to hear some settings from others addressing vibrations, roll drift and pan drift. Thank you, Harry

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Harry: Please change your user name to Harry Flöter as Gary has asked.

Thanks!
    Andy

6. Endre Pletscher

Endre Pletscher New Member

Hi Harry,
    I think a tunable wire rope isolator could be a solution for you.
    Damperzen type b:
    P1180001.JPG

7. Harry Mustermann

Hi Endre,

thanks a lot. Do you have good experience with this one? Did you build it yourself? Any source where to get this one? Best, Harry

8. Endre Pletscher

Endre Pletscher New Member

damperzen.com I send you a pm. /later on/.

9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Harry,

Our solution for helicopter work with the MoVi, is to mount it inverted on a steadicam arm. This gives us super smooth footage. Here is a shot of our setup

We then have a camera op sitting in the front seat to control tilt and pan remotely, while I hold the MoVI as close to the door opening as possible to get the best viewing angle without the wind buffet.

Aggressive turns in the helicopter will effect the roll performance of the MoVI, but it normally straightens itself again after a moment.

10. Ari Golan

Ari Golan New Member

Hi Chris, What parts/components did you use to mount the MoVI to the steadicam arm?

11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Ari,

I made small bushing that slides over the pin in the end of the arm. Then the toad bolts onto the bush. If that a solution you like I can make up another and send it out.

The movi is used in dual operator mode 99% of the time.

Cheers

12. Ari Golan

Ari Golan New Member

Thanks for the quick response. What do you think the cost and turnaround time would be?
    Also, did you mention that it's in dual operator mode 99% of the time because you don't use a handle bar rig?

13. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Ari,

Thats right, we use dual operator the most. In the helicopter I were the steady cam and Movi, doing it this way give me the most control on keeping the lens in just the right spot out of the wind buffet, and Tom then frames all the shots remotely from the front seat of the helicopter, and works with the pilot for positioning the helicopter.

This is also how we operate on ground as well.
    Steadicam Small.jpg

I can make you one of the brackets, it will be $70 + shipping, I can get it hard anodised black for you, if you would like.