/dist/images/branding/favicon

Harmonic Vibrations

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by David Beard, Jan 17, 2017.

1. David Beard

David Beard Member

Does anyone have experience with harmonic vibrations as soon as the ring is set down on a surface? As soon as I put my hands back on the ring, the loud vibrations go away. The based on the display, the pan motor is the one causing the vibrations.

2. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

I felt the same thing. I turned my autotube down to 50% and fixed the problem for me.

3. David Beard

David Beard Member

Is a 50% autotune acceptable for handheld use? Do you see any side effects of this lower threshold tune in your footage?

4. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

My movi just showed up last Friday and haven't had an opportunity to do any serious shooting just camera builds.Ill report back when I have something real to shoot! I have a commercial setup next week.

5. David Beard

David Beard Member

Even lowering my autotune to 50% didn't fix it for me. It stops as soon as I put my hands on the ring, but when I'm not holding it, it's just sitting there buzzing like crazy, and the pan motor balance display is all over the place.

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Does it go away if you put it on carpet? Movi Pro feet slide around too much on wood floors or tile. You could also figure out some non-skid pads for the feet.

I autotune at 50%, usually keeping a hand on the rig while it tunes. Often I find I need to manually turn down one of the motors after Auto-tuning, even at 50%, but I still get great results.

7. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

If the MoVI is vibrating or humming when you set it down, it isn't something to worry about. If it is annoying you, then just "pause" the motors. According to the manual, you should set auto-tune to 70% if you have the top crossbar of the MoVI attached (this will come attached when you receive your MoVI Pro. The only time you would remove it is for a bigger camera or unique build.)

If you still feel the need to get rid of it, you can go to the individual motor stiffness settings in the app and dial them down. Don't dial them down too much though, otherwise the MoVI may not perform optimally.

8. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Here's a video of Tabb manually tuning an M10. It's obviously a few years old and out of date, but I think it has some good points about adjusting the stiffness:

9. David Beard

David Beard Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're talking about with removing the crossbar.

Also, if I don't have my hands on the side tubes of the ring, and on the top handle for example, the pan axis movement if affected by the vibration, and does not allow for smooth movement while in dual operator mode.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you tune while holding and then set it down in the stand it will vibrate. If you tune it in the stand and then switch to hand held or another mount you won't get the full values of having higher settings.

Bottom line tune it like you are going to use it.

Graham Futerfas likes this.