/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro Pan Balance

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by David Beard, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Just got my Movi pro and seeing the same issue. That axis of balance is pretty important in aerial mode, which is what we primarily do. On my m15 with it balanced perfectly I could get pan gain settings of 270. Today on an auto tune at 80% it was at about 140. So it's definitely having an affect. Is it actually the case that as standard it is off balance then on that axis then? If that is the case I'll probably try and counter balance it by putting accesories on the other side of the gimbal until it is properly balanced.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's an excellent point about the angle of the Toad when it's in the Ring. For the first few weeks, I had the feet on the Ring upside down\backwards, and the Ring stood more upright. It's supposed to lean forward a bit to prevent the whole thing from toppling over, but obviously not so great for balance.

You might try balancing in a dock. Either the Movi dock, or you can make one with garage hooks. That would allow the weight to hang straight down.

3. Ryan Holdridge

Thanks for the follow up and clarification. I have nearly the same setup for my Epic and I have not had any of the issues you are having.

Have you tried tightening everything and lacking sure the Toad in the Hole doesn't have some defect?

Otherwise, I think it might be an issue you want to circle back around with Freefly about. Do you have access to another Movi Pro to test your exact camera setup to see if you have better results?

4. David Beard

David Beard Member

Graham, can you advise on how you determined the feet were on wrong? I want to rule that out on my setup.

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

6. David Beard

David Beard Member

Maybe I'm not understanding the proper way to balance the pan axis on the ring. It's a no brainer when using a handle setup. Just line the pan tube up with the handle bar, and rotate the handlebar and see if it holds position, but it's not nearly as straightforward on the ring. I can't line the pan tube up with the crossbar, because the GCU hits the ring, and the position in which the ring sits at rest seems counter-intuitive to balancing a gimbal. I'm wondering if the Movi dock would hold the ring? That still doesn't allow for the pan tube to line up with the crossbar.

Can someone from Freefly give us a detailed explanation on balancing the pan axis while on the ring?

7. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Hey Dave,
    If the ring go forward on the feet, you're good. If the feet are on the opposite (backward for the good setup) the ring will be more straight. I did the error and Tabb suggest me to looking on that after a instagram post.
    Take a look with the feet backwards.

Attached Files:

8. David Beard

David Beard Member

Is this an image of the unit with the feet on backwards?

9. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Yes Dave ! When you unscrew the feet to srew them on the left side of this image, the ring will go forward with 4 degres.

I don't did anothers pics when I reverse the foot on right side but if you look the movi pro pictures, it goes with this 4 degres.

10. David Beard

David Beard Member

This is a photo from FreeFly, with the feet facing forward, with a pretty decent lean. Note the handle and monitor mount orientation. This appears to be the same setup as the images you provided above. I'm confused.

11. David Beard

David Beard Member

I can't remember, does the top handle come pre-assembled, or did we have to put that together. I'm using the top handle as my frame of reference when talking about facing forward.

12. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

When I recieved the massive case, the top handle and feet weren't mounted, so I mounted the top handle and thinking doesn't matter with side I will screw it, so I screw the feets on the same way.

And Tabb let me know on my Insta pics, that the feet need to be on the other side (so top handle too), I reverse everything and now I have the same degres that the original picture of movi pro.

Attached Files:

13. David Beard

David Beard Member

Hmmm, now you have me wondering if I don't have things backwards.

14. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Let us know ! :)

15. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Well... same issue here. 1st time i setup the MoviPro with the feet in the good position (with 4° angle) and i have the same problem as Dave. If I straight the ring, everything is fine, pan stay in position, thats why my others setup was ok because with the feet backward everything for the pan is good because the ring didnt have the 4° angle.

Dave you solved your issue ?

16. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I managed to get the pan perfectly balanced but I had to mount my paralinx Tomahawk TX on the right hand down tube to counterbalance the gimbal. The gimbal is definitely naturally unbalanced on that axis

17. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

@Ben Platts when you say right side is that looking at the movi as if you were filming with it? I had to either add weight to my left side downtube, or remove my right side battery for perfect pan balance.

18. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Good point Ben, i will looking to move my teradek on the other side, first time i setup with FF + teradek + all cable on the movipro, thats why maybe i have this issue that i didnt have before and for this new setup i use the Dtap for powering the Epic, last time was with vlock on the right side. But when i put the ring straight no pb at all. So i will put the accessories on the left.
    Will see this afternoon.

19. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah the right hand side if your looking from the front

20. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

So i move the ff + teradek to the right side of the cage (i am in front). Same issue. With the 4°angle ring, the pan push the back to the left( i am in front of the movi) when i restart to push the ring little bit straight, the problem disapear.

So I reverse the feet and the handle to have the ring more straight and... tada ! Works like a charm and super easy to balance. Pan stay straight.
    Config is Epic Dragon, Bolt 300, Xeen 24mm, dji ff. Cable for Power the Epic, Control the epic, Dtap for bolt + FF and cable for the red 7 touch.

Maybe i have more than 4 degres and thats why i have the pan problem, will see with the support right now.