/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best HD Video Link

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andreas Riem, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Guys, whats the best hd video link in your eyes? I'm using the Connex system - but I'm not satisfied with. Impossible to reach the announced 1,000m with the EU version (Stability Boost/Indoor Mode/Reboot after starting the fpv-system). Last job we had bad drop outs upon 100m height and app. 150m distance...

So are there other product options or tuning options?

2. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

i found the connex is one of the best systems out there.
    for me the best way is to use 5,8GHZ SD with 800mW and more to get really high distances.
    i only use connex when i really need HD (remote focus, etc).

Dimitar Krustev likes this.
  3. Michael Elsegood

I own Paralinx Tomahawk's and Connex.

Similar results from both, the Paralinx just feels like a much more professional product. But range is very similar.

I use the Paralinx Array for anything over 100m. Have never had any luck with any HD link on stock antennas beyond 150m

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I use the Tomahawk too. Great range if your using the panel array and clover leaf antennas. Not so good without. Been using it for about two years now in all conditions without any issues.

5. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Do you use the tomahawk as stand alone or in combination with a fpv-system?

6. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Just as a standalone link from the main camera

7. Humberto Barchini

Using connex... max distance that i have fly was 500 meters... no delays no signal lost... but I´m not in europe... so full power...

I think connex and paralinx are much the same... one of the owners o paralinx is the founder of connex... ;)

8. Benjamin Kenobi

Benjamin Kenobi New Member

Hey mate,

I tried the same settings as you and also got terrible range.

I now get over 750m using: air to ground, high quality, and the important bit - locking off the frequency to one specific channel. I picked one that is at the opposite end of the scale to my FPV cam, i.e Connex at 5.75GHZ and FPV cam at 5.85GHz. PS - Use the latest firmware.

Absolutely solid link all the time now. Thanks to Jack @HorizonAP.

Kurt Naeslund likes this.
  9. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Sounds like a plan Benjamin! And you are using the EU-version with 25mW as well? What kind of fpv transmitter you are using 25mW or the usual 250 - 600mW?

10. Benjamin Kenobi

Benjamin Kenobi New Member

Yep, EU. And FPV cam is at the higher end :)

It was so counter-intuitive lowering the mW but getting better range!

11. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Sounds strange - but I'll definitely give it a trail! Just have to wait till my connex is back from service.

12. Simon Sjoren

Simon Sjoren New Member

Hi Ben,
    Curious in ways to optimize the Connex-system. Did I understand you right that you're using cloverleaf antennas on the Tx side and panel array on the Rx? Did this in your opinion enhance the range?

Regards, Simon

13. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hi Simon. It made a massive difference. With the standard Antennas we could never get more than about 150m line of sight. Sometimes it was as low as 50m. We added the cloverleafs on the TX and it was pretty good up to around 300-400m but since we got the pannel antenna we've pushed it to 1000m and it's still been solid. So a massive improvement!

14. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Ben, do you have photos of your setup? So you mod both side rx tx of the connex?

15. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I use the Paralinx Tomahawk system. They sell the cloverleafs and panel themselves. I'm not sure what the connex equivalent would be. I can post some pictures shortly though

16. Stefan Helborg

Using connex... max distance that i have fly was 700 meters... only then the picture began pixelatin. 700m more than enogh for me, due to the regulative of always being able to see the copter with my eyes. I´m in europe...

17. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

Hi Ben, would you mind telling me what antenna you are using on the Rx & Tx side? My Connex system is terrible beyond about 200 meters and I'd love to get more range. I've locked off the frequency of both the Connex and the FPV on frequencies that are as far apart from each other as possible. I've also lowered the Tx power of the FPV to 50mW and it's very stable. I thought bashing out 600mW of FPV was overkill and perhaps interfering with the Connex. Also I have put the Connex on stability boost or whatever its called as I did not need high quality downlink, I only need to see what I'm framing up in my shots.

18. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hi Andy. I use the Paralinx Tomahawk system with the cloverleaf antennas on the TX and the panel array antenna on the RX. We've had it good to 1km with LOS along with a 600mw tx for the FPV

19. Stefan Helborg

Andy remember to set the Connex air unit to "indoor mode" and NOT airborne... Don't ask, but indoor is much more powerfull. I had the same issue, and I called Amimon about it.

20. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

That's extremely interesting! Thank you very much chaps I shall implement these changes. In other news, I'm just about to fly the Canon 5DMk4 for the first time this weekend, should be fun!