/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 Battery Not Charging

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Drew Murphy, May 18, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Noel:
    Yeah, that's my understand of what those ports are for.

LiPo Tester:
    Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Bat...F8&qid=1483401598&sr=8-2&keywords=lipo+tester

Downside is that if you hit the alarm voltage the buzzers are so loud that everyone within a one mile radius knows it too. I keep reminding myself to put some silicon sealant into the buzzer ports to hush them up a bit.

Buying el cheapo Lipo's is a false economy -- you'll end up buying more of them and the savings will be lost. I've always stuck with the FF lipos for the MoVI as the other issue is getting the same form factor. But, to answer your question: your nearest hobby store problem carries some -- take the dead one in so they can match the size and parameters. Otherwise places like HobbyKing.com on-line.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

2. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks Andy, we will def buy some more FF LiPos, but I am understandably upset that this one WHICH WE JUST BOUGHT, is already unusable through normal use for the incredibly brief time we've had the Movi.

If it's so incredibly easy to fry these things, why hasn't Freefly ALREADY acted to prevent the problem with an auto-shutoff function for the unit? Users shouldn't have to replace LiPo packs every time they leave the Movi running for too long.

Pretty much every electronic device I can think of has similar inactivity/safety protocols in place.

With such a volatile and easily destroyed battery pack being sold with the system, I think a bit more attention should be paid to safeguarding it.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Noel:
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. Part of the problem with the high energy density of LiPo's is that they're very tricky to manage. Anything "bad" you do can possibly do to them ends in phrases like "...and then you kill the battery" or "...and then the battery might catch fire."

I really can't speak to the issue of why FF electronics do what they do -- I'm only a volunteer, not an FF employee. But I do know that FF staff do monitor the forum postings so your message will at least not go unheard.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Since a tiny warning device can be purchased for a measly 2 bucks and it could easily be built into the Movi system and programmed to auto-kill the circuit, thus saving the battery... I'm pretty sure we KNOW why Freefly hasn't implemented such a ridiculously simple upgrade and instead keeps selling Freefly branded LiPos for $75 a pair...

:(

It's seriously eroded my previously high opinion of this gear.

5. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I plugged in the T-Connector and the Balance Connector to the LiPo Charger and now the Charge Status light and the 1S light are alternately blinking. Is this brand new battery pack really toast already???

:(

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That seems highly unlikely.

Can you take (and post) an image of how things are connected and how the switches are set on the charger please? Hard to guess what the problem might be without seeing it....

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks Andy! I checked the gear back in at the station today so I no longer have it in my possession. It's a standard Freefly charger and battery for the M5 unit.

After testing out the Movi and working out the procedure required to load the JVC 4K onboard, and especially after learning the hard way how easily the LiPos can brick due to normal use, I made the following recommendations to the Station Manager in my report:

• Purchase a couple of affordable voltage alarms and implement protocol that requires one always remain installed on the battery currently in use on the unit.

• Purchase 4 more LiPo batteries, and store them in the fireproof box.

• Purchase the Tenergy Combo: TB6B Multifunctional Balance Charger for NiMH/NiCD/Li-PO/Li-Fe Battery Packs + Power Supply.

By the end of my work day, all these items had been ordered. We will probably have to chalk up the loss of this battery pack as an expensive bend in the learning curve.

I guess my confusion can be easily cleared up if you can answer a simple question: Should both the T-Connector and the Balance Connector always be connected to the LiPo Charger when recharging the packs?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Noel:
    Yes, the larger red/black connectors (which I think you call the T-Connector) should be connected as well as the smaller balance connector. The main charging occurs via the red/black connector/T-connector. The balance connector is used to monitor the individual LiPo cells, and lower charging currents to bring them all to within about 0.1 volt of each other.

Your recommendations are all sound. Make sure there is a pressure relief mechanism on the fireproof box -- if a Lipo ignites it outgasses like crazy and you don't want to have a bomb on your hands. What I do is use an army-style "ammo case" metal box, drill a 3/8" hole in the lid and then put a patch of electrician's tape on the inside and the outside. This keeps moisture and crud out, but will blow out quickly if a Lipo ignites.

The official advice is that you should not leave the room while you're charging them. I occasionally do leave the room, but have LiPos in a "charging bag." It's worth adding one or two of those to your list: e.g search on amazon.com for: lipo charging bag.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Great advice, many thanks Andy.

10. Sudhava Ramesh

Sudhava Ramesh New Member

I don't know if this helps at all but i intend to do this to one of the batteries of mine that is partly dead.

11. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks Sudhava, I may try this. I need to find a lipo-safe bag.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Noël: If you don't have a Lipo-safe bag, just work outside on some concrete some distance away from anything you don't want to burn down. You'll know within a few minutes whether or not the LiPo is coming up to 3.0 volts/cell or greater.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

13. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks Andy! I'll let you know how it goes.