/dist/images/branding/favicon

Case for Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

Holidays have gotten to me and I'm posting my new case for Movi Pro.

It fits -
    Movi Pro Handheld System with Ring
    Charger case with 4 chargers + 4 batteries, 2 additional batteries
    Mimic system
    2 x AKS compartment cases
    and a whole lot more if I choose to add more.

IMG_2159.JPG
    This is SKB 3I-2222-12BE case. It has 22 x 22 x 12 of dimension. Out of 12 of depth, 2 inch is on the lid.

IMG_2160.JPG
    Opening the lid, first it's the Movi Pro Handheld original packing foam, Pelican 1400 which contains 4 chargers, Movi Pro handle in a red bag, some velcro strip, and a whole lot of things hidden in the case. Unfortunately with my Pelican 1400 inserted, I could not fit a full top lid foam on the SKB case, so I decided to leave some room in the middle for my 1400 case to fit (and once the lid is closed, the case doesn't move around much.)

IMG_2161.JPG
    Removing some stuff, I'm using the bottom 2 holes on the original shipping case to insert the Mimic + charge cable on the right side, and a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone with charger on the left. Bottom portion of it is protected with some Trekpak, Full length divider for Pelican 1650 which is 7.5 inch tall and 23 inches wide, which I probably used about 2-3 of them to make that happen. I ordered them from Trekpak for about $16/piece and I used about 2 of 10 pc fork pack, which was about $10/piece.

IMG_2162.JPG
    Removing the ring, You can see the Mimic handle, Hand grip tape on the right, two AKS cases for small parts, and a bag containing Alexa Mini and RED Epic power cables. I've custom inserted a few more Trekpak inserts to make the divider more sturdy and fixed so if I were to rent it out, whoever opens it knows exactly where things are supposed to land.

IMG_2163.JPG
    Just a photo of the items taken out. Those two plastic cases are purchased from Daiso for $1.50 each. They fit the rods, screws, counter weights and etc.

I bought a collapsible 9 inch x 7 inch x 6 inch clothe based case from Container Store, which I bring with me to insert all the items in and leave my SKB case either back at the basecamp or in my car.

IMG_2166.JPG
    This Pelican 1400 fits my 4 x Movi Pro battery chargers.

IMG_2165.JPG
    I have the Trekpak inserts all set to organize the chargers. The Batteries just drop and lock into its place easily and you can just plug in the ford to a circuit or hand it off to an AC to plug all at once.

Total Cost :

SKB 3I-2222-12BE Case = $219.99
    Trekpak Inserts + Pins = $100
    Daiso Organizer = $3
    Pelican 1400 Case = $49.99
    Trekpak Insert for 1400 = $40
    Bag for Movi handle = $1.50
    Bag for Cables = $1.50

Total : $415.98

So far I have not flown with this case yet, so I'm not sure if this can withstand the heavy beating from the airliners, but as long as I keep all the TSA locks on it and tape the latches, I'm sure this would be just fine. There is enough padding for interior items and all the fragile items are inserted with decent protection so I'm not too concerned.

The total weight of this case + all the items are exactly at 49.6 LBS, so it definitely fits the standard of a regular luggage. If I remove the 6x batteries and insert them elsewhere, I'm sure I can fit a few more items in the case and not exceed 50LBS of airline regulation limit before being charged for overweight luggage fee.

The case is somewhat big, but it's small enough for me to fit in the back trunk of most sedans. With this, plus my Pelican 1510 with monitors, accessories, and wireless items, I'm confident I can fit all the items in the back trunk of sedan and still have some space left to fit a small hand truck or something.

Overall, I'm glad this case worked out. The only hassle is tearing down the Movi Ring top handle, but it's super easy to do. I just gotta be careful not to lose the screws.

I've done multiple jobs with Movi Pro this year and cannot be more happier. I think my next purchase is going to be a Ready Rig, but so far the weight of the rig has been kept under 20LBS most of the cases and I was able to make it work since no takes are longer than 3 minutes or so.

If you need help with building the same design as I have or have questions, shoot me a PM and I can tell you more details.

Happy holidays and happy new year!

2. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

Dare I say we have a winner?

3. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

What a nice case !Thanks for sharing !!

4. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Great job! For normal cars/flight, this looks like a clear choice. If I didn't have the extra stuff, (landing gear, sticks for drone gimbal controls, extra batts, few more things depending on job) or a work van, I would not hesitate to copy that exact setup.

It should stand up great to the long distance case-throwers at tsa. Seems like u got it nice and snug.

5. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Brandon Obey likes this.
  6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

7. Jason Comparetto

In the regular size case, there is a dedicated compartment for the Mimic in the lower section of the case. In the compact case version, the Mimic fits in the upper two slots. So either way, you're covered for storing the Mimic. Thanks for asking.

8. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

My pelican 1650 comes in today and will post how I end up making that work. (Amazon had it for $150 with foam)

Still not sure about the ring but when flying I may just take off the top handle and feet and wrap it in clothes towels in my suitcase. For driving to location I can easily find a safe spot for it.

And when onset I think I'll just add a hook to the jr cart and add the ninja star and toad on a plate on the cart

9. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

Have you notice any movement of the gimbal when inside the case? How snug does the foam fit in the SKB case?

10. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Just ordered (again :eek:) the Jason normal case, finally it's a good solution to keep the movi with ring in safety way. I already have the Freefly case, will sold it.

11. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

So here's my take on it. Will get a few better pictures tomorrow. But the foam the movi shipped in fits perfectly with the 1650 and I cut the foam that came with the 1650 to even it out. With the extra space I am able to fit everything but the ring. 6 batteries, 3 chargers, toad on a stick, ninja star with toad, cables, mimic, mimic handles, rods, mounting plates, tools... Could add a few things if needed

Here's a quick video I did on Instagram (video is the completed case)

case 1.jpg case 2.jpg

12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

The winner in my book! I would definitely get a 1650 for my gimbal if not for extra stuff. Great job rob

Rob Ruscher likes this.
  13. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Here's the final (for now)

Attached Files:

Justin Scott Brown likes this.
  14. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

Gimbal never moves. Once placed with the 1400 pelican case, the case itself acts as a blocker so it stays contained pretty well. The foam fits pretty well, although the dimension of the foam must be about 21.5 inches because there is about .5 inch of gap left by the wheels. I just filled it in with some other stuff.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  15. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Thanks! I'm really happy with it. Was surprised of how well everything fit into place.

16. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Good job fitting the ring in there for such a good price Josh. That really great.
    Foam Looks great Jason! Thanks

17. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

This is my factory foam re-cut.

Pelican Storm IM2720.

Compact but gimbal only really.

Only had to cut 2cm of foam from the front edge to have it fit and cut the bottom for the wheels.

Works for me for now.

Attached Files:

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  18. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

looks like the smallest case you could safely use. . . . good job!

19. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

I bought the freefly case and like it. Its a monster by any measure. However, it does hold
    Movi Pro built with ring & top handle & camera all assembled.
    12+ batteries
    4 chargers
    Tablet
    Traditional M15 cross bar handle
    Mimic Pro & handle
    And space for other small back up stuff

I weighed it with all this stuff and it comes in about 70 lbs. not including camera. For flying it just meets the 70lb limit and for car/ truck use I really like that its all in one case. I will agree that the rolling handle is not too comfortable and it is not easy to pick up alone. However it does roll fine and tilting it back and putting the weight on my knees, grabbing with two handles, its easy to lift up to 24" height to load into a car. I would like to have a smaller case but I like it all in one place and have everything pre-assembled. I have a Jason Case for my M10 which I love for that reason. I use a make shift Pelican case 1620 for my M15 which I don't like because I have to break the Movi down each time I pack it and its not really PA/ Flight safe. I would go with 2 cases for the Pro but that would mean a big flat custom case for the ring (top handle attached) and batteries set up in the middle, and a pretty big flat case for the Gimbal. Not bad plan but nothing exists for the ring (ID 27" x 24" x 10") and the cases for the gimbal are really too deep would still require a custom tray system. I really do like the fully built with camera for a open case, slap on a lens, two batteries, and go. This simplicity was the intention of the Pro and the case works the same way.

20. Jason Comparetto