/dist/images/branding/favicon

Getting my Graupner mx 20 to give me voice warnings and status

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by David N Atkisson, Dec 28, 2012.

1. David N Atkisson

Hi Folks,

I am currently trying to get my Graupner mx20 to give me audio cues as to the state of my battery and height etc. I have used the headphone jack and have gotten it to talk to me but can't get it configured to give me what I want to hear. Also is there a way to have it give me an update without me having to pull a switch on my receiver? I have been looking through the manual about this but it's a little confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I almost had a major crash. I was up around 75meter shooting and forgot to look down at the telemetry and all of a suddenly I did and my voltage was way to low. I'm not usually a praying sort of guy but I prayed it all down to the ground quickly and decided I had to get the voice warning system going so a similar incident wouldn't happen again.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David:
    How far have you got? Do you have a switch set up to trigger voice response? If so, what data is she speaking at you?

Andy.

3. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello David,

What is the flight control system you are using for your kopter? As far as I know the MX20 telemetry only integrates with Mikrokopter.

Greetings,
    Adam

4. David N Atkisson

I am flying cinestar 8. I did get the voice to give me a voltage warning. I have the switch set up and when I depress it it gives me altitude sometimes and othertimes nothing at all. Kind of sporadic. I did read through the manual and clicked on a few items of data I wanted t get if I clicked on the switch but it's kind of sporadic in giving me information.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's very odd, David. On my MX-20, when I operate the Voice Trigger switch the voice works through each of the available values in turn. (As an aside, when I turn on the switch assigned to the repeat function, the voice repeats the last item every N seconds -- I have it set to 15).

What I don't understand is why the MX-20 doesn't work it's way through the separate values each time you operate the trigger -- it's the "sometimes nothing at all" that's the more worrisome.

Which items of data did you select on the MX-20? With the MK boards, you don't normally install the additional MK sensors -- so I think you can only select the Receiver or the General (sorry, I don't remember how I've got mine set up).

I suspect the "nothing at all" may be when you're asking it to speak a value for a sensor that you have selected but is not installed.
    Try simplifying it back to having only the General module selected. (See page 220 of the manual).

Thanks
    Andy

6. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Hi....I am new to the forum so I hope this is proper protocol..... I am also working with the mx20 trying to get the voice triggers set up. I am flying a Cinestar 6.
    I found how to turn various items on and off...and am using sw 1 as the trigger for the voice. This is a temporary switch so I need to activate it each time I want to advance through the items....and each time i want a voice report. I also see the area that allows the selection of time in between But.......set up the way I have it....it won't repeat. Do I need to move the voice activation to a solid on/off switch...like sw3? Also...where is the option to turn on the.."repeat" function.

I am working through the MK manual but it is not real newbie friendly!!

Thanks for the help.

Andy Anderson

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Andy (great choice of first name, btw).
    Welcome. Relax -- you're well within what protocol we have. I have the voice repeat set up on a separate switch so that the sequence I have is:
    1. Activate the voice trigger switch (is an momentary contact switch).
    2. Do it again until I get her to speak the voltage.
    3. Once she's spoken the voltage, flip the second switch (which is NOT momentary contact) to enable repeating. That switch then keeps her repeating the voltage every 15 seconds. She even says, "Minimum input voltage" when the flight battery gets to 14.4v.

Andy.

Andy Anderson likes this.
  8. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Thanks Andy!
    I really appreciate the feedback and sharing the set up..great way to do it as each flight may have greater importance on certain data!....that covers a large portion of my lack of understanding in getting this set up. My last question is that I cannot seem to find the way to set up the second switch you reference in #3 of your response. When I get to the trigger option in the voice trigger menu... "Trig" allows you to select a switch....which I have as the momentary sw1. But I do not see how to get the second switch set up? Please help, and thanks again.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Andy:
    I just followed the steps on page 222 of the MX-20 manual, I'm afraid. Under the heading of "Repeat."
    The set up I have, albeit with different switches is what you see in the second image in the middle column (under the heading "Trig.")

Hope that helps?
    Andy.

10. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Got it...thanks. Pg 222 references pg 52 where I actually found out the way to clear the switch assignment. That allowed me to set the repeat function to a switch. Thanks Much.

11. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Please forgive the newbee question, can you get the voice to work without headphones? Does the MX20 have a speaker itself that can output voices?

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Nope, headphone jack only. You can get a cheapie little iPod speaker, though, and that works fine.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dave:
    A couple of possibilities:
    Put this speaker on the ground, or on whatever you're holding your FPV system up with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080IUON2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Or use Velcro to attach this to the edge of the transmitter that faces away from you:
    http://www.adorama.com/MACTURBOTUNE.html

External speakers have the advantage that you're not isolated from the world around you (and can hear the noises the copter makes), plus if the camera operator can also hear the voltage diminishing and the Minimum Input Voltage, there's no argument about bringing the bird home NOW....no "just one more shot" discussion.

Andy.

14. Dave King

Andy I set up switch one on the MX20 to trigger the voice but it won't cycle through the voices I turned on as I have to hit the switch to cycle through them. Am I overlooking something? I have switch 8 for repeating voices over n seconds and it works. I just can't get it to cycle through the selected voices I have automatically without continuing to hit the switch.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dave:
    What voice announcement do you get?

Also, in the Telemetry, have you selected just the Receiver module?

Thanks
    Andy

16. Dave King

I get all the voice announcements I selected such as input voltage, altitude, current, sensor 2 temperature, distance from home, transmitter battery voltage etc. I have nothing selected in trasmitter except voltage, in receiver module I have signal strength selected, in general I have sensor 2 temp, current, and voltage selected, in vario I have nothing selected, and in GPS I have altitude, and distance selected. I followed the directions in the quadrocopter mx setup and 88m update video.

I have it setup where I hit sw1 for it to start the announcements. But it will only announce one (where ever it is in the cue) unless I hit switch 1 again. Now if I toggle through the announcements using sw1 for a specific annuncement (input voltage for example) if I flip on the repeat switch (SW8) it will announce that setting automatically every n second to whatever I set the time to. But I was hoping that I could get it to announce all the settings I have selected at least once automatically. In otherwords go through the entire cue of announcements with one engagement of SW1. Right now I have to hit SW1 8 times to go speak all 8 announcements.

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I agree!

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave it's been awhile since I used the voice other than low voltage and flight time but when you hit the momentary switch it should cycle through everything you have check off.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that." (Apologies, Dave -- I'm sure you get that a lot.)

But the truth is you're getting the intended response. Operate switch 1 to get the next announcement in the queue and then operate switch 8 to repeat that one.

What was the trick to getting it to work right? Had you selected more Telemetry modules than you had installed so it was announcing "silence?"

Andy.

20. David N Atkisson

Yes I do believe that is what I had done. However today while flying I had a strange thing going on. I had it repeating altitude every 5 seconds for me and then I went into GPS position hold and then out again and the voice quite giving me my altitude and when I tried to get it start up again, nothing happened. The silence thing again. The only way I could get my voice back was to bring the CS8 back down. Shut down the receiver and start up again. Not sure what that's about.