/dist/images/branding/favicon

A8 and Movi Pro

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Dec 4, 2016.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

I am psyched to get this combo in the air. I hope our pro comes tomorrow, and after a couple day wait for our pelican once we figure out what we need, its headed to the local soccer complex for some test runs.

If anyone has pics/videos, lets see em. Ill get mine up asap

Ben Platts likes this.
  2. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

The Alta 8 and Movi Pro is gonna be a pretty unstoppable combo. Can't wait to get ours! Just need Arri to allow all the integration of the Red with the Alexa mini on the Movi Pro.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yea you dragon should be awesome no? so I got shipping confirmation. . .time to fly

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Nice! When did you order? Thinking about ordering one soon but wondering what the delay is going to be like. Also if the pro will have Arri control soon like with the Red. We have the alexa mini and would love to have full camera control. Or maybe we'll go back to Red! Arri needs to get there act together!

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yea camera market is ripe for picking it seems. . .
    Get my pro this Friday I think, so frigin excited to see if I can crush some tracking shots at high speed. Especially if freefly releases that mimic FIZ handset anytime soon, it's all over.i will only be shoot chase scenes.

And order! Well, wait till I post pics and videos that make u rush out to order, but the wait time is gonna just get longer.

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Please post a vid when you can :)

- Side profile/ tracking
    - 12-13lbs camera package
    - max speed 18m/sec
    - 100m

Hope it holds!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason:
    Did you mean:

PlEaSe pOsT A ViD WhEn yOu cAn :)

- sIdE PrOfIlE/ tRaCkInG
    - 12-13lBs cAmErA PaCkAgE
    - mAx sPeEd 18m/sEc
    - 100M

hOpE It hOlDs!

<evil grin>
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

I love your trademark & stats !!!

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I will! I have shoots all week, and I could not convince anyone to include the drone :( lol. But I will see if I can sqeeze in some air time. I only unpacked/inspected for damage. I will post updates on pairing/mounting to alta/flying as i can.

Andy I honestly did not understand what he was asking until your help

10. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

And the people at freefly are undoubtedly better/ faster than me with the alta and movi, so when they say "Unable to cause blowout". . . . well i dunno. that excites me.

12. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

The concern I have is with what? A 5D, C300 w/ Cinelens, GoPro, Red w/ EF lens, Alexa w/ Optio full FIZ, Paralinx at 13lbs an iPhone... and at what speeds, for how long, side profile or straight on, headwinds, temp, altitude, etc.

On the M15, you can't get a Red/Alexa w/ Ultra prime (9lbs) to hold side profile at full speed (18m/sec) for more than 10sec w/o it going limp (pan breaking loose).

We brought the pan motors issue up two summers ago and many times since, support pretty much was no help (said it was a balancing issue). We had to tell many car commercial clients we could not do high speed tracking due to it breaking loose. This year funny enough almost all car DP's we have worked with stated they don't want to use the Movi cuz they have witnessed the gimbal issue 1st hand (we do a lot of car commercials, probably 150 days this year). Heck we even offered support 2 summers ago to fund $25k into Movi R&D for pan motor development cuz we where that desperate but unfortunately nothing came of it.

Also brought up the Movi EMI issues in the past multiple time w/ support but no real answer / fixes / kind of denied it was happening (stated we should move locations), the M15 totally shat the bed on Planet of the Apes & had to come up w/ another gimbal solution cuz we where operating right over 3x large generators (no option to move spots) which made the gimbal shut down/limb (drone was 70ft above and hovering, we thought it was just the gimbal, till we tried 12x M10/M15's total and all exhibited the same issue after 10-15sec).

Freefly has done awesome w/ the Movi, great tech! But clients are demanding and expect highend film equipment to just work in every situation it's in (yes unrealistic) but doesn't seam like there is enough testing in real world applications w/ Movi - Alta (example the 6 is not rated for a Red/Alexa package as stated, yes it can fly a striped down package but not in all situations/altitude/temps and especially NOT fully kitted like NAB, I doubt that package ever even flew! :)

Above example why we want real world tests (whats stated by Freefly is not always accurate).

Alta 6 as advertised = 15lbs paylod / 15min
    Gross take off weight = 30lbs
    ---
    Alta 6 = 10lbs
    2x 10Mah = 5.9lbs
    Camera = 5lbs
    Summilux = 3.7lbs
    Movi M15 = 4.8lbs
    IDX = 1.9lbs
    Wedge & Cables = 2lbs
    Tomahawk = 0.9lbs
    2x Hedens = 0.7lbs
    ---
    TOTAL = 34.9lbs (4.9lbs over weight) but even at 30lbs its not 15min flight times at sea level 70 degrees (what are they landing at 20.0v LOL, even 21.0v is unacceptable, 21.5v load is the lowest you should go before risk of battery voltage fall off).

Equipment should be design w/ the highest common denominator "not the lowest". We use our gimbals, drones, rzrs, russian arm & such for our business, we operated 250+ days w/ 10 crew & have invested $150k+ on Freefly equipment. Don't get me wrong, I want Freefly equipment to work but I have countless emails to support and not one gave me a real answer, many where not even responded to.

Wish the Pro had more than a 15lbs payload... what's the payload rating for the problematic M15 - oh yeah 15lbs! Maybe a M Pro+ will come out one day w/ 20-25lbs (that would be amazing) or just release the XL already!

Anyway enough with my rant, just want actual tech specs to see what's the max the M Pro can do/hold. I just pray one day we will all have 1 gimbal solution to count on so we can deal w/ the million other issues being onset & running a business!!!

But good on you Freefly, ya make some awesome gear & I would never want to be in manufacturing/sales and have to deal with guys like me LOL

Rant out :)

#12 Jason Toth, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  13. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I feel you. I am forever wanting more out of my equipment as well. Got 8 rotors cause 6 was not performing as advertising, Movi pro cause i couldnt do tracking shot the way iwanted. we will see if that pays off, and ill try to keep you updated. It be unfortunate if the pan motors do not outperform what the m15 could do, but at 50% bigger (unless i misunderstood something Tabb said), I would be surprised.Wish i could find time to test in air, i barely had enough time to try first balance and all that today. Hopefully others than me are running the same combo as i will be, and can chime in.

14. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

For sure. I'm honestly stuck as to why some companies leave so much money on the table. However, hindsight is 20/20, and often, companies invest so much in a direction that changing course would be an expensive risk to take.

And I don't mean to make it sound like I have not been frustrated by the accuracy of some freefly specific statements/numbers. And I don't think your wrong to be frustrated. I just know that in order to compensate for the tracking shots I (and another more "skilled" operator on my first shoot, before I could prove it was a movi thing lol) could not capture, the production not only paid another aerial operator and me for 3 hours to prove that I was plenty skilled enough, but ended up hiring a shotover to get the shot, a $125,000 dollar drone/gimbal combo.I by no means am an afficianado on the gimbal/drone combos that could have performed adequately, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting for the money.

#14 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  15. LeoBund

LeoBund New Member

Totally agree!. Real world tests and real world redundancy videos should be a must for the prices FF are charging... we still beleive that the only way to fly a Alexa Mini and 15mmto40mm in 20knots of wind is to have a geared pan system....

16. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

k now im lost. . . I feel like for prices FF is charging, is actually a pretty decent bang-for-buck, pound for pound. Especially now with the XL potentially starting at $22,000 (unless im misquoting).

But i guess your point is your not getting your moneys-worth if there are not accompanying FF-made videos and test results showing the limits that they claim. I dont know enough to say thats not a fair point.

#16 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  17. Michael Izquierdo

Michael Izquierdo New Member

Heres our movi pro alta 8 set up with a Alexa mini and Zeiss cp2, DJI focus. weighed in at 38lbs... yea that little guy flying in the background is our racer hd pro sight set up.

Attached Files:

18. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Can't get our Alexa or Red package below 44lbs w/o going to 10,000Mah which is a shame - they should have made it capable of 45lbs min at least (all they had to do is ask some guys what they use on set and bammmmm... 43-45lbs is what it come out to with 16,000's) or better yet max out at 55lbs max per permits since octos can support this weight no problem now a days.

Pedro Núñez likes this.
  19. Michael Izquierdo

Michael Izquierdo New Member

Yea the 10,000 mah weigh around 3.5 lbs each and I think the 16000 weigh. 4.5 lbs each so that sounds about right.