/dist/images/branding/favicon

Case for Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Anyone gonna produce these besides freefly? Jason?Here is a pic of FF's

[​IMG]
    As Rob pointed out (thanks) it is 41 pounds.

I think this one from pelican, little less than a third of the price, and 7-8 less pounds, might work. It is the 1620.
    [​IMG]

#1 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

And Rob, The thing should fit in quite a few of pelicans cases. I am so $#%&&* tired of plucking foam. . . . .and that is NOT something you leave up to the help. I will just work extra hard for the 7 hours I would have spent plucking and cursing the polyethylene-lords for one MOVI. I think

#2 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Sebastian. I wrote up a bunch of my opinions on cases not too long ago and put up some photos of my setup. You can read about it here:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/m15-case-opinion.8354/

Not sure how the Movi Pro's overall size will be different than the M15. Also, everyone's needs will be different -- do you put it in a truck, airplane, car? Do you want to leave the camera on it or leave it mostly rigged when you move it around?

The Freefly Case looks really large and heavy (41 lbs!), not to mention expensive. If you have to take the Movi Pro on an airplane, it's probably a good case. If you're running around town in your SUV, it might be too big.

So lots to consider. And I keep changing how I pack things, and when the Pro comes in, I'm planning to re-arrange everything again.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  4. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I am a van and trailer kinda guy, but great post! Thanks! Your write-up convinced to make sure it stays in our cushy van, never into the bumpy trailer

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Graham, Did you ever try a 1610? I thought 1620 looked pretty close to freefly's own case. This is what u use for your m15 now. . .
    [​IMG]
    But sounds like it does not fit much other than movi. You like it?

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I carry my cameras in separate cases, and the new Pro feet negate my concerns about moving it around on set, which u mention in your write-up, and has been a concern for me in the past. I really want to be able to fit the ring in the case, which is why i am considering spending 1000 on a case smh. . . .surprise surprise, look who is getting a page for the movi pro together

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/product/movi-pro-case/

If it fits the ring, for $700, I am in Jason

7. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I think I'll look at one case for the gimbal itself (according to the specs on freefly you'll need a case that is 30x30). Then I'll look at something like the 1510 with trekpak for everything but the gimbal. I dig the rolling tool case for the gimbal but would love something more low profile to fit easier on a camera cart, especially when dealing with load in

8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

No ring? thats the only thing I dunno about fitting into a case. If Jason puts out anything like he did for the M15, and it can fit all the things the FreeFly one does including the ring, and its 700$ and 23 pounds like the m15 one, I am definitely doing that. Otherwise I will likely adopt the same two case approach

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

yikes. . . .67 pounds. How did FreeFly make their cases so light?
    their larger pelican case made by the same company, same material. . . . 34 pounds lighter. I am so confused

#9 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
  10. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Looks like 30x30 is what ur gonna need if u wanna store the ring in there

#10 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Al2727-0914 is the pelican case that resembles the specs of the Large freefly case, dimension-wise. $512
    [​IMG]

#11 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

[​IMG]
    Aerial case freefly uses is cube 0350

#12 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  13. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

This thread has some confusing information in it. I may have to start a new thread with regard to all this. I don't spend as much time on the forum as in previous years, so please feel free to contact me directly if you have product suggestions or if you have questions.

In the mean time, here's one of the best cases for the Movi Pro:

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/product/movi-pro-case/

[​IMG]

#13 Jason Comparetto, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Rob Ruscher likes this.
  14. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Yeah I'm not sure I follow you Sebastian. But again, it's really hard to plan out a case when you don't have the gear in your hands. My initial thought is to have one case that will fit the ring and gimbal. That smallest and the most thin it can be. A second case will then be for everything else, possibly even camera body when flying. The Pelican 1510 with TrekPak would be perfect for this as I can change my layout depending on gear needed

15. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Did I contradict myself, or just ramble too much? I'll try clearing it up and editing previous posts. Al2727-0514 is the smallest I think u can get and still fit the ring. I will be getting this one.

Pelican 0350 cube is the size freefly uses for its aerial case. I believe it is the smallest I would use based on pictures of the case containing freefly's foam.

Jason said his case would fit the ring, may be out in the next two two weeks. And he is not releasing weight/size dimensions yet.

16. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Nope I just lost track of the info. Excited to see what everyone puts out as I feel a good case for this system is a huge deal.

17. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Looks like Jason is going with the 1630 pelican case (at least dimension-wise, not sure if its actually that case).

Pelican looks like it actually puts the wrong weights on its site. Says 75 pounds for that case, where other sites, including jasons, says 30-35 pounds. . . .

I think I will just order the 1630 and do the foam myself. While jasons foam is always top-of line, I am gonna save the $400 and try to do the best i can.

Whaddya think Rob?

[​IMG]

#17 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  18. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Looks good! I've been talking with them about ideas and my thoughts. Excited to see what they do. I'm thinking I will go with an option that has Movi Pro and most accessories and then have the ring separate. When I fly, I will most likely put the ring back in the box and ship it to my hotel.

19. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

not a bad idea. . . . .maybe the cube that freefly will be using for their aerial package then? or will that not fit as many accessories that you need?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And are you not worried about that $900 ring? How you getting it to and from shoots?

20. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Most likely front seat of my car. Seatbelt it in with a towel wrapped around. We will see what cases get produced for it