/dist/images/branding/favicon

Batteries?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Oscar Ubilluz, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Focus systems are kind of expensive, and if you don't already have one, then I can understand the dilemma. The gimbal is the money maker, and the focus system is kind of a throw-in. Production will typically only pay for so much in rentals. Good news is, you can certainly buy motors that you know will work, and that's typically half the cost.

Tabb mentioned in one of the Facebook Live's that the Mimic would probably be able to interface with the Alpha Wheels. I mean, it looked like he even showed a Sony Playstation controller controlling the Movi through the Mimic ports. The Alpha Wheels are supposed to be pretty agnostic when it comes to encoding (this stuff I don't really know a lot about), so they should be able to work out an interface. With two COM ports and a USB on the Mimic, I'm sure they'll get something going pretty quickly. In fact, Boyd from 1A Tools said in an email today that they had big plans for the Alpha Wheels with Movi Pro, as well as other accessories. Expect a new Tripod Adapter from those guys soon, too.

2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Good stuff. I will wait on both. The alpha wheels def. look like the the way to go, Ill start to keep a closer eye. And i suppose ill just get express order a follow focus if i get the gimbals with no news of a controller alternative. Prob go bartech, 5k for that system (and motors i can use no matter what) seems like a smart decision.

3. Graham Futerfas

A lot of gimbal ops are also liking the Hocus Axis 1, so maybe consider that one too. I'm not 100% sure if it works with the Pro's system, but it looks compatible with the 7-pin config.

Sam Nuttman has an excellent blog on this (maybe I've referenced it to you before?):
    http://samvisuals.com/remote-lens-control-systems/

4. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

You have not. . . great article. It actually made me start considering the Red Rock (I know that was not your intention ;)).

I am simply thinking. . . It would be nice to invest in a system that offers a feature that the movi pro integrated system does not offer (ability to pull focus as gimbal operator). While I dont anticipate doing this often/ever, I now have another gimbal to consider, so that might be interesting to invest in. I know they lack the professionalism of the other systems. . .

If I decide quality over novelty, the Hocus looks like a great choice.I have never used one, only rr, bartech, and cmotions. Out of curiosity, do you prefer the hocus over the bartech for the similar price? or were you simply recommending an alternative?

5. Graham Futerfas

Hi Sebastian, I haven't used the Hocus, but I know people who like it. I like my Bartech, and even AC's who own Preston's don't seem to mind it when they understand that their MDR is too big for the gimbal. I have the Digital version, with the FStop receiver, from PLC Electronics, and I haven't noticed the loose feel that Sam mentions, and it works with Cinema and Still lenses (lenses that don't have hard stops).

I pointed out Sam's blog because it offers very good advice on what to consider from a gimbal operator's point of view. Everyone's needs are different. Hopefully it helps.

I'm not an expert on their product, but if you consider the Hocus, it looks like they offer two different motors: Reflex A and Reflex U. The Reflex U appears to be more widely compatible with Freefly and Preston, which would make sense if you're eventually considering a future Freefly (or 3rd Party -- I'm looking at you, 1A Tools!) hand focus\iris controller that works directly with the Movi Pro.

Speaking of 1A Tools, they just announced a Movi Tripod adapter for Pre-Order. I've really liked my M15 tripod adapter, so I recommend checking them out. They even offered a Movi Pro upgrade kit for those of us who don't want to buy a whole new one, which I thought was very nice of them. Good guys over there.

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

The mount is cool, and the upgrade path is even cooler. More of that would make this industry a whole lot more fun to be a part of.

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

From 1A

"Hey Barrett, we would love for the Alpha Wheels to work with the Mimic and are actually working to make that a reality. It's still more in talks than actual development, so we can't say with certainty it will happen. But stay tuned. We have a newsletter on our site, if you sign up there, you'll be notified as soon as we have any solid information.

As far as a FIZ controller, that's definitely not in our plans unfortunately. An excellent idea, but outside the scope of the types of products we make currently."

8. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Alpha wheels do work with the Movi Pro

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Hey Rob.

Yea I believe with a spektrum or futaba controller they will work, Alpha is looking to expand to MIMIC compatibility, which is the fastest remote control unit for the gimbal (I think).

Joshua Coté likes this.
  10. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

That would be awesome! I loved seeing the Facebook video where they had a PS4 controller plugged into the new mimic. I think we are going to see a lot of amazing stuff

Joshua Coté likes this.
  11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Rob, that would definitely be the sweetness. Also, some exciting news for me at least, Bartech makes a solo-operator control wheel for 100$! No red rock for me! Now when my AC is late and gets canned, I have a back-up instead of losing the gig. Of course, two operator minimum is what I am going for, but it's a pretty cool option to have, especially with my hesitance to buy a potentially redundant system (with a freefly or third party fiz for movi pro lens driver surely on the way).

12. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

@SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Check out the croziel magnum as well. The new mini receiver is tiny, and the system as a whole is really solid. I have been using one for a little over a year. It gets great range as well.

13. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

Does anyone have the dimensions of the batteries yet? Im looking to laser cut foam and store all of our batteries and chargers in a pelican case.

14. Graham Futerfas

Hi Dave, the batteries are approximately 115mm x 55mm x 60mm (LxWxH), but they're not perfectly square. There's a lip for the connection part and a release button that sticks out.

I'll attach some photos. They come in a box with a nice removable piece of foam that's cut out for the battery, with finger holes and everything. The foam box measures on the outside 140mm x 85mm x 70mm (LxWxH).

IMG_0540.jpg IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg IMG_0544.jpg IMG_0545.jpg IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0547.jpg IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0549.jpg

Dave Ketelhut likes this.
  15. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

The fact that they come with a foam box is a nice idea :)

16. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yea I would either cut down the side of the foam they sent with them and use that, or just use pick and pluck. I hate the stuff, but works well for items like batteries and chargers. U can just kinda push things like that in there, depending on the depth your looking for

17. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

This is awesome!

i Really appreciate it, we have a laser cutter at work so I will probably play around with a few different concepts =D

Thanks again!!!!

18. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi there,
    I did a job recently with my MoVI pro and usual accessories, RT motion FF, teradek 2000 and a Red helium. And very quickly ran into problems I powered the camera and accessories through the rig as I've done with red dragon etc and after about 10 mins the teradek and FF started dropping out. Full power shut down. Which seems to me like the batteries can't power the helium and accessories like it could the red.
    I'm currently doing a camera test now and have replicated this again, it's happening now. The helium while running in a studio is drawing 5.4 amps which is a lot and the fan isn't even working hard.
    Are the batteries powerful enough for this? Has anyone else had problems?
    Would seem an oversight if we can't power the latest camera and accessory combination. Are there any plans for more powerful batteries? I really don't want to have to put a v lock on the back as do slots of remote wildlife work and it's all about saving weight. And for me the point of the pro was to get round all this.

19. Graham Futerfas

The Movi Pro batteries have had trouble powering some follow focus MDR's. I know it doesn't like my Bartech, for instance.

Does the Helium shut down, or just the follow focus? If you remove the RT motion from the Movi's power, does everything work OK? Or is it the Helium causing the trouble by itself?

I have LiPo batteries that I used with my Movi M15, and I use those to power the follow focus or when I need to power accessories that the Movi can't power. I have to be careful not to drain them too far, or the batteries will die forever, but I keep a LiPo checker on them and change them out very early. They last a long while powering just the follow focus.

20. sandeep nandy

sandeep nandy Member

I tested 4S 8000mah LIPO on RED scarlert-W only and it ran for 1hr 15min. Used the same to power Gremsy H16+REd+connex+dji focus motor and it lasted for 40min. Now i am confused how the two batteries limiting to 4000mah will last for an hour, unless movi pro efficiency is out of the ordinary .