/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED Jetpack expanders and remote start/stop cables

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Ozkan Erden, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello everyone,

For those who has been using Red Epic Dragon or Scarlet Dragon cameras (DSMC) with a remote start/stop trigger might face problem when they use the same trigger cable on DSMC2 body with Jetpack expander.

DSMC bodies have integrated Sync / Ctrl ports and Sync port. On the DSMC body, the Red Sync trigger used a 3.3V (5V tolerant) Schmitt trigger to start and stop the camera. We used a start/stop cable which is plugged into Sync port manufactured by Gentles Ltd UK on DSMC bodies without an issue.

With the introduction of the DSMC2 body, the Sync and Ctrl ports has been completely removed from the camera brain and resides on expanders.

For aerial shots most users will opt for JetPack expander as it is simple and cheap. But, Red has changed the trigger protocol on JetPack expander, so the regular Schmitt type trigger will not work on JetPack expanders.

However, the Base expander, which is a upper model of Jetpack, features a Schmitt trigger. So, if you have Base expander on a DSMC2 body, your regular start/stop cable will work. But, with JetPack expander, it will not work.

I had to buy a newer version of trigger cable from Gentles UK to make the Scarlet-W with JetPack expander work.

And another note regarding the power cable for Red DSMC2 bodies with Jetpack expander.

With my Red Dragon, I have been using 90 degree lemo adapter to power the camera from a lipo. But, you need a straight lemo cable for jetpack expanders. The 90 degree connectors will not fit to the Jetpack expanders as the angle of the camera crosses to the expansion body. You either modify the connector (which is a bit tricky since the lemo connectors are tough to cut the 90 degree part), or get a straight lemo connector.

Red's "Base" expander doesn't have this issue as well. You can use your existing 90 degree cables without issues as it's not facing downwards.

So, personally, if I would get a new expander for my DSMC2 body, I would definitely opt for Base Expander. Even though it has more connectors on it, it's a bit lighter than the JetPack expander.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, Ozkan. I was asking about this yesterday in the Movi Pro section.

It seems the Movi Pro cables are designed to fit the JetPack, according to the Freefly Store. I have a DSMC run\stop cable for my Bartech made by Media Blackout, and it has the 3 volt output on it. I think my RED power connectors are already straight pin, not 90 degree, but I'd need a new run\stop for Weapons and DSMC2's.

Will the RED RCP cable\protocol work through the Base Expander, or is it different? I like the idea of controlling the camera with the new Mimic.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Graham,

You are correct. If you go with Jetpack expander, your Bartech cable will not work.

However, Red rcp cable will work on base expander as well.

4. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Ozkan.

As a gimbal op (and not a RED camera owner), I'm wondering if I should buy a camera module for my Movi Pro kit. My M15 kit has all kinds of cables and battery plates for the DSMC Dragon cameras, but I haven't worked with the Weapon on my M15. It'll probably become much more common this next year, though.

I bought the RED power and RCP cables from Freefly, but they only work with the JetPack module apparently -- probably because they cut them to that length, and they don't look long enough for the Base Expander or the I/O V-mount module. From what I can tell, the Movi's CAM port is on the opposite side of the CTRL input on the Base Expander module.

I can easily see a production renting a camera that comes with a module that won't work nicely with the Movi, especially with lots of private owners out there. At least the DSMC Dragon has everything I need built into the brain, but the Weapon does not. Still, the JetPack sounds like a good option if I have the RCP cable -- I can start\stop from the Mimic.

Appreciate your thoughts on this!

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hello Graham,

Freefly support will answer the cable length question more accurately. But, you can make it longer with simple soldering.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a camera module if I were you; I'd rather invest in cables or other accessories. I think camera rentals would mostly provide DSMC2 V-Lock with IO expander. (If every grams matter to you, maybe you can invest; the V-lock expander is 200 grams heavier than the JetPack module).

Hope that helps.

6. Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher Member

7. Graham Futerfas

This was very helpful, Alan. Thanks.

8. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Anyone know if I can still use the start/stop cable for Red Epic/Scarlet + Freefly universal start/stop adapter with the jetpack expander? I have a Movi M10.
    Or if I can use the wedge + Lightweight Start/Stop Cable for RED Epic/Scarlet with the jetpack expander?

Have traded in my dragon for the epic w, and I am about to receive the jetpack expander.

#8 Eirik Nicolai Heim, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

This is something I can't check since I don't have the Freefly start/stop cables etc.

Maybe Freefly support would help on this issue.

10. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Have already sent them a mail, just very eager to know. Have to order new cables and it takes some time in the remote part of Northern Norway.

11. Eirik Nicolai Heim

If i have the vlock base expander, that will use the same trigger as the jetpack expander? Only the base expander that has the old trigger?

Can I harm something if I test the cables?

12. Eirik Nicolai Heim