/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 wobbles in the air -

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Chris Jordan, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Oh the despair, and the first world problems.. heh. (we're pretty blessed to do what we do)

So, I'm going to assume that most of the issues i'm seeing are with the way the gimbals mounted to the craft. I'm using the DJI M600 dampening kit, and it seems to be working great, except that the same issues i've had for years (Under Alta, X8, etc) are still there. I've never had luck getting my Red and M15 to produce footage as locked in as I see on the Freefly Commercials, and or my zenmuse kits for the smaller rigs we use for lesser jobs.

Here's a video I shot today, where there's no vibrations, and the M15 is doing the VERY BEST I've ever had one perform in the air. That being said, I see the footage coming out of so many outlets, and it looks great! I can't imagine everyone is stabilizing their footage. The M15 is world class. BUT unless I'm in a car, or motorcycle, or handheld running behind someone, The footage looks like this.

The pan and roll axis have a slight issue, but for the most part, it just feels like its wagging.

Forgive the extremely lame footage - you get it. Testing.

The clip has my settings (2 different settings) second settings start at 1:45 and I added the screenshots here because I rushed and the text covers the image.

password: taco

Attached Files:

2. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey Chris, if you have some time to make a video could you post up a video of the camera balanced while it sits on the ground with the landing gear? Put the camera in a few positions and see that it stays there. Clip on the top handle and check your pan balance too.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: Am I right that it seems like the problem is confined to the pan axis -- when I watch the video, and just look at the left or right edge of the frame it seems that it is only wobbling in pan? Do you agree?

That might help narrow things down...

Andy
    [SIZE=1
    Fornsic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ----------[SIZE=1] Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Agreed, but also there's some roll issues here too. Much more minor. The tilt is locked.

The gimbal is balanced so well I can put gains up in the 350's with no oscillations on the ground.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. I know this is going to sound a bit silly, but is everything that's mounted on the MoVI really securely mounted so there's no way it can wobble. What I'm seeing in the video is not vibration, it's not oscillation, but it does appear to be the sporadic "twitching" -- almost as though something is loose on the MoVI.

Does that match with what you're seeing?

Have you been in contact with FF support@freeflysystems.com? Just curious as to what their take might be?

Andy

Foensic Software& sUA / Drne Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Nothing is loose, but that's a good thought to check. It's locked and loaded. It seems like it's "wandering" even though it's been calibrated, locked gps with maxtenna, and auto tuned after each change with gyro and or expert settings.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That leads me to suspect a dodgy electrical connection somewhere...but I'm running out of ideas if it's not that.

Andy

8. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Sure, I posted to support. I got the gimbal back from them a few months back from a repair. To the gps, but they did more than I knew about and didn't send me the report (that I asked for) for why it cost so much. I'm not interested in spending even more money to have it fixed where it's immaculate. It seems fine handheld etc.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. The worrisome thing is that the MoVI is not twitching when you have it hand-held, so that suggests that it might likely be something about how the MoVI is attached. I think in your first post you said that you were using the DJI M600 dampening kit, right?

I'm not trying to push the "blame" away from the MoVI, but the evidence would seem to suggest that is a possibility....

Andy

10. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Oh you're fine Andy, the thought that I had was that it's flying forward, hovering looking up to the left, down etc and it's "wagging" left and right. If it doesn't rain today i'll head out and attach a camera to the unit to film the gimbal at the same time. If it was the mount as I previously suspected, it would feel like it's shifting or strafing the tiniest bit left and then right, vs this seems to be it turning left and right.

11. Freddie Murphy

Freddie Murphy New Member

I have the same issue with my M5. I'm assuming it's from the mount (mine is directly attached to the copter without any dampening). I'm waiting on a new wire isolator to arrive.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris: OK. Let us know what you find.
    Freddie: What copter do you have the M5 mounted to?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

13. Freddie Murphy

I have the M5 mounted to a custom built X8. I'm using a Falcon frame and Vulcan arms. I had a Phobotic gimbal hard mounted to the copter and it worked out great, but I haven't been able to get the Movi tuned in.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. It's really hard to analyze the mechanics of that setup, I'm afraid -- have you mounted a GoPro or the like to the frame to see what kind of vibrations it's subject to?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

I'm back from being away and with new results:

I stiffened up the mount that it was connected to, and it made a huge difference. It doesn't wobble like it was. The footage looks much better, until it doesn't lol.

Here's the video of the new mount.

So the very beginning the M15 loses horizon pretty bad. I didn't calibrate the compass before hand, I usually never have to, but I will before testing again. I've never had this problem before, so maybe it's vibrations?

Around 3:07 is where it starts to act like it did before but worse. 3:57 forward is where you can tell it's just not locked in.

Pass: taco

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris: Stiffening up the mount suggests that the problem is that the MoVI was acting like a pendulum under the copter. The really puzzling thing is that, from what you say, there is no problem with the M15 on the ground?

I'm grasping at straws here, but you are powering the M15 from its own batteries, right? No electrical connection to the copter?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Yes, it's being powered by one movi battery. The way the math is set up now is perfect, and it seems to me like I'm getting the same footage now, that I got when I had my Alta

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Not sure I understand what you mean by "math?"

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

19. Freddie Murphy

I haven't tried mounting a GoPro. According to my SuperX flight controller, the vibrations are relatively fine. I'm waiting on a new vibration mount from Flacon drones. Hopefully that'll take care of it. I also found a post by Dave King about tuning the m5 for being mounted to a drone. (Saved to my notes, not sure where the original post is located)

I'll be giving that a try next time the weather is nice.

20. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Mount - typo ;)