/dist/images/branding/favicon

Trailer for feature film 'Lion' - lots of M15 on wheels

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Brett Harrison, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Hi guys,

Please check out the trailer for a film I worked on in early 2015. Many of the tracking shots in India were shot on the M15 in dual user (with a few single user shots).

#1 Brett Harrison, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Dylan Glockler

Looks brilliant/beautifully shot. Look forward to seeing the film.

Brett Harrison likes this.
  3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Brett, I saw a screening of the film the other night and it's really fantastic! Nice work on it. The movie is very well done and beautifully photographed. Congratulations!

4. Brett Harrison

Hi Graham! That's really exciting, I haven't had a chance to see it yet! Thanks for saying :)

There was no Steadicam in India.

Here's a picture of 3rd AC Manish Ghadge. A lot of the success came down to Manish and the whole B unit crew really taking it upon themselves to understand the rig and how to break down a production mode Alexa M and build up an M15 rig with wheels in 15 minutes flat (sometimes 12).

[​IMG]

#4 Brett Harrison, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Dylan Glockler likes this.
  5. Graham Futerfas

It was an Awards screening -- typically because the producers want to build buzz for nominations -- so that's quite an honor. I really enjoyed it and was talking with some other people about it the next day.

That's quite a setup there. Did you just have the one M15 on hand, or did you carry backups? Which Wheels did you use?

6. Brett Harrison

Just the one.

The wheels were the original PLC Veracity Wheels with the Spektrum controller - not fun to wrangle! - which were very new at the time, I think a matter of 2 or 3 months. The fact they were available was a huge deciding factor for the adoption of the M15 as a general purpose tool on this shoot.

That and the FISBlue optical cable (which Tabb hooked me up with) enabled the whole thing to happen. Ironic that the Mini was announced towards the end of production! :)

#6 Brett Harrison, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Graham Futerfas

Also, congratulations! I heard Greig Fraser won the Golden Frog for cinematogaphy at CamerImage.

8. Brett Harrison

Thanks Graham! Still pinching myself I had a (small) role in this movie. Really nice to see Greig getting recognition for the incredible work.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  9. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Wow. Looks like sublime cinematography, and also like an excellent story worth watching. Kudos to all.