/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Pro - Sony FS7

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Qiushi Yu, Nov 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

Hi!

I am new to MoVi and I am excited about getting a MoVI PRO.

Got a quick question here: that are the essential accessaries for flying a FS7 on the MoVI PRO?

Thanks!

2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Flying?

movi pro Lanc cable if you want it, and a Movi Controller if you want to access lanc and integrated FIZ motors controller/receiver. . . . im not sure about that yet tho. MIMIC is supposed to be able to do it. You can always get an external FIZ receiver/controller and put it on there, just seems like a shame when there is one built in.

a FS7 power cable that runs from dtap. I bought mine from b&h, u can get them elsewhere. . . u need the shorter one

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-D-...-PXW-fs5-And-Sony-PXW-FS7-Camcorder-1818.html

a monitor that runs at the power Movi pro puts out, a dtap power cable for your monitor, and an ultrathin cable

wireless video transmitter and receivers if want to pull focus, monitor on your mimic, video-village, etc. You will likely want a set of these.

i think thats it man. have fun!

#2 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Qiushi Yu and Graham Futerfas like this.
  3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

and of course, a drone, if your trying to fly it.:)

Qiushi Yu likes this.
  4. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

oh and just an afterthought, Fs7's on gimbles get pretty front heavy depending on lens combo. . .u might want to have a battery in anyways. or a plate or something.

5. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

Thanks for the comment man! I haven't got a partner to operate the MoVI Pro system together yet. But being able to pull focus and use mimic and MoVI controller is definitely the next step. how do you like your experience with the FS7 on a MoVI PRO?

6. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

This is one of my biggest concern. I think battery on the back will balance the weight but then it adds on extra weights. Seems I will need a vest in order to be 100% for a full day production.

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

can only speak for myself, but I definitely found that all-day-shoots on an m10 or m15 (really any fully loaded gimbals, considering how light freefly makes theirs) benefits from some kind of extra support (an EasyRig or something similar). Or a second person/AC following you around with that setup stand the gimbal came with:D.

For all day shoots on a fully loaded gimbal (most times. . . I have done an all-day with a small DSLR and a m10, which was not that hard) , regardless of camera/lens combo, I recommend some kind of vest. However, I am very excited to see how the hand ring feet perform, this feature could really help with longer shoots. I will probably try to go with-out a vest the first couple days I get mine so I can tell how much being able to set it down all the time will help. Should be very helpful.

BTW, got an answer for you...

"If you want a FIZ system on any other lens or camera (or zoom on an EF lens on a RED) you will need external lens control motors and an external controller. The only external controller currently available or compatible with the integrated FIZ driver is the MōVI Controller."

So if you want to pull focus, do iris, zoom, you need either a MOVI controller to control the integrated FIZ, a MIMIC or MOVI controller coupled with a RED camera to access RCP, or a completely 3rd party external FIZ system.

Qiushi Yu likes this.
  8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

"how do you like your experience with the FS7 on a MoVI PRO?"

well. . . . . . . . haha. I will let you know when FreeFly starts reaching out to me directly for testing purposes. After the year I am about to have with their products, they just might ;)

On other Movi's? I love it. Obviously, RED's, ALEXA minis, and honestly some of the big DSLRS, all are nicer/easier to operate and balance on the gimbal. But all the reasons I love running the FS7 are still there

Qiushi Yu likes this.
  9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Also. . . . I suggest watching tutorial videos on the MOVI controller with a friend/business partner, seeing if you can rent a Movi controller anywhere near you, and the two of you trying it out. Once you spend a day or two learning how to operate the product, you can see how useful and necessary it really is. If you are a quick learner, you can maybe offer that as a skill set/service offered. I have some pretty expensive tools that were directly funded by landing a job/contract that wanted those services.

You can operate the Movi Pro with-out the controller, but it seems FreeFly went to great lengths to make sure the really work best when used together. Plus, you also now have an FIZ controller on your gimbal that is just creating unnecessary weight.

If you already own an FIZ system however, there is no harm in seeing if you like that more than a MOVI controller before you purchase. If you do not own one, you probably should. And i personally would consider the Movi controller and Integrated Follow focus system before you spend thousands on another system. If all FreeFlys stuff works perfectly out of the box, it seems to be a fine system.

#9 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Qiushi Yu likes this.
  10. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

sorry just realized you said "definitely the next step." So you probably didn't need that sales pitch I just gave you on the MOVI controller. You will definitely not regret buying it for use with the MOVI Pro as an FIZ, and if you do, PM me and I will buy the controller (for the right price ;)).

11. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

Could you please help me to understand what do you mean by a FIZ System? A wireless follow focus system you mean? I just watched their Facebook Live about the MoVI PRO. I am excited about the system.

One of my goal for now is to build a 2 person team that shoots amazing content and I believe will be the way to go to decrease production budget- MoVI definitely feeds that goal. I don't own a MoVI controller yet, but already considering buy one. Together with mimic, movi pro, movi controller and a wireless focus, iris motor system (which is the missing puzzle here) I believe the goal is one more step closer.

12. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

I think you understand the MoVI system. If I were you, I would just hit them up directly with your reel. Because they has the need of "review content“ from experienced users like you for marketing purpose. Ship over a product them is nothing.

13. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

I would prefer to go with the MoVI controller. Setting up a 2 person team particularly for providing MoVI/Gimbal work is a goal. May I ask you where to find more clients who needs this kind of services?

14. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

FIZ= Follow focus, iris, zoom, the three rings on a lot of lenses you can control. Wireless zoom is not a requirement, I like it though.

With those tools, you are two people short of a successful team I think!

15. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Ha yea I just meant the MoVI Pro has not started shipping yet, so I have no reel to send them.. And like I said, after they see my MoVI Pro reel, they will be sending me gimbals for my whole family, just in case they are awesome movie makers too:D

Qiushi Yu likes this.
  16. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I think start with two people, but a three person team is really awesome. 1 holding the gimbal, 1 controlling gimbal movement, and 1 pulling focus.

And if you have a strong team that puts out work quickly, people come to you. I know that does not help, so maybe try this . . . Make a business plan, make a bunch of business cards, get some help (two people), and then you and your help go to every single business that could want video (so any business), and offer them fair, grand-opening prices.

Bring a list of services offered. To find that all the jobs you might want to offer, just search "video production services offered" or " video production client intake" and look at all those pages of websites asking what kind of commercials, videos, etc you want, look at images of the forms and lists of services. . This should help.

Also bring a short video you can show them on your iPad. . .show how you and your team operate, kinda a behind the scenes of your awesome new movi pro, controller, team, etc. I have found people like pretty things like 1080p chase scenes.

17. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. Just a random question: What is your go to lens for your FS7? I rent for jobs, but trying to buy a Zoom lens for daily uses.

18. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I would also contact local film Unions where you live/where you can go, as well as contact local production-related companies in your area, letting them know what service you have to offer. That is where I have had my best luck, surrounding myself with like-minded professionals.

19. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

A quick FreeFly thread touching on this.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/any-working-camera-lens-combo-for-zooming.6819/

I am a big fan of Nikkor zoom lenses with a Metabones adapter (speedbooster so its full frame) . However, the focus ring on cine lenses has a lot longer travel, meaning you can pull focus easier.
    Racking Iris is impossible during a shot with the adaptor (unless your using canon or tamron lenses), which a lot of DP's find to be a deal-breaker, not me though. It's the cost of eliminating 20% of my overhead. I use the 14-24 2.8g (my favorite lens. . . especially with full frame), 24-70 2.8g (at f5 at 24mm to avoid vignetting), and 70-200 f2.8 (lots of lens breathing, but super sharp). Operators also dislike the non-mechanical focus ring, as focusing is harder. But I make do.

This is also really an individual preference thing. My company does a lot of still imagery, and we love our Nikon DSLRS and AF/M lenses. Also really great for drone work.

This is a good article if you have any interest in still lenses..
    http://www.newsshooter.com/2011/08/09/choosing-your-lens-which-stills-lenses-for-video/

Like you, I really only rent Cine lenses, but I rent them as often as clients give me the money to do so. Too stressful to own, as they are typically fairly expensive for good, compact ones. I primarily rent Zeiss CZ. 2's as they have native E mounts, which is great for balancing the camera easier. Plus they are awesome lenses, especially for $20,000 (cheap for the product). If I were planning on buying a lens outright, I would consider the 28-80. Its probably my favorite. I really like their Compact primes also. I also rent a canon 17-120 from time to time, but I avoid renting lenses that need adapters if possible.

Something to consider, Zeiss is coming out with a really cool looking lens for $10000, which is crazy-cheap.
    ZEISS LWZ.3[​IMG]

I may consider buying lens depending on the reviews. Could be a very easy lens to rent out.
    Also, Sigma is coming out with an exciting line of high speed lenses supossed to launch in december
    [​IMG]
    Between these new releases, I may have to buy a servo-cine lens this winter.

However, I would not buy any current market Cine-zoom lens for less than the $20000 dollars for the Zeiss CZ.2, at least not for the Sony camera. Plus, the interchangeable mounts means your not buying a lens that cost twice as much as the camera, and then being stuck with E mount if you want to switch cameras in future.

I would wait to see the price on the Sigma series, then I would get either one of those, the new LWZ.3, or a CZ.2.

Or a couple primes, in which case there are a lot of options. The Lwz.3 is particularly intriguing. . . You get 30MM more focal length then the new Sigma 50-100 for the same weight. . . . wow.

So I would wait my friend. . . .the potentially two best priced zoom lenses for FS7-use on a MoVI PRO art supposed to be on the market by January at the latest.

20. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Btw my weight with CZ.2 28-80 and counter balance/battery is around 11 pounds without matte box or wireless transmitter. And I really only use a matte box if I am doing a larger production where being noticeable is not a problem. Otherwise I am usually using screw on filters and stock lens hoods to be more discreet/save weight.