/dist/images/branding/favicon

Accessories Needed for Various Mounting Situations?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Joshua Coté, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

Hey guys,

I'm curious about what accessories I'll need to purchase for various mounting situations. I purchased the MōVI Pro handheld bundle, so I have everything that comes with that. I also added the Toad on a Stick for C-Stand mounting.

I also want to purchase the Walter Klassen MōVI to Mitchell Adapter Plate, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the Pro. I assume it is as the Toad hasn't seemed to change.

If I want to mount to a jib, a car, and or a dolly, what Freefly accessories should I purchase? Will the toad in the hole quick release and the ninja star do the trick?

I'd love to know what people like using best for these types of mounting situations.

Thanks!

#1 Joshua Coté, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Joshua, the Movi Pro seems completely compatible with the Toad in the Hole system.

Get a Ninja Star, for sure, and a couple of extra male toads. The Toad on a Stick looks neat, but you could do that with a Ninja Star, a Male Toad, and a Baby Spud Receiver: http://modernstudio.com/product/baby-receiver-to-14-20-male/

Not sure about the Walter Klassen Mitchell adapter -- I just use the Ninja star along with a large washer from Modern Studio Grip (and a 3/8-16" bolt):
    http://modernstudio.com/product/mitchell-washer-38/

(Edit: I looked at the price on the Walter Klassen plate... you don't need it for $250. Get the Ninja star and the mitchell washer for $100 less. I put the Movi on a 10' crane today with those simple tools and it worked great. Klassen makes great stuff and has excellent customer service, though. I love their extension handles!)

With my Movi kit, I have a bunch of grip doo-dads like spuds, receivers, Grid clamps, etc.

I also have the Stratus Cinema Vibration Isolators for vehicle work (the CVI-XL and the CVI-U). They're really good, but I wish I used them more than I do, to be honest. Not the most common thing I use for the Movi.

#2 Graham Futerfas, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Rob Ruscher likes this.
  3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics to help illustrate what I'm talking about:

IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_2412.jpg

4. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you.

5. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

That's a great setup. Thanks for sharing!

6. Sean Jensen

Sean Jensen New Member

Hi Joshua

I have both the Ninja Star with Toad and the Klassen Mitchell adapter with another Toad. It's great to have both if you don't want to be switching your Toad back and forth for various mounting options. Mitchell being an industry standard and the Ninja Star is great for mounting to Steadicam or a Rig Wheels Cloud Mount.

Sean

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Hey Sean. Mr. Futerfas seems to have touched on this. . . I have also looked up the Walter Klassen plaste, and could not see a reason to get it for $250 and still have to buy the toad. I would be inclined to build a second system like the one detailed in earlier posts. . . Can you speak to any reasons to get the Walter Klassen adapter plate that I am not considering? thanks!

#7 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. Sean Jensen

Sean Jensen New Member

Depending on what you do, video production, commercials, music videos etc, will determine what you need. I've been in the film and TV business for 27 years. For me it's all about workflow. Efficiency on set is key. Being able to hand any grip on set a Mitchell mount, that they have seen a million times and know how to use, makes more sense (for me) than handing them a Ninja Star. I'm sure they could figure it out but the Mitchell is just simpler and faster. I don't always have the luxury of setting up the rigging for whatever camera mount is being used. I'm usually on the dolly operating or doing Steadicam. $250 looks like a big price tag, but to me it's worth it for the peace of mind.

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Sounds like a good reason, thanks for the quick reply!