/dist/images/branding/favicon

Some Questions About The MōVi Pro...

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ryan Hamelin, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Very cool announcement, on that pre-order grind as per usual. Did have a couple of questions though:

Batteries

-Due to the wiring of the batteries and their placement, does the rig drain one battery at a time? If so, does the voltage indicated by the camera we're using show total battery remaining for both batteries or just what's left prior to a switch over?
    -The only public info for the batteries so far is 1.8Ah. Do they fall within the acceptable Lithium-Ion limits to fly with multiple batteries on a plane? 100Wh is the limit for individual batteries on most airlines, or in the case of some airlines, you are allowed to carry a maximum of two that are above the limit.
    -How fast do the new batteries charge from a depleted state to fully charged state?

FIZ

-It is assumed that the FIZ built into the MoViPro is similar in tech to the Freefly Wedge. However, does it have any additional capability to run other types of motors?
    -Can the receiver unit be programmed to communicate with popular hand units already owned by operators? I, for one, own an RT Motion and would love to be able to give the hand unit to an AC without also having to give them a MoVi Controller, particularly if there's already a Remote Operator.

Internal Wiring

-According to the information page, the user can now simply rotate the gimbal at the "roll" axis to allow for easy inverted operating without having to remount the camera or flip an image in post. Is there only one direction that the roll can occur due to what I assume are internal wires? Do we run the risk of rotating multiple times in a direction and damaging components which we can't see?
    -How easy is it to get at internal wiring for maintenance? Or will we always be in a situation of shipping the rig back to Freefly HQ for tune ups?

Mimic 2.0

-What's the new range of the Mimic 2.0?
    -Can the Mimic be used as a handheld camera/MoVi control unit if not connected as the primary controller?
    -How is the Mimic 2.0 powered?
    -Is there room for future camera control updates or software releases to control other cameras? Can they be easily loaded into the MoViPro/Mimic?
    -Does the Mimic 2.0 have Run/Stop capability?

Ring/Stand

-Do the new feet on the stand articulate in some way so that they can be cleared from appearing in frame due to tilting? Could they be removed altogether?
    -Does the new ring play nice with the M15 dock?
    -Does the articulating monitor mount come with all MoViPros? It isn't listed as a separate accessory on the store page as far as I can tell.

Balance

-Does the MoViPro have any additional front to back balancing space compared to the M15?
    -Does the design of the MoVi Pro (the angled back) mean that there is less space to slide tall cameras farther back as compared to the M15? (C300 etc)
    -The M15 weight limit was always a "suggested" 15 lbs, but owner ops routinely tasked the rig with greater payloads with success. How flexible is the MoViPro 6.8kg weight limit?
    -Has the camera cage changed dimensions at all since the M15?
    -Can we still adjust the camera cage/staging area horizontally from the roll motor? This was handy for awkwardly lopsided camera payloads or situations where the camera was barely wide enough to fit in the cage so roll balance adjustments had to happen in other places.
    -Should the gimbal be autotuned between lens swaps due to the new precise calibration and quick autotune time? Or should one autotune per camera build suit most cases unless the type of lenses themselves drastically changes?
    -Now that we're able to remove batteries from cameras with the new power system, is Freefly considering offering some kind of counter balance kit for operators looking to fly heavier lenses but still needing to achieve front/back balance without a battery on the camera body itself? We've had to develop workarounds in the past, but curious if this is something that more people would be interested in.

That's everything I can think of for now, curious if anyone else has additional questions to add.

[​IMG]

Iva Vel likes this.
  2. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

Does the Pro have an integrated follow focus? It doesn't seem entirely clear from the video or the description in the Freefly shop (the shop uses the word FF "Controller").

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Excellent questions!

The cage dimensions look a little smaller than the M15, but maybe I'm reading the specs incorrectly.

I'm wondering if it's the same sliding base plates as the M15, or are they different? Will my M15 tripod adapter still work?

I'm sure a lot of these questions will be answered once we get the units in our hands. I have a lot of 3rd party accessories for my M15 that I hope will still incorporate.

I also ordered 8 extra batteries, so we'll see how long they last with Minis and Epics. Good question about the TSA restrictions and if they're under 100wH.

Thanks!

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  4. Jordy Klein

Jordy Klein New Member

Has anyone tested the Pro in a high speed situation? I am curious to know if the pan motor is more powerful than the one on the M15?
    The pan motor on my M15 seems to blow out at about 30-40mph, respectively
    depending on lens.

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Does the 14v of the dtap mean fs7 users, or any other cameras that draw comparable power, need to power the camera separately still?

6. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

The MoViPro has a follow focus receiver unit with ports for up to 3 follow focus motors. I assume all the motors that have previously worked with the MoVi Controller also work here. The big question is whether or not you need the MoVi Controller itself to pull, or if the system is more open source than it appears to be.

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Yea "integrated" doesn't quite paint a clear picture.

8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Why is the D-tap output on the Aerial package listed as 15 max, and 14 max on handheld? Yep, its me, the dtap guy. :)

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Let me make a list so as not to spam. sorry bout that.

-Ryan kinda asked. . . "Increased motor torque." From the Wedge? Rating?

-If you ever planned on getting the ring, you save a few hundred buy buying it in the bundle, and buying the landing gear separately. Not really a question, just pointing it out. maybe I'm mistaken.

-I'm pretty new to MIMIC, but does this mean its not a beta program anymore, and they can officially "recommend it for production?" Ryan calls it MIMIC 2.0, so I must be missing something.

-timeline on shipping dates?

+1 Ryans questions about popular FIZ controller interfacing and battery compliance to flight regulations

10. Kasper Bröns

Kasper Bröns New Member

Will the new auto tune come to the m15?

11. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Very interesting questions Ryan!!!

I have a few more on top of yours which I was wondering too!

- Are you ever going to have a thumb controller made for the MoVI? People DESPERATELY want this!

- Why are you promoting the EPIC Dragon so much rather than the new DSMC2 bodies? The RCP control you mention for RED cameras, doesn't it just pass through the CTRL input of the camera? Will the RED integration not work with DSMC2 bodies (Weapon, Epic-W, Scarlet-W and Raven)?

- That RED integration, is it only available on the MoVI's screen and MoVI Controller or are there any functions available via the MoVI app?

- Will all current firmwares on the MoVI Pro, MoVI Controller and Mimic have this RED integration?

- Are there ANY camera control features available via the app? (no matter which camera)

- Are there any functions mentioned in the promotional video that will not be available on release of the product?

- If I understand well, there are 3x DTAP power outputs (2x 2A, 1x 6A); How many amps can be pulled at once with one MoVI battery? With two batteries?

- Regarding the pop n lock quick release adapters you sell, which bars on the MoVI Pro are 15mm, 25mm and 30mm?

- How will the MoVI Pro ship? In a cardboard box like the M15?

- Do you have a spares part/repair/emergency type kit for the MoVI Pro?

- What firmware will come on the MoVI Pro? Akira?

- Will there be spares available for the screen at the back of the MoVI Pro? Would it be a user friendly fix or will it need to be sent back to you?

- What is the maximum speed the MoVI Pro can handle with a heavy payload (say 6kg)? Says 100km/ph dependant on payload on the spec sheet I got

- Are there any adapters or pro chargers compatible with the new MoVI Pro batteries for discharging before travel/storage?

12. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Ryan Hamelin likes this.
  13. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

14. alain baars

alain baars Member

- Are you ever going to have a thumb controller made for the MoVI? People DESPERATELY want this!

I have had one custommade by a dutch company, in my case for the Canon C300Mark2

Attached Files:

15. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Is that thumb controller for tilt and pan? Looks like a controller for lens motor?

Let me know!

16. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Like this?

upload_2016-11-3_13-13-29.png upload_2016-11-3_13-14-54.png

Redrock Micro has been working on one for quite some time, it's supposed be ready around the end of December. That's an old image btw, it's since been updated with an OLED screen to give additional control. The backside of the thumb controller is a double FIZ control wheel.

17. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

yeah i saw it at NAB, but it's RedRockMicro... Not a reliable piece of kit. At least not in our experience.

18. Tanner Wilson

Tanner Wilson New Member

Been using our microFocus for 2+ years w/o a single problem. If it was reliable enough for the Mad Max crew and Hurlbut, it's reliable enough for us.

19. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

As mentioned, "not in our experience". Still, didn't stop us from getting in the queue when announced for when they release the first batch but I'm sceptic. Hoping to be proved wrong!

20. Steve Allanson

Steve Allanson New Member

Great Questions at the start of the thread. I'm particularly interested in the remote focus/iris side of things. Be great if somehow they interface with other units. Also, they have partnered nicely with Red on this, I wonder if there will be an "Arri Kit" option.(maybe Arri Remote Focus for instance), camera control etc. I would also like to see a smaller M5 type version of this come out. It's nice to have a built and ready rig with a good small camera to quickly get shots. With smaller rigs there is no requirement for gorilla upper body strength to hold longer shots