/dist/images/branding/favicon

Kinefinity Terra 6K

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Stefan Helborg, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

Is there anyone here who has experience with the Kinefinity Terra 6K ?

It is wery lightweight and sounds promising.

2. Robbert van Weelderen

It's not shipping internationally yet. I have a priority pre-order on the 6K which (according to the European distributor) should ship half November.

3. Stefan Helborg

Ok sounds good. It's the same sensor that sits in their KineMAX, so it could also be that there were some here who knew that version.

I've looked a little on it and it looks promising. Especially its weight of only 920 gr. I think, however, that its finish looks a bit poor. It is of course only pictures from their demo model, but something with an on/off switch that sits twisted, hdmi connector that sits slightly askew, etc.

The price is a bit like RED Raven but it may be that Terra is cheaper to get up and running, now the particular uses plain. ssd.

I could not lurk where I trigger it, but it must be through the CTRL connection on the front.

4. Robbert van Weelderen

To sum up the reasons I went with the Terra 6K (and sell my FS5 or go with the RED Raven):
    - Less weight and smaller so it's more versatile on the Movi M5 I have (more lens options while still being able to balance)
    - Incamera ProRes in all resolutions
    - Cheap SSD media
    - Built in HDMI on the body instead of having to buy a module for that
    - Great picture quality as the sensor is from the KineMax 6K which looks great to my eyes

Things that remain to be seen:
    - Will the build quality be the same as RED/Sony? KineMax and KineMini look fine too my eyes from the videos I've seen.
    - Support for the camera when something goes wrong. (Heard good stories in the Kinefinity FB group though).

Comparing the Raven versus the Terra, the Terra will definitely be quite a bit cheaper to run. The CTRL connection on the front is for active EF mount adapters when you choose to buy a Terra with the KineMOUNT instead of the build-in EF mount. If remote trigger is possible is unknown to me atm.

5. Stefan Helborg

Thank you for your thorough answer.

Yes it is pretty essential to me that I can remote trigger the camera.
    Do you know anything about its properties in low light?

6. Robbert van Weelderen

Maybe when the camera gets popular somebody will make a specialized cable for it which uses the contact points of the side grip that can be attached optionally. Low light properties seems to be quite good when looking at the KineMax material. At least on par with the Red Dragon sensor.