/dist/images/branding/favicon

New GoPro Hero 3

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Howard Dapp, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Live announcement in 30 mins. Rumored to have 4k 60p and RAW.

http://gopro.com/

Ok no 4k and no RAW:) but the cam is 30% smaller and more powerful than H2. Good cam for the FF mini-rotor.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I ordered the Black one on the day of the announcement, but I'm still waiting. I sent an email to them, and they said the next batch (including mine) should be shipping Nov 14.

In particular, one of the most interesting things is not only 1080/60P and 720/120P (wow!), but 2.7K (2716x1524) at 30P. At the 2.7K res, you can run AE or Motion stabilization and still have a full 1080P frame left over.

More details here, if you haven't seen it yet: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition

3. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Has anybody really tried the new go pro 3 out yet? So many advantages over a Canon 5D that it would be a no brainer if the image holds up. 1920 60P alone is huge, pro tune color space and the weight of this thing are all awesome. Canon 5D is great for shallow DOF (which we don't need for this application) not all that great for a lot of other things; weight, expense (risk), rolling shutter, codec. We are rigging it here this week to make our own assessment but what's the verdict out there?

Bob

4. Howard Dapp

Go Pro 3 will never be a replacement for the 5DII or III. I do agree that Canon need to step it up as far as its 60p offering through its lineup.

5. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Not at all saying that I'm dropping my 5D for a Gopro. (We have a Red, a C100, EX3 and 7D too) but each one fits it's application. Wondering how well the Gopro 3 fits this application. If it works better for what we need it that's a great thing. Not about which camera is better; which one is better for this application.

Bob

6. Howard Dapp

ah got it. Yes, for sure the Go Pro definitely has its place! I for one have a smaller quad that I use for flying the go pro 2 indoors and in very confined places. It cuts nicely with other footage when not shooting at it's widest setting.

7. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

We have 5 go pros already and the go pro 2's were good for a quick shot here and there when we wanted to put a camera in harms way. I'm really impressed with what the new go pro 3 can do on paper but I haven't pushed it yet in post. If the picture holds it could be a great advantage for what we do. The go pro 2 was not up to this level but maybe the 3 is. We'll see I guess.

Bob

8. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I just ordered one :)

9. Steve Maller

You'll not regret it. Did you order the Black Edition? That's the one with the real juice.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: Are you editing your GP3 on a Mac? In which case, are you using any plug-ins to process the footage? (I'm still on FCP 7 -- if it ain't broke don't upgrade to X!)

Andy.

11. Steve Maller

I use MPEG streamclip to transcode the GoPro footage to prores 422 LT. I'm using PAVtube to transcode my CX760 footage to ProRes. Then everything's kosher for FCP7.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think I saw some kind of GP3 plug-in out there that purports to correct for lens distortion....I'll see if I can find the link.
    Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Steve Maller

I use Magic Bullet Looks, which has a de-fish filter, along with a lot of other cool stuff.

14. Dragan Radoicic

Dragan Radoicic New Member

I use GoPro3 Black edition as secondary camera. It is mounted below my main camera. Flight times are still the same with or without it. If I do only stills I like to film everything with 2K video from GoPro. I must say it is impressive for its size. Here is a sample

15. Steve Maller

Dragan, that's very pretty! Is the GoPro mounted on the gimbal or straight to the frame? And are you running stabilizers of any kind (machines or post production)?

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Yeah Black edition, is there a shutter cable available for it yet? I heard the remote can be used up to 500 feet and you can also use a smart phone app with it.

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

So I gave the GP3 Black a go but here's my story.

I had a whole slew of problems with my first one that I ordered just before Christmas. After working with them on the phone collective opinion was it was a faulty camera. Was told we could cross ship and the replacement would go out Monday 12/24 Fedex 1 day. Total BS. Got my replacement yesterday, 10 days late. Was told it would be checked and ready to go. Turned it on and no 4K. Did a reload of the firmware. Got 4K back. This morning started some testing using the app on both my iPhone an iPad. Failures to connect, no preview, wouldn't start, all inconsistently consistent. Took a look at the support site and the list of issues is pretty long. Example is the one on Preview doesn't start https://gopro.zendesk.com/entries/22...w-never-starts Pretty lengthy list of reasons.

Called back in and was on hold for 79 minutes with tech support. Sending everything back. Just doesn't seem like all the bits and pieces/software are ready for prime time.

Images are outstanding but once I have it mounted I want to be able to start and stop recording without freezing, removing the battery, etc. If the app doesn't work the utility of remote control has no value. None of those problems with the Hero2.

Will try again in 6 months.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's really disappointing to hear, Gary. I've not had a chance to really exercise my GP3....I guess I better make the time while it's still under warranty! :)

Andy.

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Gary,

Im having major issues with mine too. Consistently Inconsistent. Many power issues it seems.

I did an install last night on a 4 day time-lapse and put the GoPro up as a secondary camera. Canon 7D is my primary. Left there at 3am.. everything fine. Came back this morning around 10 to find the Canon still clicking away with the GoPro stopping and freezing after 186 photos. I did a 4 day test with it and had no issues. I had a second black that I stuck up there. It doesnt have the firmware update but after a few hours it was still working.

Just filled out my list of issues with GoPro support. We shall see..

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Be firm but fair. They will have you try lots of fixes but each round can take another day. And they must be swamped with calls since wait times with 30 people in queue is running 80-120 minutes. Really hoping it is simply a software/firmware issue that can be rectified. But it needs to work as advertised with the extra functionality. 1080 at 60p was really great, when it worked.