/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shooting Backwards

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Joe Tamel, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed on another thread. Looking for advice on how to shoot a running shot with the camera around eye level and facing behind me. I did a shot like this holding the Movi over my right shoulder and having someone operate the joystick in dual mode. It worked out pretty well, just wondering if anyone has better ideas or a way to rig the M15 to do this shot. Thanks.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Joe, you could get two people to carry the Movi and run with it. One handle in each person's hand, they run side-by side. Then you use the joystick, Mimic, or geared wheel controller to do the pan and tilt.

Having longer handles, like the Walter Klassen or Cinema Oxide extension handles, would help get the Movi higher up in their hands.

I had thought of a way to rig a Movi facing backwards on a person using a Ready Rig vest, but it would take some time and doing, and would need help getting on and off. The Ready Rig has a cheese plate at the bottom, and you could use some grid clamps, 2 pieces of speed rail, and a speed rail corner to make an upside-down 'L' out of the speed rail and clamp it to the cheese plate. Ninja Star and Toad-in-the-hole at the tip of the upside-down L speed rail, and you can hang the Movi back there.

It'll be really unstable and you'll need to secure the shoulder straps better than normal. Most people run backwards if they can, use the two-person technique, or mount to a vehicle or golf cart of some kind.

Or, this is a Freefly Forum -- use an Alta drone!! :)

Joe Tamel and Lane Wooder like this.
  3. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Hey Graham, thanks for the reply. This particular shot was running full-speed through a corridor between two apartment buildings with no room for two people to carry the rig. The shot was for one of the most viewed shows on television and they have a no-drone policy as of right now. I'll check into the Ready Rig and will also try to devote some time to test other methods. I've been asked to do this shot by the same DP before, only up stairs and in tight spaces. So if I figure it out, they will use the rig more often for sure. They were pleased with what I got on the last shoot, but I know it can be better. I'll post pics of anything I come up with.

Joe

4. Graham Futerfas

I've found stairs are nearly impossible to go up backwards, and they're hard enough to go down backwards by myself.

Is it a flat surface? You could try a grip-made Rick-Shaw, which is basically two bicycle wheels and some speed rail, ideally with a wire-rope vibration isolator.

I think either way, this is going to be best done as a dual-operated shot.

Do you have time to test? Where are you located? If you're in Los Angeles, I have some things here you could try.

5. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

Graham the shoot has already happened and the DP operated the joystick while I ran with the rig. All were pleased with the result. After the fact, someone, as you did, said a rickshaw would have been a good option. Definitely something to think about for next time. And yes, the dual op thing was the best plan. I am in LA and if you ever want to explore new shot ideas, I'd be up for it if schedules could align. I have cranes that I'd like to experiment with mounting the movi on for possible car shots.

6. Graham Futerfas

This is like the third time someone has asked about doing a running shot like this, so I'm interested to tinker around with some ideas. Maybe I can contact you through your website -- I'm not sure how to Private Message on here.

7. Graham Futerfas

OK, I tinkered around with an idea to mount the Movi facing backwards. I can see all kinds of potential problems, 4th axis stability while running, etc... but I need help to test this out. I can't mount the Movi back there myself, and I'd need someone to operate the pan and tilt.

What could go wrong? o_O

IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0127.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

I wonder if you could take an EasyRig and turn it around, then connect long carbon fiber rods to the handles and point them forward so you can stabilize with your hands? And obviously have someone on the joystick...

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

I was trying to think along those lines too, with an Easy Rig and a Serene. I have Walter Klassen extension handles for the Movi, and that might help, but I think you'll still lose the shock absorption that your arms and elbows provide in the front.

I did a test this afternoon with the new Ready Rig extendable Pro Arms, which I just received yesterday, and I was able to 'Don Juan' over the shoulder, but it's a struggle to not pan over and see your shoulder in the shot every now and then. The extension handles are key to making this work, so your arms stay low and out of the way.

IMG_0132.PNG

Brett Lyall likes this.