/dist/images/branding/favicon

Akira 5.0.1

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Juan Lima, Jul 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Juan Lima

Juan Lima Member

Hi guys! Ready to upgrade to 5.0.1 Just waiting cause I have two big commercials this week.
    Want to know your impressions about this release prior to upgrade.
    By the way one of the commercial has a lot of POV shots so I made this gadget (pic). Some kind of Mimic POV viewfinder. I tried FVP glasses in the past but DPs don't feel comfortable with those so we are trying this.

Best

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Juan: My advice (which may be worth precisely what you're paying for it! :) ) is that, whatever you do, do NOT upgrade to new firmware before your two big commercials this week. Regardless of the state of Akira 5.0.1 (and as far as I know there are no major issues with it), it's just not worth the risk. Do the upgrade after the gigs when the pressure is off.

Make sure you have a copy of the prior version of the firmware and a MoVI jumper cable so that if things go awry, you can regress back to the prior firmware version.

This is not advice specific to MoVI -- it's just what I believe to be "best practice" when it comes to firmware (or software, for that matter) upgrades.

Hope this helps!
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

To add to what Andy said, if your MōVI is working, do not update yet. Give yourself a week (or more) of downtime to get used to the new firmware. There are a lot of new options, and your currently-saved configurations may not work, meaning you can count on doing extensive re-balancing and tuning. I've been where you are...and it can be a world of hurt.

That said, the Akira upgrade is well worth the time to get running. But make sure you have the time.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

Steve, what are your first impressions on the official Akira? How does it go now with the lightweight set-ups, is it still required to put some extra weight onto the M5? We are now able in Germany to fly without single permit up to 10kg - so Alta6 for smaller jobs now is possible.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

As per my advice, I have not yet changed the firmware on mine. I've been running the Beta version for quite some time, and it's great.

6. Dylan Glockler

Installed it earlier this week, had a test flight with the ALTA 6 with no issues. Did basic ground work tests, majestic and time-lapse with no issues. The only thing I've noticed is that when I connect the app while inverted, the motors experience about two seconds of erratic behavior before settling into normal operation.

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I've noticed the occasional 2-second Movi freak out when I connect the app, too. It's not every time I connect the app, but sometimes when I'm in the app, quit out to the desktop screen, and then re-start the app -- the Movi vibrates and oscillates for a few seconds when it connects. One of my grips was holding it the other day when I engaged the app, and it really startled him when the Movi went nuts.

Dylan Glockler likes this.
  8. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I upgraded mine into Akira and I am not happy with it. On my drone I have a perfectly balanced Red Epic and M10. I did the autotune on 75 per cent and I have very bad jitter problems that I did not have with the earlier firmware with the same setup.

The Movi also drifts a lot when the drone is waiting for takeoff. The Movi is on remote in this case. Not happy at all unfortunately.

9. Graham Futerfas

Hi Tuuka, you may need to work on your expert tuning, most likely, to get rid of these problems. Freefly's given us more control and tuning options, but they take a bit of work and trial and error. With new firmware, you'll probably need to go through all of your settings.

With your Autotune set pretty high at 75%, your Pan, Tilt, and Roll stiffness values are probably set very high, so you may try to manually individually decrease them a bit if they're buzzing and\or oscillating.

Your Output and Gyro filters may need adjusting, as well, depending if you're getting high frequency buzzing or low-frequency oscillations. With Output Filter set to 1 overall, you can adjust individual Pan, Tilt, and Roll values. If you change the Output filter # to a higher value, you lose individual control.

Here's a link to the Akira Manual, which details tuning procedures and expert controls, starting on page 18:

http://d27w8s76bjlz9v.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/29095401/Akira-Manual_B_011.pdf

What remote control are you using, that's giving you a lot of drift? Movi Controller? Mimic? I've always seen some slight drift from the Mimic, especially noticeable on longer lenses.

10. Graham Futerfas

I just noticed Freefly released a completely new video tutorial on tuning in Akira. Definitely worth checking out:

11. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Yes, was aware of this and did the tuning accordingly. Mine just kept jittering heavily even after perfect balancing and 70% autotune. I tried the filter values but all I got at any value was this fast jittering, not the slow one in the video with bigger filter values.

I am using a Futaba RC transmitter as the remote controller.

Downgraded FW and works much better now.

#11 Tuukka Ylonen, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016