/dist/images/branding/favicon

Steel boat

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Pete Maughan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Is it just a big fat no to take off from a steel hulled boat or is there a safe way to do it?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would calibrate the compass on land and use Motion Booting on the boat....but I'd use manual control for takeoff and departure until I was clear of the boat and also for approach and landing.

Unfortunately, depending on the steel, it's impossible to predict what the magnetic effect will be. Not all (stainless) steels are magnetic.

But "it should work" so not quite a big fat no. But I'd be very cautious and try and do a test flight without the gimbal and (presumably) expensive camera and glass dangling...

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Thanks Andy, some tentative testing required then.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd do the testing dock-side so at the first sign of trouble you can wave off a landing and land on land (so to speak).
    Are you going to do an air-catch landing? (Just curious...)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Yes that's what i'm thinking or maybe just take off from boat and fly over to some land before trying out other modes. Was hoping to avoid hand catch, we're up in the Arctic and it's really still in the evenings on a 100' yacht so I think landing should be ok. Just worried about effects of the steel hull/deck.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh boy, if you're in the Arctic, you've got other problems.
    Check out section 4.5.3 of http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0010976 which talks about compass errors north of 70 degrees.

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

I'd looked into that and I'm just below 70 so I think I'll be ok, but it's certainly another thing to take into account along with reduced GPS sats.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Are you taking a battery warmer system, Pete?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

It's 20c up here!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh...I should have said "battery cooler system" (also useful for beer)?

Andy.