/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can't connect to any radian via usb cable

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Morgan Friedland, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Morgan Friedland

I have been trying to upgrade the Radians with the latest firmware and have not been able to connect at all. I tried with 3 different PCs and a Windows 7 VM using Fusion 5 on MacBook. I have tried the radian software as well as the firmware utility. Both programs are connecting on Port 10 which I confirmed is up and running with standard COM Port settings (9600, 8,N,1,off)

The drivers are up to date and are the same ones I had on my laptop that used to work. I checked continuity on the FF Supplied cable so I know the pins work. The cable is connected to the USB adapter as per the Radian manual (Black/Brown to the right or flush mounted to the side when green light is facing you) The cable is also plugged into the Radian correctly with the negative to the right and signals on pins 5 and 6.

I have change the COM Port to 8 and 9 and tried to no avail. I can put the devices into boot loader mode but still can't communicate with the boot loader program. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 7 just to make sure. Currently, the Radians are at version 1.00.

The radians do work when powered up, just can't talk to them.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Morgan Friedland

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Morgan:
    It sounds more like a problem with the COM port and/or VMWare -- I had a bunch of trouble with the USB/COM ports under VMWare, so I switched to using Bootcamp. But before you do that, can you try running the MK Tool/MK USB loopback test described on my DVD please? That will tell you straight away if the Virtual COM port driver is working correctly. You could also try using MK Tool to communicate with the MK NC or FC board, but that just adds extra hardware into the equation -- hence the best thing is the loop-back test.

Let me know if you can get the loop back test to work.
    Andy.

3. Morgan Friedland

Hi Andy. I wish it were so but I keep a couple Sony Vaio laptops with Windows 7 just for the Drones. Using VMWare fusion was a last ditch attempt to get things working.

MKTools works perfectly and so does the loopback. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Other things I tried...

Swapping out the USB cable
    Tried different USB ports
    Boot into safe mode
    Older version of Radian software (v1.0 and v1.1)
    Unplugged all servo cables from Radian except for Power.
    Tried regulated power supply to Radian.
    Shake rain stick and dance around bon fire while basting The Doors. (ok, actually didn't try that)

I'm stumped but will keep plugging away. This is strange because I never had any problem connecting to these things. The only thing I haven't changed out is the USB to Serial adapter and servo cable from Free Fly. has anyone ever reported a problem with their adapter cable and had to replace it? If so, where did you source it?

Anyone in Seattle area have a working PC with Radian adapter that I could borrow for 10 minutes? Of course I would come to you whenever it is most convenient.

Morgan (on Mercer Island)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Sounds like you've eliminated the PC/USB/Virtual Com port part of the data path.
    The only common part is the Radian Adapter board it sounds like -- I've not seen anyone reporting problems with that, but I suppose it's conceivable that it's bricked. The only source for those is QC, I believe.
    So the next best thing (assuming nobody else is in your neck of the wood responds) will be to call QC.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Andy.

5. olli collins

olli collins New Member

I also can't connect to usb? i have just bought the 2 axis gimbal and radian so am still trying to set it up but the computer doesn't see the usb. when i plug in the lead with adapter i get this message
    Error opening comms port 10: invalid port number

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Which operating system are you running, Olli?
    Have you installed the virtual com port drivers? If you go in to the Device Manager, you must see a USB Serial Device under COM & LPT. If you don't then that's the problem.

You get the virtual com port drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm if you are running Windows XP.
    Windows 7 and 8 will automatically download them if your machine is connected to the Internet.

Andy.

7. olli collins

olli collins New Member

under (Coms & LPT) i see USB serial port(com10) Working properly. but software still wont connect is there a certasin way to plug the other end of the USB adapter into the servo lead that goes into radian? it has 2 rows of three pins

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks Olli:
    Sounds like you do have the COM port end ready.
    The red and orange wires closest to the label of the Radian. Black wire furthest from the label. Red wire should go on "top" pin (port 6).

Andy.

9. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Thanks andy i'll give it a try when i get in from work
    thanks again for your help

10. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Morgan, Just in case you missed it I sent you a private message

Tabb

11. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Ok Comm port is ok, and i was using the lead from the usb serial adapter thing the wrong way around and upside down. Could i have damaged it? It still won't connect to software. it has a solid green light on the serial adapter thing and when i click the connect button on the software i get a very brief orange light but just one flash and still no connection?

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Olli, I am going to respond to your thread here rather then over on multi rotor forum. I can't keep 2 of them straight in my mind. If the BEC is getting hot then something is wrong. Please confirm that the BEC is indeed outputting 5V? Neither the Servo nor the BEC should get hot.​

Possible for you to take a video of you setup so we can see what is going on??​
    Thanks!​
    Tabb​

13. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Hi Tabb

Here's a video i shot today of the set up and the servo heating up. not sure why when i powered it up today everything is tilting off centre was level last night. Also even with no load and no belt on the servo heats up.

Servo Video.
    https://vimeo.com/the11littlefilms/review/56468218/180a849082

Also here is video of the USB adapter that still wont connect to software
    https://vimeo.com/the11littlefilms/review/56468656/64d5d21c40

Thanks for your help
    Olli

14. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Olli, Ok just watched the videos.

1. The roll is acting OK, it just needs some mass attached to the gimbal. You notice when you hold it firmly in your hand it behaves, but when you let the top roll bar swing freely it oscillates. This is because the gimbal needs some mass to try and stabilize against. If you imagine a stabilized gimbal hanging from a string you will understand what I mean. You need to mount it up to your craft and get the camera on there and start tuning it up.

2. When you say the servo is 'hot' does that mean too hot to touch? It looks to be acting OK in the video so I am not quite sure what that might be? Do you have a volt meter that you can confirm the BEC is putting out 5V? I have had several BECs fail and put out the full voltage from a 3s pack.

3. I am not sure on the USB cable, it looks like you have it all connected correctly. Let me think about that issue.

Thanks for the video! So helpful in troubleshooting!

Tabb

15. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Hi Tabb

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.

1. i'll load it up see how it behaves. Even with camera on before the roll is not smooth like the tilt and much more aggressive. Maybe this is a gain thing? but i can't tell until i get usb to play nice with my laptop.

2. when say hot i mean after 3 minutes you cant touch it hot. can't be right the other servo i fine not even warm. I checked the bec with my multi metre it's outputting 5.3v there is a switch that can switch it to 6v and that is 6.06v.

3. Could me trying lead the other way around have damaged the usb adapter?

Can i order free fly servos and usb adapters in the anywhere in uk?

16. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Olli,

1. If the servo is getting that hot I would not use it anymore. I think it is on the way to the grave. Certainly the gain on roll will need some tuning but it should not be getting hot like that. I am concerned that it might also ruin your BEC if we abuse it too much with the bad servo.
    3. I dont think flipping the lead on the USB would have damaged anything? I am guessing that this is a COM/FTDI issue. Most of the time I have an issue it can be traced back to that.

17. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Thanks for all your help tabb, I'll pull that servo out see if I can find a new one. Maybe Geoff at Quadcopters uk can help me that's where I bought the gimbal.

I'll try a different pc too. My little netbook is only running windows starter maybe that's it ? Why is no multirotor related software for Mac OS? :(

Thanks again
    Olli

18. tarek

tarek New Member

my computer is having the same connection problem to the radian and i cant figure it out either i tried two computers :(

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tarek: I've responded to your posting on the other thread.
    Andy.

20. Morgan Friedland

I sourced a new Radian USB adapter adapter and can now connect just fine to at least one of the radians. I'm wondering if I fried it somehow....:eek:

All is well and my radians will be upgraded tonight.

Morgan