/dist/images/branding/favicon

Futaba 14SG for ALTA?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Steve Maller, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, sorry....typo in my post: R7008SB receivers!

Andy.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I am told that the latest firmware for the 14SG has a model type of "Multirotor" that makes setting up an ALTA easier. But I can strongly recommend buying it from Freefly along with your ALTA so they can configure it. Taking delivery of ALTA #1 they didn't have some of that stuff ready, so I had to go get my own radio. It's due to arrive today, so hopefully I can get it configured and get my machine in the air soon!

3. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

The 14sg utilizes a SD card for model memory so Freefly should be able to post a config file for the ALTA that users could put on a SD card and then just pop that into the radio.

Klaus Friedrich likes this.
  4. Steve Maller

Yes indeed that was my hope. But they're stretched a little thin right now with trying to get everybody their ALTA orders. They did help out with a couple things, and I figured the rest out on my own. That's probably why they let me do this early...they knew I could be moderately self-sufficient. But they'll get all this sorted out soon as the ALTAs start to hit the market.

5. Mark Hoffman

Mark Hoffman Active Member

I can also understand the position that if you (not you Steve but others) can't figure out configuring your radio that the ALTA might not be the best choice and a flyer should get more experience before attempting a ship like the ALTA. In other words, Freefly might be wise not to make it to easy like some of their competitors.

6. We are working on getting the file available for everyone. :) Sorry for the delay. In the meantime, if you need assistance, please email support@freeflysystems.com.

Cheers!
    Denise

7. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

I already run the 14SG. Do I need to buy 2 x R7008SB receivers, or can I run 2 x R6303SB as they are both SBUS?

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

George the R7008SB is a FAASTest RX which allows telemetry to the 14SG. The R6303SB should work but no telemetry to the 14SG screen.

9. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Thanks Gary! Has anyone else had their ALTA ship yet?

10. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Apart from Steve I mean!

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds like Steve is The One. :)
    Andy.

12. Steve Maller

Call me Neo.

13. Todd Hillhouse

Todd Hillhouse New Member

I just installed the second R7008SB receiver. I had a 14sg and single reciever left from an old build This is my first with dual recievers. I purchased a second one and it appears to not be binding as easy.

I go to link on the 14sg transmitter hold it fairly close and I can only get one of my receivers to go green. The 2nd reciever on the alta remains red as if it didn't link. Any suggestions?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

15. Fabien Deregel

Hi,
    in order to have Dual receivers, there are 2 methods depending of the transmission protocol ( FASST / FASSTest) :

1) you are using FASST receivers ( not FASSTest), in that case, you need to be in FASST Multi, and you can link 2 receivers very easy just by pressing the link button on the receivers when the transmitter is on.

2) You are using FASSTest receivers, in that case, you need to be in FASSTest 14 channels mode on the transmitter, then you need to activate the function in the transmitter and move from SINGLE to DUAL, then process the LINK procedure for each receiver as per instructions in the manual : http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/14sg-manual.pdf

Telemetry can be also setup with Dual receiver ( detailed in the manual also)

Do not hesitate to ask if you encounter any difficulty,

Best regards,

Fabien

16. Christopher Vasquez

Christopher Vasquez New Member

Hello,

I have two questions on the 14SG setup; I have an Alta with an M5 and the Futaba 14SG, and am wondering-

1) what the responses should look like in the Alta app as one moves the Futaba controller and
    2) what channel setup and mapping should read on the 14SG. Do the names matter, like Aux 8, etc?

A video or series of images of someone moving their Futaba controls next to an open Alta app on the controls page would be helpful!

Many thanks!

Glad to join the Alta team!

Chris

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris:
    The responses that you should see in the app are described on page 40 of the ALTA 6 manual, and the channel mappings are in the ALTA manual on page 41.

EDIT: Page 41 and 42 of the ALTA 8 manual.

Post again if this does not answer your questions.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

18. Christopher Vasquez

Andy,

Thank you, with regard to Alta assignments on page 40/41, what I would love to be able to confirm are the Futaba settings: Channel:Assign:Switch. 1-4 felt intuitive, however on 5-9 it would be nice to see what you pros are setting in. SB, SD etc.

Then after these are programmed into the Futaba, what should I see on the App as I try out controls 1-9, namely, where should the default be as I power the system on for flight.

I'm sure this is 2nd nature for you! I like to confirm.

Chris

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you're asking which switches are assigned to what function, I think most folks use the standard FF configuration file. Did you get the Futaba transmitter from FF? If so, it should be already configured with an appropriate "model file." EDIT: If you purchased the Futaba separately, the attachment is the model file that FF uses.

See also the Futaba guide that I wrote here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/rather-good-guide®-to-installing-and-configuring-the-futaba-radio-on-the-alta-6-and-8.7821/ -- this will also tell you how to configure the Futaba and load model files.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Attached Files:

20. Christopher Vasquez

Andy,

That should help a bunch- thank you!

Chris