/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sneak Peek: FAA part 107 Regulations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

With tip of the hat to Scott "Hawkeye" Strimple for noticing this:

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/06/par...ems-suas-summary-major-provisions-14-cfr-107/

No big bad surprises compared to the NPRM. Interesting that FPV is permitted but provided that see-and-avoid is attained by other means (e.g. Visual Observer).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It'll be interesting to see how the testing infrastructure is implemented. What I've heard is that the tests should be available within 60 days of the announcement.

I'm very grateful to all those who have participated in this very lengthy process (including you, @Andy Johnson-Laird) and I hope this ushers in a new, positive era in unmanned flight.

Matt Beardsley likes this.
  3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, we've got a ways to go yet, Steve insofar as Part 107 will not cover:

1. Commercial flight operations over people.
    2. Extended and Beyond Visual Line of Sight (EVLOS/BVLOS) flight operations.

But the FAA's taking the first step.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. This looks like it might be the on-line version of the pilot knowledge examination:

https://beta.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?pf=1&preview=true&cID=1461

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

5. Steve Maller

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Funny you should mention it, but the first question in the FAA knowledge test is:

1. Can you find the rest of the knowledge test?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Matt Beardsley likes this.
  7. Steve Maller

Sigh.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Part 107 regulations are now published.
    Summary at http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

They go into effect on August 16, 2016 (which is warp speed for the FAA).

Full part 107 is at http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf : note that this document is 624 pages long. The actual part 107 starts at page 596. The first 595 pages are discussion of NPRM comments and justification for why Part 107 is the way it is.

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Steve Maller

Thank you, Andy. Any indications from the press conference/announcement as to when they'll make study materials and more information about the test available? Is that what's rolling out on Aug 16? I think I'll get my beach chair and go get in line outside the local flight school the night before. :)

10. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Forgive me, as I don't speak legalese, but are there provisions for flying above 400 feet and/or at night?

11. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

No.

12. Steve Maller

I beg to differ. It seems from the official FAA docs that with respect to the aforementioned restrictions... "Most of the restrictions discussed above are waivable if the applicant demonstrates that his or her operation can safely be conducted under the terms of a certificate of waiver."

13. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Guess that remains to be seen, from what the FAA has told me night operations will still not be "legal". Every FAA person you speak to however has given a different answer even if they haven't been asked a question. Strange.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've not seen anything specific on study materials and the availability of the test. I'd be more tempted to take the test on line, and that's even in spite of my innate British desire to want to queue up for something, anything....

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Steve Maller

It appears the online test will only be available to current pilot's license holders, right? The great unwashed masses (of which I am a card-carrying member) will have to take the test at a physical location. Fortunately it seems there are two quite close to me (Palo Alto Airport).

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're right. I guess I'll need to buy a beach chair too (my PPL is not current). Nearest FSDO is about 13 miles from me.
    Suggest you remove your headgear before showing up at the FAA. They might not get it. :rolleyes:

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

It will be interesting to see how they make you take the "written" and if they make you go to an FAA approved center to do so. Also, if the test is anything like the current pilots written, the questions are constantly changing.

18. Steve Maller

The rule seems pretty clear on this account. And if they don't change the questions every so often, it isn't worth administering a test, now, is it? I mean that's grade school stuff.

I'd say that given the speed at which all this is changing and the massive diversity of applications out there, those of us who just want to make movies with our UAVs got a pretty good deal. Certainly compared to how it's been for the last few years.

That said, if I'd gone to the trouble to get a PPL in the last few months and gone through the morass that is the 333 process, I'd be less than thrilled right now.

19. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

I did get my PPL last year and I think in some places like LA the PPL may still be required when it comes to the permit offices. Also, it seems the 333 may still be needed for some work such as closed-set filming.

The more that can be done to weed out the riffraff the better.

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah a new acronym from the FAA. Certificate of Waiver. Or as Bart Simpson predicted "Don't have a COW get an FAA COW."

MIke Magee likes this.