/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian stabilization maximum voltage

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Nico Turini, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Hi,

In order to use other servos than original Savox (better torque value for bigger cameras), does anybody could give the maximum voltage that the radian can manage?

Thanks !

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I'm interested in this answer as well. We're currently using MKS HV787 servos which I do like a lot. Very fast @ .04 sec/60° at 6V and very strong @ 6.85kg torque. Can't say that I have any backlash problems. Can go up to 7.4v for a little faster speeds as well. Operating frequency is 333hz, not sure if this would be a factor since FF's servos operate at 400hz I believe.

Howard

3. John Cunningham

Hey guys,

The Radian modules are fine for anything up to 12 volts.

They will take up to 30 volts for a brief spell without damage, but don't run them at that because they will eventually burn out !.

You can also lower the PWM frequency with the PC app if your servos won't take 400Hz. The next one down is 200Hz.

JohnC

4. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Thanks for answer John!

Do you have any idea about a good choice for our purpose : using Sony FS100 or FS700 on the cinestar 360 gimbal (the weight of the camera is about 1,7Kg).

We have noticed that with the original Savox, the axis are becoming a little bit loose after some hours of use. And with to much torque we have some little "bounces" on the tilt and roll (due to the fact that they are loose?). We were thinking about Futaba BLS 152 (0.14 sec/60° and 31.0Kg/cm at 6V), or even Futaba BLS157HV (0.11 sec/60° and 37.0Kg/cm at 7.4V).
    (For people interested, you can see some specs here :http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/brushless.html).

If you have any advice to improve the cinestar gimbal, and with compatibility with the future Radian, it could be really nice ;)

5. John Cunningham

Well, Tabbs the man doing the most testing with different equipment like servos. I'm just the electronics/software guy.

I know from trials that their performance varies a lot from servo to servo : sometimes the fastest, most expensive are so highly tuned with a non-linear response that they doesn't work well on a gimbal. The freefly servos where the best of the ones we tried for medium cameras.

I think that once the rush around the Radian launch is behind us, we will be able to collate data on which servos are best. Obviously there are so many that we can't try them all ourselves. We'll put information like that up in this forum for other people to benefit from.

JohnC

6. Howard Dapp

I'd be interested in feedback in regards to the MKS HV787 and Radian trials since this servo's specs are not too far off from FF's.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Guys, I have an entire BIN full of servos we tested with the radian...the end result was that nothing tunes up like the Freefly servos. The MKS 787HV were terrible, we could not even get them close to the performance of the FF servos.

Unless you are prepared to dump a huge pile of cash and waste a lot of time modifying servos for 360 to try and squeak a little more performance out of the system I would recommend you stick with the FF servos and run them at 5V.

Tabb

8. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi La Turbine, I am running the FF servos with the FS100 and no problems. If you have the original SAVOX servos we used on the mounts prior to creating the FF servo I would recommend you upgrade. The FF servos tune up much better with the Radian.

Tabb

9. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hi Tabb,
    You recommend to run these servos at 5V instead of 6V...?
    I think you have tested but is there a special raison ?

All the best.
    Marc.:cool:

10. Howard Dapp

FF servos it is.

That's the safe bet and guarantees great results. Not sure if it has been noted already but maybe Quadrocopter's online shop should specifically recommend Radian be used exclusively with FF servos for optimal performance.

11. Brian Bills

Brian Bills New Member

I second what Tabb said. I've tried the spektrum 6040s, savox, hitec, and even Futaba servos before I just broke down and purchased a set of FF servos. These things work wonders with the radian stabilization. Don't waist your time with anything else for now.

And these little gems are amazing;-)

12. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Just a report for other people, we second that too : we have here a set of 2 old Savox servos (a little bit loose after a lot of regular use + different tryings with the PH Skyline products), and after updating the 2xCS gimbal some months ago for the Pan Axis, we have received a FF servos on it. A quick test with this fresh one putted on the tilt axis for example, gives better results (no bounces).

A test with Futaba BLS 152 was not so good, too bad...

We will make the upgrade with new FF servos on all axis !