/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALta & 3D Full Spherical 360 Video Gear

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by MIke Magee, Sep 15, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yeah I have the same concerns, although freefly have strongly advised against hand launching and retrieving. I guess it's between an RBT and a possible RRBT (really really bad thing). Haven't done a hand launch and retrieve with the Alta yet. Any tips or advice? I suspect we will have already done the job by the time there is a reply here, so stay posted to see if any BTs occur.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Notwithstanding my joke above, I really DO NOT recommend doing hand launches and landings -- they are very risky -- but I've had to do them in the past.

Make sure your assistant is wearing safety goggles and good strong gloves and that their arms are not exposed. A padded jacket would be ideal. Have the collar turned up to provide additional protection for their face and neck.

For take-off, make sure that the assistant is facing you and supporting the ALTA above their head, and that they give the signal to start the motors, not you the pilot. They need to be briefed that they are supporting the ALTA above their head, not "holding it down." So when the ALTA is ready to fly (they will feel the weight of the ALTA disappear) it should rise up on its own. Do an "expedited" climb up and to one side of them to get the aircraft clear of them as fast as you can consistent with safety -- agree with your assistant which side the ALTA will go (and preferably not behind them) and make sure they understand and what's going to happen.

For landings, have your assistant standing about 15 to 20 feet away from where you intend to hover the ALTA at about 10 feet above ground.
    Only then then have the assistant walk out under the aircraft watching the ALTA carefully as they do -- if it starts to descend have the assistant "wave you off" -- climb back up and repeat the approach to the hover.

Gradually reduce power so the ALTA descends slowly - have your assistant reach up high with elbows straight and grab the inboard sections of two opposite booms (grabbing the MōVI is dangerous as it can move). Grab them tight and lock their elbows to help support the weight of the ALTA. Once you see them do that -- and they should be facing you so you can see them nod "OK" to indicate that they have a positive grip. Then stop the motors. Your assistant MUST remain with their arms raised and the ALTA over their heads until the props are motionless.

Be sure to brief your assistant on the process -- I'd even have them rehearse the moves with a powered off/battery disconnected ALTA. The assistant needs to know what it feels like to have the ALTA held above their heads.

Just to repeat -- this is risky. You can mitigate the risks only by working together with your assistant, rehearsing and, being prepared to abort the takeoff or landing at the FIRST sign of trouble -- anything unexpected (wind gust, something distracting).

You do this at your own risk (and that of your assistant) -- so be careful please!

Other forum members may have figured out alternative and safer approaches (apart from not doing it all!)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thankyou for the super fast reply Andy. I will let you know how we go.
    Thanks again. You're a legend.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I wish I were a legend. A legend in my own mind, at least. :)
    Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

alex ryan likes this.
  5. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

So we did the shoot today. Went well. Did a hand launch and retrieval which went very smoothly (pic attached of my assistant during the dress rehearsal).
    got 22 minutes of flight using 12000mah packs. Packs were at 22.55v (no load) after landing. We ended up using a 2 go pro rig with custom lenses.
    I was mostly flying in height mode. We tried position mode for a fast decent straight down from max height and it got a bit wobbly so avoided position mode for the rest of the flight. Next time will have to lower the stiffness/hold settings when flying such a pendulumous (dont think thats a real word) pay load.
    Apart from that the Alta dealt with this elongated payload very well. The flight characteristics didn't feel any different to flying with the Movi attached.

Attached Files:

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear everything went safely -- I wasn't sure whether the long vertical post below the ALTA was strong enough and securely enough mounted to be used as a "grab handle" but evidently it was.

The good news is that the ALTA doesn't "know" what is attached other than in the total mass, the balance, and the amount of inertia and momentum that that mass has.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy you missed the part about a helmet but Alex's catcher didn't forget...

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....I thought that was a Maller-style Quadcopter-Hat....

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

The pole actually worked really well as a grab handle. We weren't sure it would either, but we gave it a go during the dress rehearsal and it was rock solid.

10. seanmiller

seanmiller New Member

I never knew this can be possible with performing a 360 camera effect. Cool!