/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connex users that take still pictures get in here please

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

There seems to be an issue with Connex with DSLR's taking stills as the picture blanks out as much as 8 seconds. I'm using a Canon 5D and get an 8 second delay which virtually makes this setup completely useless. I can't go back to an analog system for just stills because I need the connex for video jobs.

Anyone else getting the same results? Has anyone been able to reduce the delay?

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Dave,

That issue is with the HDMI output of 5D. Everytime you shoot a picture, image output from HDMI is reset. Thus, Connex has to make a connection again.

We have recently migrated to A7R-II for stills.

We have to keep using our analog output of 5D with a standard SD downlink if a customer asks for 5D.

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

we have the same issue but we dont use Connex, with the 5dmk11 digital av/out is only 1sec. Switch to hdmi cable is up to 4sec second delay.

The new cannon 5dsr we bought has only the hdmi out, doing panoramas is with that camera takes a while :(

by the way does anyone know how to get full screen using the hdmi cable for stills?? When i switch it to movie mode its full, but still i only get half size for stills. Its quite annoying i am missing something??

4. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Jason: Are you only getting the 1/2 size while you are in live view or for the photo review after you take the photo (or both)?

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Guys when I hook up the Small HD monitor directly the 5D I see only about 3/4 of a second blank out. With the Connex I see 8 seconds. When I email Connex they say their HD system is not setup for pictures and that the majority of users are not taking pictures they are taking video. They say the vast majority of UAV users take video. Connex says that they have recognized the issue but they also said they are not getting any other complaints about this issue so its not a priority to them.

While I am not looking for perfection, I think it should be very doable to obtain a 3 second blank out period. I think that is a very reasonable request for a $1500 system. If you agree, and you would like to let Connex know that you are also a user that takes pictures with the same issues please email support@connexuav.zendesk.com and let them know.

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Micheal its only 1/2 or 3/4 view in live view with the hdmi cable. I never check the photo review via the hdmi cable I always pull the camera out to review my work. I can check the photo review later via the hdmi cable if you have an idea??

7. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Same thing happening with ours and has made it unusable with stills...

8. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

I am using my connex to monitor a GoPro hero 4 shooting through a 3d printed adapter that is looking down onto the groundglass of a hasselblad H5D. Even with this setup I get a signal loss for a moment (maybe 1/2 second at most) when the mirror of the hasselblad flips up. I think that the connex has something in the software that makes it think the signal has been lost when the frame turns fully black.

It's not nearly as bad as you guys are describing, but still not perfect. It does make me think that there should be some kind of software workaround that they could do to stop the connex from losing signal when it sees black though.

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Wow, Rube Goldberg would be proud! :)
    The Hassy doesn't have a HDMI or other way of remote monitoring/tethering?
    Wow...

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And bonus points for having the cajones to fly an H5D!
    I have the same model of Hassie, but I'm not courageous enough to want to look at it as a tiny dot in the sky.... :)
    What lens do you typically fly, Mike?

And for the British contingent of forum members: Rube Goldberg is the functional equivalent of Heath Robinson.

Andy

----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

11. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

@Steve Maller The new H6D does have HDMI out, and shoots 4K RAW in medium format. Hopefully we will get our hands on one soon. I knew that they would have one with HDMI come out as soon as I perfected my gopro setup!

@Andy Johnson-Laird @Tabb Firchau was the first to do it back when we made "Watermark" in 2011/12, I'm just following in his footsteps. The photographer I work with, Ed Burtynsky, has one of the hasselblad 50mm's that is locked to infinity, but we have also just started using the 100mm to do some 100+ photo panoramas while we were in Nigeria a couple weeks ago. Its pretty amazing that with the Alta and M15 we have been able to keep the ISO at 100 and shoot as slow as 1/100 with pin sharp images.

If you decide to take a shot with it in the air just let me know and I will send you one of my spare gopro mounts that you can put onto the waist level finder with the diopter removed. Right now you lose the ability to use the full cage on the movi, but V2 is going to have a 1/4 20 worked in so that I can get the gains moved back up.

We are currently waiting on permission to fly in Kenya, but once we get it and have the rig built up again I will post a few pictures of how it looks.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ed Burtynski? OK. I'm now officially impressed. And now I understand why you're "Hassie Hauling" with the ALTA.

Appreciate the offer of the GoPro mount, but I think I'll keep my Hassie on its salon tripod in my studio. Although that said, I'm tempted to upgrade to the H6D 100 mp....but I'll let some other folks shake it down and get the bugs out of Phocus first! :) If I do upgrade, I might then fly the Hassie H5D....

(Small world: A young lady by the name of Toby interned with Ed several years back -- she grew up in the house next door to us! Her parents are friends of ours as is she.)

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert