/dist/images/branding/favicon

Disappointed!!!

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Roger Fosaas, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Roger Fosaas

Roger Fosaas New Member

Is very dissatisfied with ALTA 6.
    Do not think AT 8 is better, like that except that it can lift a few grams more.
    Going to buy a Hammer X8 or similar next time.

2. Walter Brokx

Walter Brokx New Member

Please eloborate on this.
    Not just because I'm always curious, but also for other readers/users. :p

Chris Harrison likes this.
  3. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Just to be clear on the maximum AUW specs of the ALTA 8 vs ALTA 6:

ALTA 6: 13,607.8g (13.6Kg)
    ALTA 8: 18,143.7g (18.14kg)

So the ALTA 8 can lift 4,535.92g more than the ALTA 6.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Brian. 4,535 is certainly a few grams more. :rolleyes:

Andy.

5. Sedina Jaromir

Sedina Jaromir New Member

Well let's be clear and realistic.
    Just comeback from testing field and have all weights here on list.
    We fly from my POV, minimalistic professional set up.
    Red Epic with Zeiss T2.1, filter has been fix by tape /not professional at all/ batt. for M10 and Epic on Alta 6 with 2x10Ah, Connex transmitter for camera and DJI transmitter for FPV.
    Our take of weight 13,5kg. That means, we are on maximal payload and every flight balancing on very sharp blade.
    Now focus on Alta 8. As mentioned difference 4,5Kg.
    You gonna need 16Ah batt. difference 1.3Kg. You have left 3.2Kg. Copter weight difference assum at least 0.6Kg /bigger frame, 2x motors, 2x arms, 2x regulators, cables etc.../ You have left 2.6Kg. We all wanna use better lenses. Let's talk Cooke S4 difference 1.3Kg at least. You have left 1.3Kg. Little mattebox with filter at least 0.3Kg. Focus control at least 0.3Kg. And here we are 0.7 Kg from max. payload.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm love my Alta 6 and consider to buy Alta 8.
    As well I'm one from first who bought M10 /now own M5, 3xM10, M15, Movi controller, Mimic and Alta6/. But really, I'm not sure if 7.000USD price difference is worth to get copter which you gonna again fly so close to max. payload limit.

Roger Fosaas likes this.
  6. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

"You gonna need 16Ah batt. difference 1.3Kg."
    You don't need to fly 16amp packs. Our ALTA 8 hums with 2x 10000 with 14-15 minute flights with our RED on the M15.
    I think the price difference is $5500. Not sure what else I would go for in this price range at this performance.

Best,
    Jeff

7. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Thanks Jeff, thats really interesting.

We have the Alta 8 ordered (to go with out Alta 6).

What specifically are you flying with your Red? (Lens, Lens Mount, Camera Battery etc)

Been really happy with the Alta 6 and Canon Mount Lenses on Dragon. Looking forward to offering our clients some alternative lens options, but not wanting to loose too much flight time, or spend a fortune on new batteries.

8. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

We have an EF mount so I have lifted a Canon 14, 24, 35, 16-35, and 24-105. I'm also looking forward to heavier glass as per client requests. But honestly (between operators) for daylight flights at f11ish can you tell the difference between a Canon prime and a 4.5lb Optimo?

What's really exciting is the Red Weapon chassis that shaves off another 1.5 pounds.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  9. Ben Ruffell

Sounds like we are on the same page.

Leica R with a Canon Mount are my go to lenses.

Most exciting thing for me, is being able to put a lens motor on for iris changes. Waiting patiently for the new Hocus Products lightweight one to be released.

Agree with the Weapon weight... but that is a lot of money to have in the air!

Cheers,

10. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Canon EF glass (minus tilt shift) with a Gentled Cable let's you run Iris remotely with RED. However the 3rd channel for Redmote user keys do not work with the new Weapon. The Weapon does not offer Redmote and the user keys from the Redmote do not map to the Sidekick.

Cheers,
    Jeff

11. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Just a couple side notes: we are flying the CF Weapon and unfortunately its not really a 1.5lbs difference compared to the Dragon. If you just take the bare Weapon brain, sure it is - but you wont even have a SDI out, meaning not a camera that could actually be used for any aerial work ;)
    Once you add the Base Expander (http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc2-base-expander) you are adding another 0.5lbs, add the Lemo adapter (http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc2-lemo-adaptor-a) or Woodencamera top plate and the difference is less than 1lbs. Its still amazing - don't get me wrong. I just think the number of 3.5lbs for the Weapon body is a bit misleading.

RE: Redmote. The Sidekick is amazing to change simple settings like framerate, ISO etc. in between take-offs. For everything else the Foolcontrol with the new built in Wifi is pretty amazing. And keep in mind with RT Motions Latitude you will have a 1.5km range which should be more than plenty. Finally time to retire this damn Redmote ;)

12. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hey Ben, have you had any definitive info that Hocus products will be releasing a new lightweight Axis 1 or similar?

Cheers

13. Ben Ruffell

Hi Neil,

It's coming out very, very soon... and it looks to be perfect for aerial and Movi use.

14. Olly Meacock

Olly Meacock New Member

i second that...lots of weight saving to be had...perhaps the Alta 6 isn't so bad after all :)

15. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I've been testing one for a couple of months and it is incredible. It's really sleek and lightweight.

16. Jay Pearl

Jay Pearl New Member

Hi Guys,
    Can you tell me what is yours camera setup weight without gimbal for red+lens?

17. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

I think Hocus will announce something today glad I waited & did't buy the Axis 1 :). On another subject, Olly Meacock do you have your Scarlet W? Just wondering whether they have hit the UK yet

18. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

19. Olly Meacock

Olly Meacock New Member

Hi Neil, not in hand unfortunately yet ...but i'm looking at an allocation before NAB as i switched from a Raven pre-order based on info from Jared's post on Red User and my Red rep. Seriously hanging in there and trying to not spend the cash :confused: