/dist/images/branding/favicon

stabilization problems in flight with the movi m5 and sony A7s 2

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chris Monberg, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Chris Monberg

Chris Monberg New Member

Hi
    were having stabilization issues mostly in forward flight..... please look at the sample footage and let us know your thoughts..... any help would be great.... We have spent a couple day trying different settings and stiffness, auto tune 50% and 70% we went into expert mode and tried a few things that we read on the post.... gyro filter and hold tilt strength etc.... we are on 4.02 and the latest version of the app. 1.630 were flying a x8 heavy lifter multi rotor copter.... we also flew the canon mark3 which seemed a little more stable..... we assume its the extra weight.....
    thanks

Chris Monberg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris, what lens, stabilization on or off. Also there are multiple other threads that might address it. Do a search on A7s

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Being seeing a lot of this and I was afraid that I would get the same results, but mine was ultra stable. This is with the A7s2 stabilization on. Also with the zeiss 24-70 with OSS but I don't know how it handles the lens stabilization vs the internal. I only did a short test and saw no problems.
    Similar setup- M5, heavy lift X8, latest firmware. I did autotune at 90% and brought it down a little from there. Pan stiffness near 190, Roll, 80-90, Tilt 50-60 range. (best to my memory) This is with no extra weight on the cam.

BTW- I did a test using the internal recording 4k/1080 with different picture profile modes. Any S-LOG profile will show significant banding on gradients like skies and such. To my eye Cine2 will give you the best place to start from and has much reduced banding to make it unnoticeable. I don't see a significant dynamic range difference between S-log when everything is lit up nicely. Also, you can go down to 100 ISO and possibly avoid using ND. For shoots with people, the S-Log 3 seems to have great skin tones, but for aerial and exterior wides, stay away.

Andreas Riem and Chris Monberg like this.
  4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Some folks are adding weights to the M5 with lighter camera/lens combos. Tim, your 24-70 is a relatively heavy lens, which might explain your success.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

You could be right, Steve. Someday I'll test with a lighter lens.
    Something else I was thinking about is how to add weight. If the weight was solidly mounted on a rod parallel to the camera plate, with the weight being equally distributed on each end, then you could add the minimal amount of weight for maximum inertial effect. At least in the theory of my mind. :)

6. Chris Monberg

Chris Monberg New Member

stabilization off and 24 sony prime... echo anti vibration mount
    Thanks Chris
    FullSizeRender.jpeg

7. Chris Monberg

Chris Monberg New Member

Thanks so much ill try your settings...... Are your arms the same length as pictured here? we were thinking the camera might be to close to the props??

C

8. Chris Monberg

Chris Monberg New Member

are you running 5.0 beta ??

9. Chris Monberg

Chris Monberg New Member

Hi gary
    Thanks for your time
    Could you please take a look at the updated info and picture and let me know if you have any other suggestions or comments?
    is the 5.0 beta version any better for my needs?
    Thanks
    Chris

10. Craig Parry

Craig Parry New Member

Hi Chris
    Did you sort out the M5 and the SOny A7r2?? I have had my set up for over 5 months and have tried everything to get a smooth clean shot but had absolutely no luck, Im ready to accept the A7 and M5 are not good together in the air.

11. Adam Etheridge

Hi Craig

Sounds like we've been having similar problems. Happy to say we've pretty much got a rock solid picture now (M5 + A7sII + Metabones + canon prime)

We've changed the following:
    1. Updated to 5.0 akira
    2. Added some weights to the cage (FF's suggestion). We fitted 2 of these to the vertical bars of the cage:
    http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/CADB15...lit_-40377-p?gclid=CJGe88auhMsCFYu6GwodlioFiA
    3. Set output filter to 1, and re-tuned the above (75% autotune)
    4. Raised hold strength across the board to 20

... i get very occasional instability, but generally solid. Am going to finally try raising the hold strength up to as much as 30 to see if it irons out the last few wrinkles.

Hope this helps,
    Adam

Andreas Riem and Steve Maller like this.
  12. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

What are the best camera settings ? I mean shutter speed ? Is 1/60 or 1/80 better ?

13. Adam Etheridge

Hi Tomasz - how do you mean? Shutter speed just depends on the 'look' you're going for (in terms on motion blur etc)... it shouldn't come in to play in terms of stability with a properly performing gimbal. As a general rule we tend to use a 180˚shutter.

14. Tomasz Gladys

Tomasz Gladys New Member

Hi Adam, most probably you are lucky with global shutter camera. In case of most another cameras with Rolling Shutter you might find problems with jello effect in case your shutter speed is faster then 1/80 :(
    In case of stability of setup A7SII+MOVI M5, I'm pretty happy about the outcome.
    Please find attached link to my recent video:
    Regards,
    Tom

15. Adam Etheridge

Hi Tom

Non of our aerial systems use cameras with a global shutter (Red dragon, A7sii, BM micro) You shouldn't need to use shutter speed to get a solid stable image. If your getting jello then either your vibration isolation isn't working properly and is allowing micro vibrations to reach the camera. Or the gimbal isn't tuned properly. Hope that helps.