/dist/images/branding/favicon

Problem with one engine

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Fernando García, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Fernando García

Fernando García New Member

Hi everyone, hope you guys are well.
    After i plug the battery, all engines roll and do their sound as usual, but when starting on the engines, one is off.
    What i got to do?
    Im based in Los Cabos, México.
    Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Fernando we are going to need some more information. What are you using for motors, flight control system, power distribution, Esc's? Have you checked that all motor wires are securely attached? When you say they all roll does that mean you see each of them 'twitch' as power is applied?

3. Fernando García

ok sure, thanks!
    the motors are Quadrocopter, Graupner mx-20, mikrokpter.
    and yes each of them "twitch" as power applied... but as i said, after start the engines, one is not working, no power enough on the drone to try a take off

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Since you are using Mikrokopter. You might check the BL/ESC solder joints as well as the wires like Gary mentioned. If there is a weak solder joint you could have one wire not really providing enough current. You might want to plug into Kopter tools and see if you have a BL error. I once had one BL go offline and gave an error code for a bad BL address. If there is a BL error the system will not let you throttle up to takeoff if my memory serves well. Plugging into Koptertools may give you an idea of a system error.

Check and see if there is any debris on the Power Distribution Board also.

5. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

you could also try motor test on the bad engine through mk tools. TAKE OFF PROPS FIRST!!

if that fails try swaping the motor over to good motor then you know if the motor fail or bl fail.

6. Fernando García

the motors are Quadrocopter, Graupner mx-20, mikrokpter.
    and yes each of them "twitch" as power applied... but as i said, after start the engines, one is not working, no power enough on the drone to try a take off

it is the first time i will use Kopter tools, can you explain what is BL and ESC, thanks for your patience!
    i buy it ready to fly, so it will be the first time for me check on Kopter tools ... Again Thanks!

7. Shaun Stanton

ESC and BL are the Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC). The more common vernacular is ESC. Mikrokopter refers to them as brushless motor controllers or BL's for short. Two different words for the same device. They are what send three phased pulses to the motors. They are the things on the square ring on the hub that have three wires soldered going to each motor. The circuit board has each one labeled for which motor they belong to. I believe no 1 is top left and increases clockwise. Its been a while since I flew Mikropter so I am brain dumping more and more of it every day.

8. Fernando García

Thanks a lot Shaun, i really appreciate your help!
    i already check one engine at a time with Koptertools and engine 6 is not working, so i will check the circuit board today ...

Thanks again!

9. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Fernando try unplugging motor 6 and switching a motor over the bad one just to make sure the bearing of the motor is not damaged its way cheaper and easier then replace a bearing then to replace the Mircokpoter bl board

10. Fernando García

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your help!

I already check switching motor, and all is fine there. I just saw the red led blinking 4 times on the BL, i read about it and it says that the Shunt is broken, so i need to replace it or what i got to do?
    Cheers!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Fernando: Yes, you will need to replace the BL-Ctrl. As I recall Dave King wrote several postings on the forum on how to do this. I'll see if I can find them.

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Cannot find the specific item from Dave King, but do a Google search for: mikrokopter replacing bl-ctrl
    There are several hits that look promising.

Oh....one question. Are you using BL-Ctrl 3.0? If so, those are not independently replaceable if they are on the Quattro board.

Andy

13. Shaun Stanton

I remember doing it once and it was a real PITA to get the bad BL off. If I recall the Capacitors are soldered on both ends and the solder Germany uses is not real nice to undo. Of course its probably cake with your Gucci soldering station with the vacuum motorized de-soldering iron.

14. Fernando García

thanks a LOT Andy,

im using BL'Ctrl 2.0 on mikrokopter board... i will check some links!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Fernando: In which case Shaun's comments apply. if you're handy with a soldering iron you should have no problem. If you're not sure which end is the hot end, then you might want to see if you can find someone who is comfortable soldering. As Shaun said, the capacitors on the BL-Ctrl are soldered on and actually attach the individual BL-Ctrl's to the power distribution board with the same connection, as I recall.

Andy.

16. Fernando García

Ok, i will find someone to help me with soldering, thanks Andy!