/dist/images/branding/favicon

IMU/Battery Placement CS X8 Wookong

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alex Fuller, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Been flying my CS X8 with a single 12,000 centered on the top for some time now, and I still have been getting "Bad IMU Status" indicators even with the new IMU V2 (WKM, 5.26). I am attributing this to being top heavy and since the IMU is located below the battery and above the PDB, plus normal vibrations throughout the frame.

My plan is to go for dual batteries on booms 3 and 6 to free up the center frame for better avionics placement, but my question is what battery sizes to go for? I have been getting around 10-12 minutes with my 12k and a Zenmuse/GH4 payload, but i think two 12K's might be an overkill for that payload. We still will be flying heavier payloads such as RED/RoninM as well so I'll need to save some AUW for that as well (two 10ks?)

What dual battery set up/payload/flight times is everyone running on their X8's? I am thinking dualies between 7000-10000mah. Also have to consider traveling with lipos: easier to have two small ones rather than one monster.

Propulsion is: KDE 4014's, 17inch props, 60a ESC, Gryphon PDB.

2. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Attached Files:

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

I run two 10000mah tattu batterys with mine getting about 15mins flying time with a 5dmk

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I wonder if the issue is the IMU placement being on the high standoffs. I can see possibility of vibrations amplifying like a tuning fork on the hub. I am using the no longer available Freefly PDB set which sits snug on the frame hub. It allows for lower clearance for a plate that I use to put all of the DJI stuff on. My battery plate almost sits on the IMU which is dead center on the frame.

Attached Files:

5. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

How does the ronin look in flight?

6. Shaun Stanton

Looks good. I have flown both the M10 and the two Ronin's. The Ronin M is little more finicky with balance. I have to do a cloud dance to get an A7S with a Shogun to balance well on the M. If the Ronin M is not balanced perfectly it rolls with pans. The full Ronin flies nice though. Between the Ronin and the M10 I cant tell the difference. Although the M10 gives a bit more flight time for equivalent payload. About a minute and change more.

7. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

What firmware are you using on the ronin m? And did you change anything in tuening the ronin for the air? I get small bumps in forward flight on the pitch axis and can't figure it out.

8. Shaun Stanton

We had that too, when first trying out the M. Almost reminiscent of the Radian days, but not quite as bad:) I believe we solved it by bumping up the stiffness for the tilt axis. Edit: We have the latest firmware on it. I have a camera assistant now that is the master of the gimbal and does all the tuning and balancing, which makes me happy as gimbal setup is my least favorite thing to do. I am prepping for a shoot for tomorrow I will see what we have on board and get back to you.

9. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Thank so much Shaun for any info you could pass along, I'm going crazy with this, hahaha have a great shoot .

10. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

That makes sense, I just dont really have many places to mount it on the frame with my current electronics. I have moved my batteries to the outside and moved the IMU south a bit as to not be directly over the PDB, so I'm gonna give that a go. The CG is more balanced now which I hope will help. I will also switch to plastic standoffs now since there is no battery up top to see if that cuts down the vibration. Otherwise I may have to do something about the folding hinges which I now think may be the culprit.

Attached Files:

11. Shaun Stanton

Hopefully that should work.